God in the video games shop...

by WantTheTruth 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• WantTheTruth
    WantTheTruth

Hi,

I have been considering religion and God recently... and to some extent the JWs religion.

I was in a video games shop the other day, looking for a few good games for my Xbox console...

I found myself thinking "would God look favourably upon me if I brought this game".... the game in question was 'Mortal Kombat' (one of the more violent games). This is one of the main reasons I did not purchase it.

I think I have succumb to JW logic.... is this the right way to be thinking?

Ahhhh....

WTT

• SYN
    SYN

Dude, if you have a problem with violence, what are you doing in a video game shop in the first place?

Here's an interesting fact: If you could see at the same resolution as the game "Quake 1" draws it's objects, you would be classified legally blind.

There are larger issues than this...

• Swan
    Swan

Personally, I stay away from the more violent games, but that's just because first person shooters just don't interest me all that much. That's just a personal preference rather than a residual JW mentality. Even my favorites, The Sims, SimCity, and Rollercoaster Tycoon have some degree of violence. I have also been playing Zeus and Freedom Force, which are somewhat violent to me, but relatively tame in the eyes of most gamers.

If you want to try those FPS games, try them. You will find out soon enough if you like them or not. Don't judge them by JW standards, however, judge them by your own standards. If they aren't your cup of tea, don't play them. I personally don't have that much fun with them, but I never judge anyone who does like them. I hate that judgmental attitude that some people have that if you play Grand Theft Auto, Postal, or Ghost Recon you will end up a menace to society. That holier-than-though attitude reminds me too much of the JWs.

Tammy

• rem
    rem

Of course god would approve! Well, maybe not just any god, but surely the Bible god would bless you for purchasing such a violent video game. His only regret is that the violence doesn't depict the bashing of infants heads against rocks, genocide, and the raping of many virgins. No, our mortal videogames are quite tame when compared to the bible god's bloodthirst.

rem

• Xander
    Xander

Kinda OT, but....

So, errr, SYN....have any thoughts on the Doom3? Or, have you even seen it in person yet?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey WTT,god wants you to buy Mortal Combat,and sacrifice virgin chickens to ancient voo-doo gods in the backyard..LOL!...OUTLAW

• kwijibo
    kwijibo

I feel the same way when confronted with demonic themes or images in games and movies. I don't really worry about whether god would approve but it just turns me off. A legacy of jw upbringing for sure.

Kwiji.

• WantTheTruth
    WantTheTruth

Someone who can relate to me... I'm not as strange as I thought..... Thanks.

I am not saying that such thoughts take over my life, but it did occur to me.

WTT

• crinklestein
    crinklestein

I can't wait for Doom 3 to come out. When I was in the congregation I would hear them talking about how evil and disgusting Doom was. I was like, "Have you even SEEN Doom? Even though, back then, that was state of the art, I told them that it was pathetic. I loved playing it but come on...It was so bitmappy that you couldn't make out any gory details.

I never listened to what they said about R rated movies, internet, violent video games and whatnot. I was like, I highly doubt God would be so pety to not grant someone entrance into his kingdom just because he listens to Metalica and plays Doom.

• SYN
    SYN

Xander: Yeah, I've played the bootleg version on a totally narked-out box, and it's very, very pretty. What you see in Doom3 would not make you legally blind, although it will probably make the original Doom look like a fun game that would be approved by the Pope himself. The amount of "evil" that will be present in D3, along with the use of near-photo-realistic register combiners, is going to make certain people cream their pants and cry "SATAN!", that's for sure.

I can't wait!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit