JWs V Demons V The Bible

by SpannerintheWorks 10 Replies latest jw friends

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

During a conversation about "demons" over the weekend, a JW relative exclaimed " well, demons do not like the "Divine Name" very much!"

Understanding what she obviously meant, I replied, "but isn't there reference in the bible that "true christians" have nothing to fear of demons?"

(Well, I think there is.) She didn't think that there is any such reference, but I said I would do a bit of "research" which is what this post is

about!

Can anybody provide any information, opinion or biblical references as mentioned above? Apart from helping to respond to my relative, any such

references would be helpful to refute the JW obsession with demons and their belief that demonic influences can explain why they don't always

get things right and need "new light" to correct doctrinal mistakes caused by demons!

Thanks.

Spanner

• jgnat
    jgnat

Here is some food for thought. I am guessing you were thinking of the first scripture.

Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. (James 4:7 NIV)

I find the second one interesting, because the JW's are so exclusive. Jesus was always inclusive.

"Teacher," said John, "we saw a man driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us." "Do not stop him," Jesus said. "No one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me, for whoever is not against us is for us. I tell you the truth, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to Christ will certainly not lose his reward. (Mark 9:38-41 NIV)

The third one is for anyone who has been told that Jehovah does not hear their prayers any more.

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:38-39 NIV)

Ha! My first successful edit.

• Gerard
    Gerard

So how do you edit????

• Sargon
    Sargon

Gerard,

If you go to your posting history, then the specific story, at the top of the page where it says ACTION:

you will see the edit feature. There may be an easier way but this worked for me, hope I helped.

Editted to add: just click on your name in the thread you want and it all pops up like I said.

Editted to add: Gerard: after you've clicked your name, click your posting history, select your post then click edit... honest it works, i've just done it twice.

• Gerard
    Gerard

Saw that but It only accesses my profile editing...

As far as demons go...they are as unreal and ficticious as these electrons "dancing"

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

...."true christians" have nothing to fear of demons"....

True Christians may not, but who is a true Christian? Who can avoid licentuous thinking, and who can prevent his hand straying where it ought not go? Such "weaknesses" are portals, doors of entry thru which Satanic mind may gain entry to our own thought processes.

As one who had trouble controlling his own thinking and behaviour as a Witness, the Open Bible on the bed side table at night provided minimal protection.

• wednesday
    wednesday
    I still got some periodic problems with the boogie men. Had a pretty bad night last night actually, I get these maybe once every couple months. Im on medication at the moment, this may be responsible to a degree for last nights demon paranoia attack I had. I get the attacks a LOT less than I used to, but, wheras the frequency is reduced greatly, the intensity of the attacks is up . I know its all in my head, but unfortunately it seems to be the only thing from the dub experience that i still havent fully worked out and abandoned.

RF, u posted to my thread back in september. It was my first thread, almost my first post. i took quite a beating on that thread, but i felt very unthreatned by your kind words here. I still believe they exist, but they do not seem to bother me like they used to. maybe i'm past the point?

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Wednesday.

It does reduce with time, I find. It also helps to avoid reading material and cinema that deals with the subject. What you dont take into your head, you dont think about. Im pretty much over it myself, but have occassional bouts of paranoia about the Demons.

I hope you continue to be "over it".

• Gerard
    Gerard

I'm sorry to hear many of you have not deprogrammed yet silly fears. The way I see it is like this:

JW WTBTS

You are making a publisher filthy rich with your slave labor. And to add insult to injury, you allow them to kcontrol you with FEAR!

Life can be fun. Forget this cult. Live.

• wednesday
    wednesday

I suppose they are "silly fears", but for some they are real. U cannnot undue a lifetime of progrmming with a few words. JWS are not the only people who believe in "spirit" creatures, be it demons, angels, fairys,smurfs, aliens,whatever. Belief in angels is almost mainstream; so if one can believe in'good spirits" why is it is hard ot believe that there may be "bad spirits".?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit