Is this a World Wide Pattern?

by Slidin Fast 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Hundreds baptized at Jehovah's Witness Convention

At first sight this Afican RC looks as though it's acheiving the quantity of baptisms of another era. 348 is a substantilal number and impressive until you see the Sunday attendance 28,300. So a baptism rate of 1.2%, in Africa. Where if anywhere is the marvelous epansion now taking place?

I think that the 'suits' will be horrified and alarmed at this state of affairs.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

In recent years, there have even been a couple of Circus Assemblies where NO ONE was baptized. The speaker gave the Baptism Talk to an empty front row of seats (as a reminder for all in the audience).

There were lots of whispers about it, but no one has the chutzpah to really say much else.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

The significant thing for me is that we are used to seing tiny percentage numbers being baptised in the US and Europe but Africa has been the focus of increase. Where now can this expansion be claimed?

• jonahstourguide
    jonahstourguide

Well, for what its worth, in Australia.

Regional convention last weekend in Melbourne at the Assembly Hall, recently re-furbished for just under 2 million dollars. Figures are as follows: Attendance 1,656

Baptized 7

Ages approx. 11, 12, 15, 19, 25, 45, 90. (first three born-ins)

So, am I correct in seeing a less than .5% increase??

However, the weather was not too bad for Melbourne and I enjoyed many a long walk through the grounds thereafter,,,,,,, It's healthy to walk I'm told.

jtg

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

They are in fact doing well in third world countries, in developing nations and in places where there's not lot of technology infrastructure. As soon as the Internet catches up...

• skin
    skin

20 years ago at our conventions there were 3500 + in attendance with more than 60 getting baptized. The last convention attendance had dropped to under 3000 and only 13 baptized. No change in territory boundaries.

• Are you serious
    Are you serious

I gave a baptism talk about 3 years ago in a Spanish circuit assembly on the West coast of the USA. Attendance was about 900 and 2 got baptized that day. So I would say yes it's definitely a trend, especially if it's now happening in the Spanish field also.

• Tech49
    Tech49

It is definitely a trend in the USA. I remember just a year or so ago, it was the first time in my life that I saw a big fat ZERO baptized at a circuit assembly. It was almost shocking. Even for me, I was pretty amazed! Even the speaker seemed a little unprepared for it! He stumbled and stammered his way thru his talk..... looking at the empty front row.......I couldnt help but think ¨so for 1500 of you, you couldnt even con 1 person into getting baptized??¨" Crazy? For all those hours and hours reported?

Since then, I had heard that an ¨unofficial¨ word went around from the CO to NOT let that happen again. And since then, we always have had at least 3 or so baptized, even if they are all under the age of 15.

Just a few weeks ago, at the Circuit Assembly, there were 1300 in attendance, 4 baptized, 3 kids under 15, and 1 really old dude!

Almost embarrassing!

• lancegalahadx
    lancegalahadx

@Tech49

What's the CO's recommendation for "not letting this happen again"? Threats with firearms to young people to "get baptized or else"? Jeeeeezzzzzz...these guys are really getting desperate!

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

With all the brain dead JW parents in the USA it surprises me that they still can't talk most of their kids into getting baptized.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit