proof that God exist

by comforter 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Francois
    Francois

Hello Golden Girl, Others.

I'm putting forward my belief, conviction actually, that the existence of God cannot be proved; not with logic, not with reason, nor with any other function of the material mind.

God is all spirit. The human mind is virtually all material. And while the mind is not the spirit, it is the gateway to it.

If God could be proven using the logic of the material mind, He would certainly cease to be the existential Being that he is. We can barely prove the existence of The Master. And to many people we can't prove Him either.

In the end it's all a matter of faith, right? You either believe in God (and Jesus) or you don't. And either way it doesn't matter. You still receive what you've got coming (oh no!) either way. Just because someone may not believe in gravity doesn't mean he won't fall on his ass if he's not careful." Ya know?

• WantTheTruth
    WantTheTruth

Well put Francois! We just need a little faith; when you find out how to obatin it.... I would be VERY interested!

Regards

WTT

P.S. - I dont think the Troll will be back in this thread again!

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Shhhhh.....be vewwy vewwy quiet!

(Comforter should take this advice from his role model)

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I thought about it a bit after I posted the above comment, and decided that it would be good practice for my courses in Logic and Philosophy if I were to dissect comforter's syllogism a bit. Let's review his original argument:

Major Premise: Either God exists or [comforter is] Elmer Fudd.
    Minor Premise: [comforter is] not Elmer Fudd.
    Conclusion: Therefore, God exists.

As it stands, comforter's syllogism is valid, in that, if the premises are true, the truth of the conclusion is guaranteed. However, the syllogism is not sound, because each of the premises is flawed.

The Major Premise commits the fallacy of bifurcation or false dichotomy, which consists of "considering a distinction or classification exclusive and exhaustive when other alternatives exist." (Engel, S. Morris. With Good Reason, 6th ed. p. 144) A classic example of such a fallacy is "You're either for me or against me!" - obviously, other options exist. We can imagine a universe in which God does not exist, but at the same time, comforter is not Elmer Fudd. Since we cannot guarantee the truth of this premise, the syllogism fails the test of soundness.

The Minor Premise also fails, but on different grounds. comforter asserts that he is not Elmer Fudd. I question whether comforter is intelligent and self-aware enough to know with certainty that he is not Elmer Fudd. Therefore, the premise fails under the fallacy of appeal to dubious authority. This is defined as "The appeal to an expert who is not in fact an expert in the area of concern" (Moody Bible Institute Online Studies, Introduction to Philosophy TH0250, Lesson 2 Supplement, Argumentation in Philosophy, p. 7). Again, because the premise fails, the syllogism also fails as to soundness.

By the way, I did the above just for fun, but also because idiotic arguments of the sort that comforter advanced make those of us who believe that there are intelligent reasons to believe in God look bad.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

God is love.

Love is blind.

Ray Charles is blind.

Therefore, Ray Charles is God.

• jgnat
    jgnat

This thread is starting to be fun! Talk about making a silk purse out of a sow's ear....

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    God is love.

Love is blind.

Ray Charles is blind.

Therefore, Ray Charles is God

Yeah, well, what about Stevie Wonder? How does he fit into that theology?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Stevie Wonder is younger than Ray Charles..Stevie must be Jesus..If Ray is god and Stevie is Jesus,who`s Satan?..LOL!...OUTLAW

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    If Ray is god and Stevie is Jesus,who`s Satan?

That would have to be Robert Johnson, right?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Robert Johnson??..Who the hell is Robert Johnson?? LOL!!! Your not taking this seriously! We need another blind guy to be Satan..Wait I think I found him..,LOL!...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit