For Those Still Attending Meetings

by JH 6 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

For those who still go to the mettings once in a while, did you notice if the elder visits to inactive ones is paying off? Are some coming back to the hall?

Have they mentioned a couple of names of people who have decided to quit for good? Is there alot of gossip about this at the hall?

• Dansk
    Dansk

Hi JH,

Interesting thought. I received a 'phone call last Sunday from a "lapsed" JW. He's been out since 1975 and 'phoned to tell me that he's been visited by an elder who wants to call round every Friday evening and go through the 'Knowledge Book' with him. I mean, no shepherding calls in 28 years and now they want to get him back to the hall! Things must be desperate in Watchtower land................

Is this an attempt to threaten DA and DF to anyone who's been out for years? Well, if you're gonna be free let them make it official!

• greven
    greven

In my congregation there is not much change. I have noted though that as soon as I show my nose in there they jump me for an 'appointment'. Needless to say I don't show up there anymore. Funny. However they never call or just stop by my house. They are either not that zealous in getting inactives back OR they really do not want me back. They didnt like my questions anyway so... who knows.

Greven

• Francois
    Francois

Greven, I'm with you. My questions to the elders were frequently so pointed, and so revealing of the true nature of things, it had evolved that they didn't want to talk to me at all the last few years I was in.

You know how many of the brothers make a living cleaning apartments and such? One elder I worked for had purloined an electric meter from someplace and when we went in to clean an apartment, he would cut the security tab off the meter for that apartment, remove the current meter, and replace it with his "funny" meter. I know, of course this was illegal, a felony in my state; but there was further testimony about his knowing crime by the fact that he kept a weather eye out for the electric company truck all day, and when we switched meters at the end of the day, he would attempt to make the security tab look like it had not been tampered with. And THIS was one of the guys sent to "adjust my thinking" when I was on the way out - - - along with a guy who was three sheets on Mattingly & Moore when they showed up. It was a hoot. Um, they didn't seem to like the questions I had to ask about stealing electricity and showing up shit-faced for an elder call. This is what can come if you demonstrate you're niether impressed with nor fearful of this bunch of phonies. Cowards all, they act just like cowards the world over: a quick punch on the nose and they're at your feet.

Thought you'd get a charge out of that little story.

francois

• Dansk
    Dansk

Francois,

If that's really you in the picture, I believe you about the punch on the nose! Peace man!

• greven
    greven
    Thought you'd get a charge out of that little story.

I certainly did, francois!

I have one elder in my congregation that was reproved 3 times and disfellowshipped twice for the same offence (when he dated girls he had a tendency to go to far). Soon (3 months) after he got reinstated he got himself appointed servant, and after about 6 months became elder (just like his daddy). This guy should tell me how to live?! Gimme a break!

Some of the elders in my congregation seem educated, but when you scratch the surface by asking questions you will find them to be empty shells. Alot of it is pretending to be righteous, and educated. When I started asking really interesting questions involving dicrepancies in their litterature they replied by claiming I study with the wrong intentions, I should let the holy spirit 'guide' me in my search for truth, my motivation was wrong etc etc. The best part I think is when they hurl texts at you, just sit back and say you want to read the context as well, usually they take it out of context, confronting them with this is very satisfying. Anyway, the result was that they could not pin me down on anything yet, and they refuse to consider my investigation findings as long as I study with the wrong attitude. I should study with the intention of conforming our religion rather than finding fault . They leave me alone for now, and that suits me just fine.

Greven

• starfish422
    starfish422

I haven't had a visit in about three years; and they had been at two-year intervals until that time. But I told the elder (whom I didn't even buzz into my apartment building, just spoke to him through the security intercom LOL) that I did not wish to be contacted again. I guess it took.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit