Have you ever heard of a 'self-licking ice cream cone'?

by jwleaks 7 Replies latest jw friends

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

From an article appearing in this week's edition of The Last Days newsletter:

licking at an ice cream cone during our spiritual feasts - The Watchtower magazine, June 1, 1953

Have you ever heard of ‘a self-licking ice cream cone’?

A self-licking ice cream cone is a self-perpetuating system that has no purpose other than to sustain itself.

In a paper published by the United States Air Force Academy (USAFA), a self-licking ice cream cone is described as “something that exists only for its own enjoyment and no one else’s.”

The website A Way with Words describes a self-licking ice cream cone as “a process, department, institution, or other thing that offers few benefits and exists primarily to justify or perpetuate its own existence.”

The Urban Dictionary further adds that a self-licking ice cream cone is “an organization or entity whose sole purpose is promoting its own existence and splendor.”

Sort of reminds one of the Watch Tower Society, who thoughtfully reminded us of their primary purpose of existence, when they embedded themselves into Lesson 19: Be Generous.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Never heard of this. However, with the mentally retarded way the Corporation(tm) and our filthy Politicians work, anything is possible.

• Queequeg
    Queequeg

Dogs are self-licking, lucky bastards!

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

"Dogs are self-licking, lucky bastards! ""

Cats are too. Luckiest beings on earth. I'm sure it's good too.

Jealousy is ''rotten to the bones"

• Queequeg
    Queequeg

Beth Sarim

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Have you ever heard of a 'self-fellating governing body'?

• Queequeg
    Queequeg

No, they're too fat.

• SydBarrett
    SydBarrett
    • How many will be munching a sandwich, sipping soda water or licking at an ice-cream cone during our spiritual feasts?w53 7/1 pp. 397-399 - The Watchtower—1953

Wow. Those were the days of week long assemblies from 9am - 9pm outdoors in the summertime. God forbid someone have something cold to drink or an ice cream.

My dad once told me about the misery of being 9 years old and sitting in the blazing heat at Yankee stadium all day and half the evening for a week. By the time you made it out of the stadium, onto the subway and to wherever you were rooming, it was extremely late. Then wake up early and do it all again. I don't see how they didn't have a revolt on their hands.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit