Any Old-Timers Remember this Kingdom Melody?

by Sea Breeze 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

We used to sing a slow song in the late 60's and early 70's that went something like : "Don't be afraid of them that can kill the body buy cannot kill the soul" .... or something like that.

Does anyone remember that one?

• waton
    waton

yeah, there was in there something about "my people." I really never was worried about my soul, but really wanted to keep my body in one piece and in peace.

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

I believe the song was called: "Fear Them Not"?

• IWant2Leave
    IWant2Leave

"Fear not those who kill the body, but cannot destroy the soul, faithful to the end continue, i will help you reach your goal." I don't remember the name of it though.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Found it!

At :30 - "Fear not those who kill the body, but cannot destroy the soul"

It is a beautiful melody. Should make a Heretics Greatest Hits album for sure.

Why did the WT make us sing a song about how the soul cannot be destroyed while at the same time teaching us that the soul is annihilated at death? Is this why JW's no longer sing this song? Or, do they still sing it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uWroh-WQlQ&ab_channel=Davey7373

• S0ShowdidIgethere
    S0ShowdidIgethere
    They still sing it
  • Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

I remember asking my parents about this contradiction when I was maybe 7 or 8 years old. I remember getting a very vague irritable answer.

Kids say the darndest things!

Funny how memories just pop in your head from decades earlier about things that didn't add up.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    They still sing it

Really? I would have thought this would have gotten the ax for being too much like Babylon the Great.

Interesting.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

It is #55 now, but the words have been tamed down a bit.

• S0ShowdidIgethere
    S0ShowdidIgethere
    Oh yeah it's still sung...theres a comment I remember a sister making about that line recently even...The thinking is "soul" (lifeforce) since it will be resurrected - your life force being in Jehovah's memory it's only him that can OFFICIALLY destroy it...not man. I think. lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit