by blondie 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• blondie
    blondie

COMMENTS YOU WILL NOT HEAR AT THE 3/1/03 WT STUDY

JANUARY 15, 2003 WT

HOW STRONG IS YOUR FAITH?

2 Corinthians 1:24

2 Corinthians 1 (NLT)

24 But that does not mean we want to tell you exactly how to put your faith into practice. We want to work together with you so you will be full of joy as you stand firm in your faith.

2 Corinthians 1 (CEV)

24 We are not bosses who tell you what to believe. We are working with you to make you glad, because your faith is strong .

The WTS uses a "snippet" scripture as its theme scripture this week. It leaves out the most important part:

24 Not that we are the masters over YOUR faith, but we are fellow workers for YOUR joy , for it is by [YOUR] faith that YOU are standing. Can you think of a reason why they would direct attention away from that thought? Who do act as "masters over your faith" and are not "fellow workers for your joy"?

Introduction

"Faith is not a possession of all people."

"show you my faith by my works."

"faith the size of a mustard grain"

"And all the things YOU ask in prayer, having faith, YOU will receive."

"YOU see that a man is to be declared righteous by works, and not by faith alone."

Can you think of any other scriptures on faith? Do works or faith matter with the WTS? If a JW or an ex-JW, what were your experiences? Is there a Law the JWs follow, an unwritten Talmud?

Hebrews 11 (NLT)

6 So, you see, it is impossible to please God without faith . Anyone who wants to come to him must believe that there is a God and that he rewards those who sincerely seek him.

So who are we seeking to please, God or the WTS? Are they synonymous?

Can we

pray for holy spirit and faith without going through the WTS?

Can we

imitate the faith of fellow believers who put faith in the WTS that brought you such flip-flops as who the superior authorities are, transplants, screaming during rape, and the resurrection of the people of Sodom and Gomorrah?

www.Quotes.JehovahsWitnesses.com

Our faith will become stronger if we persist in pursuing the course that God’s Word sets out for all Christians. (Translation: the course that the WTS sets out)

Increased faith can result from daily Bible reading and diligent study of the Scriptures with the help of publications provided through "the faithful steward"

(note Luke 12:42-44 was used).

10/1/94 WT page 8

Even as Bible prophecy pointed forward to the Messiah, it also directs us to the close-knit body of anointed Christian Witnesses that now serve as the faithful and discreet slave. It helps us to understand the Word of God. All who want to understand the Bible should appreciate that the "greatly diversified wisdom of God" can become known only through Jehovah’s channel of communication, the faithful and discreet slave . John 6:68.

We are encouraged by one another’s faith through our regular presence at Christian meetings, assemblies, and conventions.

It certainly isn’t through the "well-prepared" talks and comments that we are encouraged. We aren’t encouraged by being ignored by Sister Snooty and Sister Elder’s Wife before and after the meetings for the 2 nd year in a row because our husband is not even a JW. We aren’t encouraged by the family sitting next to us at the assembly/convention that runs away when we try to introduce ourselves, saying, "we have to meet our friends." Like what are we, chopped liver?!

By offering Scriptural counsel (translation: xeroxed WT publications) and encouragement (to do more), loving (themselves) Christian (WTS) elders help us to build up our faith (record of works in the organization, hours, magazines, RVs, bible studies).

Of course, nobody else can exercise faith for us or make us loyal integrity keepers. (translation: but they can certainly try by judging us as failures) ‘we must carry our own load.’ (translation: don’t bother the elders with your petty problems).

FAITH GIVES US COURAGE

Faith strengthens us to declare God’s word (the WTS dogma) with courage. (Enoch)

How did Jehovah reward Enoch’s faithfulness?

God "took him" by putting him to sleep in death, apparently (translation: this is our interpretation and there is no scriptural basis) without allowing him to suffer its pangs. We do not experience such miracles (I should hope not!).

Noah was "scoffed at"

even as some scoff when we (WTS) provide Scriptural proof (WTS propaganda) that the present system of things will soon (since 1874, 128 years this has been preached) be destroyed. Even Noah only preached 40 years.

FAITH MAKES US PATIENT (WAIT ON JEHOVAH)

We need faith and patience, especially as we await the end of this wicked system (which is coming SOON).

Now the WTS backpedals by using the example of Abraham who did not receive the fulfillment of the promise in his lifetime.

Hebrews 11 (NIV)

13 All these people were still living by faith when they died . They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance. And they admitted that they were aliens and strangers on earth.

Hebrews 11 (NLT)

13 All these faithful ones died without receiving what God had promised them , but they saw it all from a distance and welcomed the promises of God. They agreed that they were no more than foreigners and nomads here on earth.

Is the WTS suggesting that we will possibly die in this system of things without seeing the promise? What about "Millions Now Living Will Never Die"?

Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob did not bring the Promised Land under their control and they did not see all nations bless themselves by means of Abraham’s seed.

Would not become a reality until centuries had passed.

Is the WTS implying that centuries could pass before JWs receive the promise of the end during their lifetime?

FAITH GIVES US THE HIGHEST GOALS (HELPING THE WTS)

Faith similarly gives us spiritual goals that enable us to resist assimilation [B(ethel)org(anization] into the world.

Goals set out recently by the CO: Get numbers up in hours, magazine placement, return visits, bible studies, meeting attendance, too many irregular because not turning time in.

Joseph served as Egypt’s food administrator but it was not his goal to be a great man of this world (translation: it wasn’t his goal but it is useful to have important men with college degrees helping the WTS).

Faith like that of Joseph should move us to pursue goals far higher than worldly prominence (translation: basic education and cleaning toilets).

Moses

chose to be ill-treated rather than have the temporary enjoyment of sin as a well-educated member of Egypt’s royal family. This cost him worldly prestige and perhaps (buzzword meaning that the next words are speculation by the WTS) a grand burial in an ornate coffin at some renowned Egyptian site. (translation: give up your cushy job or college education to be a regular pioneer. Bethel applications have been suspended)

Is prestigious secular advancement what you desire, or has faith given you much higher spiritual goals? (translation: making the national average)

FAITH RESULTS IN A REWARDING LIFE (SLAVING FOR THE WTS)

Faith gives people not only the highest goals but also a rewarding life. Rahab of Jericho must have found little meaning in her life as a harlot.

I guess you can’t go anywhere but up if you are a Canaanite harlot.

She married a servant of Jehovah, not an unbelieving Canaanite.

Although Jewish men could marry unbelieving Canaanites.

Deuteronomy 21 (NIV)
    10 When you go to war against your enemies and the LORD your God delivers them into your hands and you take captives, 11 if you notice among the captives a beautiful woman and are attracted to her, you may take her as your wife. 12 Bring her into your home and have her shave her head, trim her nails 13 and put aside the clothes she was wearing when captured. After she has lived in your house and mourned her father and mother for a full month, then you may go to her and be her husband and she shall be your wife. 14 If you are not pleased with her, let her go wherever she wishes. You must not sell her or treat her as a slave, since you have dishonored her.

FAITH BOLSTERED BY ASSURANCE (IN THE WTS)

Although we walk by faith, we may sometimes need assurance of divine help (increases in numbers in WTS?). That was true of Judge Gideon.

Judge Gideon put out a fleece and demanded that God perform 2 miracles. Can we do the same? What miracle would convince you that God was backing the WTS?

How does the WTS apply this?

We actually show faith by consulting the Bible and

Guess what? Yes, you’ve got it:

Christian (not Bible-based?) publications and by praying for the guidance of the holy spirit (through the spirit-directed organization) when making decisions.

The faith of Judge Barak was bolstered by assurance in the form of encouragement.

From his fellow soldiers? Nooooooooooooo! From a woman.

The prophetess (also a judge) Deborah spurred him on to take the initiative.

This is the scriptural basis for all elderettes and eldresses.

FAITH PROMOTES PEACE

Faith promotes peace and tranquility (translation: uniformity and complete obedience to the WTS).

Citing the disagreement between Abraham’s herdsmen and Lot’s, the WTS says we must give in and put the other’s interests first (translation: WTS first, you second).

The next accounts are speculative because the WTS uses "apparent," "apparently," and "most likely." Beware these buzzwords.

FAITH ENABLES US TO ENDURE

Perhaps we are distressed because a baptized member of our family has disobeyed God by marrying an unbeliever.

Now the WTS cites 1 Corinthians 7:39 about marrying in the Lord but does not mention the previous scripture Deuteronomy 21:10-14. Hmmmmmmmmmm?

Then they give the account where Boaz marries Ruth, a Gentile woman. But she endured adversity and was rewarded.

Conclusion

Faith is described in the Bible:

Hebrews 11 (NLT)
    Great Examples of Faith
    1 What is faith? It is the confident assurance that what we hope for is going to happen. It is the evidence of things we cannot yet see.

Do you believe in things you have not seen and touched. Even the most definite realists among us will have to admit they do believe in such things.

I am not going to debate faith with people any more than I debate who will win the Super Bowl. I do not know what you know and have not experienced what you have.

Whatever faith you think you have, make sure it is not based on the research and work of another (including me). Understand what really matters.

Philippians 1 (NLT)
    9 I pray that your love for each other will overflow more and more, and that you will keep on growing in your knowledge and understanding. 10 For I want you to understand what really matters , so that you may live pure and blameless lives until Christ returns.

Blondie

• jgnat
    jgnat

Blondie, you are just zipping ahead! I can't keep up. The "gentle fade" must agree with you.

One of the most irritating phrases that the odd JW apologist uses when stumbling on to this site is, "I've got faith." I have heard my honey use the phrase as well, when I challenge him on a point of doctrine. I get the feeling this phrase is used as an all-purpose brain-salve to ease tortured brain cells taxed beyond their limit. There is also an implication in this statement that the hearer does not have faith. After I had heard that all-purpose phrase one too many times, I wrote a story about faith on this site.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/45422/641915/post.ashx#641915

What about the kind of faith that people have in each other? Is it at not least a reflection of the nature of faith in God? Does this kind of faith have anything to do with meeting attendance and time cards?

• blondie
    blondie

HI, jgnat.

I have had some sleepless nights. Darn medication they put me on. Had to do something with the time.

I am looking over your six principles post and doing a little study myself.

I have printed out the stuff on faith to take to work to read on break. I remember the days I took my WT magazines. Never again. I read the study articles only for my reviews and I can't take a chance of a JW at work seeing those margin comments.

Rearranging the letters of 'Faith, Hope and Charity' gives:

Oh, pray that I find each.

Blondie(I saw the light)

• rebel
    rebel

Bl

• rebel
    rebel

Blondie,

Sorry about above - happens every time I repy!!

Thank you for this commentary - I will take it to the meeting on Sunday - I don't want to go but have been sort of forced into it by my 'loving' husband. At least I will have this to relieve the boredom.

xxR

• blondie
    blondie

rebel, I feel for you. My loving husband stays home now with me. Even reading them makes my blood boil, but the reviews help me put things into perspective. It is all shame and guilt and fear of being DF'd that keeps them in now.

Blondie

• crownboy
    crownboy

Thanks, blondie, your reviews are always appreciated by me, as otherwise I probably would never know what was in a Watchtower magazine (inspite of technically being a "regular publisher". Funny how I always manage to go out one hour a month, and the only time I go to meeting is once a month to report that I've been out for one hour a month ). It's just so amazing how coded the Watchtower magazine could be; a regular "wordly" person would never pick up on a lot of the things that are so obvious to an active JW, and are super obvious to us.

BTW, just out of curiousity, what is your belief in the bible? Not trying to start a debate or anything, just wondering because I have no clue.

• confuzcious
    confuzcious

Blondie,

Love your "Will Not Hear" posts a lot.

But just a suggestion since I don't have the Watchtowers...

It gets confusing sometimes to see when the Watchtower is talking and when you are making your comment.

I was wondering if you could diferenciate between the two better. Something like "My Quotes always in Red" or something or in another font.

Maybe you already do that, but it seems inconsistant to me.

Thanks

• blondie
    blondie

Crownboy, thanks for your comments. I'm always learning myself about the buzzwords, quotes from 'worldly' sources without identifying the person or source material, quoting from old WTS publications most JWs have no access to to verify, etc.

As to the Bible. I still value the practical aspects of the Bible when applied or lived by. I no longer attempt to interpret any prophecies and figure that living the best life I can according to those scriptural principles will mean I don't have to know when the end is coming. Jesus gave the signs to the early Christians because they actually had to flee to a physical location. Not so for future Christians assuming that prophecy has a second fulfillment. I believe that Jesus is historical and I retain my faith in Jesus as the promised Messiah. I try to be a spiritual person as opposed to a religious person and I am not looking for another organized religion. There are many other points I am still struggling with, is God's name Jehovah, Yahweh, or something else? What do I call God when I pray? How do I rid myself of the JW mindset in my Bible study program starting out from square one, which is hard to find?

I know that there are many fine people here who believe differently and I can still respect them and love them and vice versa. In the end, I ascribe to this as to what it means to worship God:

1 John 4 (CEV) 19 We love because God loved us first. 20 But if we say we love God and don't love each other, we are liars. We cannot see God. So how can we love God, if we don't love the people we can see? 21 The commandment that God has given us is: "Love God and love each other!"

and

Hi confuzcious (I love his words and studied them for a year in college)

Sorry, originally when I started my series I did mention that. I will put it at the beginning of each review from now on. It was hard for me to manipulate the "quote" feature on the old DB. I will try using the new one and see if it is easier now.

Welcome as a new commenter. I know more people read than comment (like the KH) but I don't insist that people comment. I love people's insights and additional views.

Blondie(I saw the light)

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Rock on blondie........I always smile as I read the review; I see myself each time as I sit through another torture session, zinging the bad writing in my head even as I hear the pubs regurgitating the info back to the too-happy conductor.

I got a reminder of how really bad the writing is these days as I looked back at the Commentary on the letter of James. What a difference! These days, all we hear is:

requirements

FDS

anointed ones and their companions

How rare it is for them to address the lowly OS directly as christians, or to simply describe the love of God and Jesus for believers, and let that just motivate us. Instead, they constantly club us with shoulds, musts, requirements. I was especially apalled at the study article on the memorial, wherein they take aim at the poor souls who partook mistakenly. In the past they have just looked on it as an honest mistake, easily made I think. BUT not now, no sir. Now, they remind us that Korah was KILLED by Jehovah for presumptuously usurping the priesthood, and say that such ones should stop partaking and humbly ask God for forgiveness.

Yikes. If it wasn't criminal, it would be funny.

PISTOFF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit