Mother nature out of control

by JH 18 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

Have you ever experienced an earthquake, a tornado, a hurricane, or some force from nature out of the ordinary?

• TR
    TR

The weirdest thing I've experienced is an ice storm. We lost power for a week. It was weird, tree limbs and branches breaking with loud snaps constantly. Hearing electrical trasformers and power lines buzz and pop.

TR

• JH
    JH

I remember in 1988 (Nov. 25th), there was an earthquake in the St-Lawrence valley(Quebec) and it measured 6 on the richter scale. It lasted about 45 seconds. I was surprised that there was no damage.

Often in third world countries, we here of earthquakes of only 5, and there are hundreds of deaths.

I also experienced an ice storm in 1997and 1998. We had no current for 1 day only. But in the winter at 20 F, it gets cold fast.

• JH
    JH

Can anyone tell me if my profile picture in the corner looks like this below. I ask this because I see a JH as my profile picture, and some seem to see the one I had before. Weird. So I'm waiting for someone to tell me if my profile picture corresponds to this below. Thanks.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Yes JH, they're the same. Anyone who's seeing the old version probably has it cached on their own computer.

• JH
    JH

Thanks alot funkyderek.

• imanaliento
    imanaliento

just a blizzard in North Dakota it was around 4 p.m.

I wanted to get home insted of staying at someones house, we traveled through the whiteout heading south (5 miles) with the north wind pushing us, keep in mind, N Dakota is open and flat. we could see the road that was a foot in front of the car. we then had to turn left on to our 1/2 mile gravel driveway with the wind blowing straight north,the only way we stayed on was by me looking out the passenger side window that had to be open for me to see if we were still on the gravel or not.

sad to say a teacher and some students died in his car that year, the thing was he was a survival instructor.

I think my hubby was a little PO'd at me when we got home. but"we got home dear"

• jgnat
    jgnat

The closest I got was the Edmonton Tornado in 1987. It was a scary evening. I took me hours to get to my sitters and my children, and I was frantic. Streets were flooded, traffic lights knocked out, and torrential rain blanketed the city. I heard about the tornado on someone's portable radio. The announcer told us a second twister was on it's way. My house was not near the devastation. All we lost were a few shingles. The phone system was overwhelmed. It took two days for my relatives to get through - to my sister in Red Deer.

http://datalib.library.ualberta.ca/tornado/

• JeffT
    JeffT

We were about two hundred miles east of Mount St. Helens in it blew in May of 1980. The sky turned absolutely black then ash started falling. It was very spooky as nobody knew how dangerous it was. The stuff was blowing around for weeks afterwards.

We had an 7.1 or so Earthquake here in Seattle a while back. That was really frightening. Longest 50 seconds of my life.

• heathen
    heathen

Here in texas it's not uncommon to get tornados . The tornado that tore apart downtown ft. worth a couple of years ago touched down only about 2 miles from my house . There were several tornados that were too close for comfort . So far nothing that destroyed any of our property but could happen at anytime . We also live by an airport ,I think at this point we should start looking at plane crashes and car wrecks as natural disasters . So far nothing to report on that .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit