Why the Stagnation?

by Stephanus 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Posting seems to have slowed down incredibly in the last few days. Is this some sort of frustration with the newlook board mainifesting itself?

• Mac
    Mac

Now ya see 'em....now ya don't! Yeppers--frustrating indeed.

mac

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey Steph,I think a few trolls are re-grouping..We get random hits of them depending on whose cage JWD is rattling...OUTLAW

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Steph. The whole thing has been killed stone dead by the rules that have been initiated. Its too polite. No swearing, no fighting. Noones got anything to say. Leastways, nothing worth hearing unless you think smurfs are interesting. The fact is, most people are just too dim witted to have anything interesting to say. Anyway, the board is as dead as a doornail and I dont see why i should make an asshole of myself to generate some action, someone else can do it, Ive done my bit. Either that or the whole sorry mess can sink into oblivion. Whatever.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Steph,

: Posting seems to have slowed down incredibly in the last few days. Is this some sort of frustration with the newlook board mainifesting itself?

I kind of spouted off at the mouth to Simon privately about his introduction of this new software before it is half-way stabilized and working.

Now, I feel guilty about it. Simon must be given credit for all his love and hard work, not to mention the money this is costing him.

I'll deal with it until he gets it right. The rest of you have the same choice, and I've already made mine: deal with it or hit the highway until this site satisfies you. Bitching about it (as I did to Simon, which was dumb) won't change a thing. Simon will make it work. He is a programmer and all real programmers have huge egos and will make a program right no matter what it takes, even if it means thermonuclear war, divorce, murder, or even worse, shoplifting! Such is the way with real programmers.

I speak with authority on this. I'm also a programmer. Real programmers have huge egos. Otherwise, they wouldn't be REAL programmers. It takes a lot to be a real programmer. Simon has another motive, which makes Real programmers very motivated: many people rely on his Site for comfort and help.

Yeah, he'll make it work. He's a Real programmer. With a heart. Don't worry about it!

Farkel

• Gopher
    Gopher

Even in its new format (and with its hiccups), new people are STILL joining the board in impressive numbers. Just like before.

As long as people are coming here and getting information, association, and empathy, I don't really see what the problem is!

BTW, I like the new feature where you can leave a fellow member a message right through this forum (without using external e-mail).

• Simon
    Simon

I expect the PM feature to remove a few of the personal posts (not a bad thing).

The post numbers were down a bit earlier in the week while there were more hiccups and it is always slower over the weekend. It is only slightly slower than it usually was though, looking at the number of posts made each day, it just all appears differently so is hard to judge. I expect it will remain down a bit until I've fixed all the bugs and stuff.

I don't see any problem loosing the insulting / attacking posts so if the posts are down because of the guidelines then I don't think this is any bad thing either.

If you look on active topics, you'll see that there is usually a post every minute or so which is pretty busy. It can be too busy which makes it hard to read / keep up.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Well...I don't think this forum or site is stagnant. It may not seem as active, but I would attribute that to the obvious format change, and also Simon is busy with whatever free time he has to fine tune this thing.

Yes, I have noticed that if I post, it may take quite awhile for it to pop-up, but it pops-up nonetheless.

The rules etc., can only lead to a general positive environment. When you go into some forums, the endless attacks and gripes can be exhausting. Some people just do not harbour a positive vibe nor do they want to. It becomes a 'Fight Club'. Sort of a 'same old-same old'. Other sites on the net, have similar rules. (not necessarily jw/xjw sites)

Have I in the past done similarly (above)? Yes, and it sucked bad in retrospect.

When and if I have had any things to 'say'; if and when I can, I write to the poster's e-mail address personally to seek clarification. I would much rather do that than act harshly or prematurely only to realize that I may have jumped the gun and made a complete ass of myself. Trust me, I have.

For those that value a forum different to this, well there are plenty others around. If I had the knowledge with computer software and website design, I suppose I could created my own.....the truth is, I don't. So, given that this site is done as a labour of love, I really dig its general vibe. I prefer it than the shit-slinging I've seen on others. As for 'too polite', I think one can gain plenty from a polite discussion rather than an angry shouting match. Politeness, I prefer it. Honing of ones interpersonal skills, never hurt anyone. It sure helped me and I've helped others as a result.

RR, I hope you'll give this site a bit of time, until the bugs are worked out. With the amount of posts you have contributed on here, I'd say your input has not gone to waste and for a period of time, you must have valued the forum to some extent. I'm sure many would miss your presence if you disappeared.

There's plenty of interesting comments/topics. Some are fluff and some are serious, worthy of discussion. For some, perhaps due to their comfort level or time away from the WTBTS, you'll get a whole range of forum posts/topics. Remember, some of that old JW addage still lingers with some. Takes time for some of that to disappear.

I'm sure in a few weeks, this baby will be fine tuned, and ready to roll.

New members come on here all the time. Some are merely visitors, and I suppose the fact that it exists, is validation for many. When and if they need to ask questions or seek some clarification from us apostates, they can without reprecussions.

Not stagnant, just in transition.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Wow. I posted about 2 hours ago and can finally see the thread I posted in the "active" . Im excited.

Prisca tells me she cant post at all. So I guess i should be gratefull.

Lol.

• Prisca
    Prisca

I can post NOW

I could see the forum ok from my work pc, but things have been so hectic lately at work and at home, that I could only put in a random post once every so often.

Now, for some reason, the forum works perfectly on my home pc. Now if only things were less hectic here at home and I'd have more time to post

If it's quieter around here, it might be because everyone is trying to get used to the new style, not to mention trying to navigate around all the glitches that were an inevitable part of the new forum style. It sure took me a while to work out how things worked, and I'm one of the oldtimers here!

Things will pick up in due course, not to mention the newbies who will come along, not knowing there ever was an "older" style to this site.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit