Are the Governing Body broadcasts promoted at Kingdom Hall meetings?

by nicolaou 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

A question for those still attending I guess but are all these new jw.telemuppet.org broadcasts advertised to the the rank and file or is it more of a background thing?

I'm wondering because I just can't believe my 70 year old die-hard JW Mum would ever see them if she wasn't sat down in front of a screen and someone clicked 'play' for her.

I really want her to see the wizards behind the curtain. I think in Britain (and I suppose the rest of the world) the Governing Buddies are embarrassingly similar to all those American TV Evangelists we mocked for years.

It's getting fun this isn't it?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Yes... The broadcasts are strongly pushed (U K at least) .. Most K H's will arrange for oldies and those without net access to see them either at The Hall or someone else's home.

• Virran
    Virran
    My JW mom (in Europe) just saw her very first broadcasting (David Splanes generation word play trickery) in a special Kingdom Hall meeting. So they translated it into her language, I guess they just started doing that. Before that she had just heard about the "wonderful" JW broadcasting. And she thought it was good and from God, of course.
  • jonza
    jonza
    My partners hardcore JW mom said this "so now we're turning into all the other TV evangelists out there!", and her brother on a different isolated occasion said "so that's where all the moneys going"
  • John Aquila
    John Aquila
    In my area, they got rid of the kingdom hall broadcasting. No one was showing up except a few elderly sisters. From what I have heard, very few watch them at home.
  • sir82
    sir82

In the US, it is not actively promoted from the platform, but most congregations have a once a month KH viewing for the oldsters who do not have an internet connection in their homes.

In practical terms, it is basically yet another way to distinguish between the "spiritually mature" and the "spiritually weak". If you bring up "this month's broadcast" with a group of JWs, or contribute to such a conversation, you will be perceived as "spiritually strong". If you just sit there and can't contribute anything because you haven't seen it, you'll get a raised eyebrow, or a small shake of a head at you, and you'll be labeled "spiritually weak".

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

Ah sir82, so it's like keeping up with reading the convention releases, and reading new watchtower and awake mags.

I used to be embarrassed whenever a sister was gushing about some experience she read in an issue and she would ask me 'wasn't it wonderful???' And I would be like 'I haven't read it.'

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Thanks, I understand better now. Hmmm, maybe I'll invite the folks over for dinner

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

It depends on where you live. In my area, which is near the epicenter of the new "Most Holy" in NY, the bethelites mention points from the broadcast every chance that they get. In service, during their meeting parts, casual conversation. It is being pushed and if you cant add to the conversation and say how great it is then you will be left outside to rot.

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

Are the Governing Body broadcasts promoted at Kingdom Hall meetings?

You better believe it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit