WTS TRIVIA: What was Watchtower's 1st reference to a "Jehovah's Witness"?

by Gamaliel 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

Someone asked Simon recently if the name Jehovah's Witness was copyrighted (referring to part of this forum's name) and it reminded me of a note I had taken while reading old publications at Bethel about a quarter-century ago. Here's the trivia question.

What (or when, or where) was the Society's first specific reference in print to a "Jehovah's Witness?"

For extra credit, answer any one of the following: Which President of the Society made the reference? What was the name of this Jehovah's Witness? What verse in Isaiah was especially significant in helping to identify this Witness?

• greven
    greven

What (or when, or where) was the Society's first specific reference in print to a "Jehovah's Witness?"

For extra credit, answer any one of the following: Which President of the Society made the reference? What was the name of this Jehovah's Witness? What verse in Isaiah was especially significant in helping to identify this Witness?

You have 5 seconds!

'Ehrrrrmmmm' **tick tock tick tock tick tock** 'Euuuuhhhh' **ZOEMMMM** 'you have to tell me now!'

'I don't know!'

'What do you know really?'

'Well...'

'Nevermind! YOU are the weakest link, Goodbye!'

Greven.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

Hmm, could be Russell referring to The Pyramid of Gizeh as "Jehovah's Witness".

The text is Isaiah 19:19.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I don't recall seeing when someone asked Simon about a "copyright" on the name "Jehovah's Witnesses," but I believe that IF such a copyright existed in 1931 it was expired in the year 1959.

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

GermanJW,

Hmm, could be Russell referring to The Pyramid of Gizeh as "Jehovah's Witness".

The text is Isaiah 19:19.

Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding Ausgezeichnet!! You have won. (But all I can give you is a "Consolation" prize.)

I thought it was interesting that Russell had used the exact expression in 1890, 40 years before Rutherford changed the name of the religion based on "Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD." In fact, Russell, if I recall correctly, even capitalized the word Witness in Jehovah's "Witness" whereas Rutherford kept it lower case: "Jehovah's witnesses." Thanks for playing, Gamaliel

• minimus
    minimus

What's more interesting is the demonic connection.

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

Watchtower 9/15/1914

THE BLESSING OF THE "CUP OF SALVATION"

"YE ARE MY WITNESSES, SAITH JEHOVAH"

The concluding statement of the Psalmist as given in our text is that he would pay his vows "in the presence of all His [God's] people." It is not enough that we shall be loyal in our hearts; but the Lord desires a public confession, a witness before men. "With the heart man believeth unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation." (Romans 10:10.) And all the witnesses for the Truth must be martyrs for the Truth. They must, in other words, be willing to suffer for it. And so it will be to a large extent with those who are faithfully, courageously, holding up the banner of Truth. They will be targets for the Adversary.

Our Master said that whoever would not confess Him before men, He would not confess before the Father and before the holy angels. Only those who are thoroughly loyal are to be of this very select company of which our Lord is the Head, and which is soon now to be gathered into the Heavenly Garner.

Then let us appreciate more and more this "cup of blessing" which we are privileged to drink with our blessed Master; and let us "call upon the name of the Lord" for grace to help in every time of need. We need Him daily, hourly, momentarily. And we may come to the Throne of Grace at any time in the name of our great Advocate.

Our Father's ear is ever open to the cry of His children. They are as dear to Him "as the apple of His eye." They "are graven upon the palms of His hands." "As one whom his mother comforteth, so will I comfort you," is His promise to His own. All that we can render will be at best very, very little in return for all His bounties, for all His matchless grace toward us. But the measure of love and zeal that accompanies our little all will indicate the measure of our gratitude to our Heavenly Father and our great Redeemer.

This is the first time that Russell ever applies the term "Jehovah's Witnesses" to the Bible Students in print.

Coon

(some tool on a JW site was posting this as a bragging item.)

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

CoonDawg,

Sorry to change the subject, but I understand from your post about the Goffs that you were in St James, Mo. My father and a couple other elders moved out of Rolla to start up a congregation there back in the 70's. My first public talk (outside of a few NYC congregations) was in St James.

If this is too much personal detail for a public forum, we can exchange email addresses.

Gamaliel

• heathen
    heathen

Although they took up the name Jehovahs witnesses they also take credit for witnessing about the messianic rule of Jesus Christ . Do I get extra credit for that ?

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

gamaliel...I'd be happy to hear from you. I'm sure you know many of my family members. You can email me at [email protected]

Coon

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit