The morning after I KILLED myself...

by Divergent 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Divergent
    Divergent

A very thought provoking poem...

The Morning After I Killed Myself

The morning after I killed myself, I woke up. I made myself breakfast in bed. I added salt and pepper to my eggs and used my toast for a cheese and bacon sandwich. I squeezed a grapefruit into a juice glass. I scraped the ashes from the frying pan and rinsed the butter off the counter. I washed the dishes and folded the towels.

The morning after I killed myself, I fell in love. Not with the boy down the street or the middle school principal. Not with the everyday jogger or the grocer who always left the avocados out of the bag. I fell in love with my mother and the way she sat on the floor of my room holding each rock from my collection in her palms until they grew dark with sweat. I fell in love with my father down at the river as he placed my note into a bottle and sent it into the current. With my brother who once believed in unicorns but who now sat in his desk at school trying desperately to believe I still existed.

The morning after I killed myself, I walked the dog. I watched the way her tail twitched when a bird flew by or how her pace quickened at the sight of a cat. I saw the empty space in her eyes when she reached a stick and turned around to greet me so we could play catch but saw nothing but sky in my place. I stood by as strangers stroked her muzzle and she wilted beneath their touch like she did once for mine.

The morning after I killed myself, I went back to the neighbors’ yard where I left my footprints in concrete as a two year old and examined how they were already fading. I picked a few daylilies and pulled a few weeds and watched the elderly woman through her window as she read the paper with the news of my death. I saw her husband spit tobacco into the kitchen sink and bring her her daily medication. The morning after I killed myself, I watched the sun come up. Each orange tree opened like a hand and the kid down the street pointed out a single red cloud to his mother.

The morning after I killed myself, I went back to that body in the morgue and tried to talk some sense into her. I told her about the avocados and the stepping stones, the river and her parents. I told her about the sunsets and the dog and the beach. The morning after I killed myself, I tried to unkill myself, but couldn’t finish what I started.

By: Meggie Royer

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    How incredibly poignant. Its often been said that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. If anyone is entertaining thoughts of hurting yourself, please, please reach out to someone!
  • zophar
    zophar
    Thanks so much.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Thank you for posting that Just Kidding.
  • SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass

Great poem, thanks for sharing. Suicide is one of those things in life which I am unable to comprehend no matter how much I try. It's not just the victim's life which is a tragedy but the black hole of anger, resentment, sorrow and confusion they leave behind. One of my best friends who I grew up with and served with in the military shot himself in front of me over a girlfriend breaking up with him. The guy had been through so much in life and triumphed over adversity and every challenge - he was tough, smart and a genuinely good guy - yet a break up over some girl he'd only been dating for a few months was more than he could handle. To this day I blame myself for having not moved in quickly and taken the rifle from him the moment he began stuffing coins into his mouth. Twenty years later and I still wake up soaked with sweat from nightmares that day caused.

He ruined a part of me, his family, friends and his brothers-in-arms. I will never be able to make sense of suicide or fathom just how deeply destructive their emotional state is and how it can cause someone to make that decision. A Suicide for me is one of the most tragic events on the planet. Not just a waste of life but how could the person possibly not see that he/she would get over the problem eventually, that there are people who are concerned for them and will do everything possible to help? That's the real tragedy.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Wow!

So well written....

• Dumplin
    Dumplin
    i liked it.
  • DwainBowman
    DwainBowman

; Good poem!

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog
    To whoever down voted village idiot: 'just kidding' is the user name of the person he was talking to.
  • kaik
    kaik

"Suicide for me is one of the most tragic events on the planet. Not just a waste of life but how could the person possibly not see that he/she would get over the problem eventually, that there are people who are concerned for them and will do everything possible to help? That's the real tragedy."

Suicide is issue that is very little debated, but it affects so many families. Many times, it solved permanently temporary issues. However, not all suicides are the same, there is also a deep cultural context (some societies are prone to high level suicides like East Asia, Eastern Europe, and Scandinavia). For many people it was a way to end pain/illness and leave a world with dignity. I had a good, close friend who chose this path. He had a renal disease that was causing him unbelievable pain and at the end he was disabled on dialysis machine. Before his suicide he wrote me very nice long letter, his farewell, and ended his life. His girlfriend told me that he was in so much pain that his suicide was liberation for him. He was no more suffering.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit