Sam Harris & Jordan Peterson

by azor 29 Replies latest jw friends

• bohm
    bohm

seaname: Well, I think that is exactly the relevant text.

That section does not (if you read it) introduce any new crimes. I.e. it does not make anything that was previously legal illegal. What it deals with is sentencing.

So if I am raping you, that would normally mean I would go to jail for rape. If it turns out I am raping you because you are disabled (or gay, or Hindu, etc. etc.), then 718.2(a)(i) allows the court to determine that I am performing a hate crime and that could affect the sentencing.

What the change means is that if I am raping you and that I am raping you because you are identifying yourself as a Zir, that rape could now also be considered a hate crime. Of course that would have to be proven and it is not entirely clear to me that pronoun misuse is even included in the text (it might be).

I am not sure I like the concept of hate crimes particular well but that is a separate discussion: I think if there are hate crime laws then it is very reasonable (at least, not dangerous) to extend them to the hypothetical situation where someone is targeting people who call themselves "they".

• Simon
    Simon

The 718 section is about sentencing, where it becomes an added factor. It is not the entirety of the issue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Act_to_amend_the_Canadian_Human_Rights_Act_and_the_Criminal_Code

• bohm
    bohm

Simon: I still don't understand exactly what aspect of "gender misuse" JP and others are objecting to.

I think it is relevant to have a debate about hate crimes (i.e. if there should be hate crimes in the penal code), but quite frankly that only affects JP if he goes on and murder someone on campus, etc.

Could you explain in your own words what new "gender misuse" crime you are worried about?

Whenever I try to dig into that issue (and JP made it very clear that gender misuse was a very serious concern to him in his first video) the discussion is diverted into generalities...

Another way to ask this question is if this writeup of C16 is wrong:

http://sds.utoronto.ca/blog/bill-c-16-no-its-not-about-criminalizing-pronoun-misuse/

• cofty
    cofty

The debate about truth is well illustrated around 55mins. Frustrating!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I just wonder why... Sam Harris has to... make a pause after every... four words or so... without apparent regard... for sense or normal... speech patterns.

Peterson amazingly talks some sense here. At least some in this crazy thinkosphere realise that Rorty was a giant of a thinker.

• cofty
    cofty

Sadly Peterson indulges in incoherent gibberish in this and other recent interviews.

I think he is unwell.

• never a jw
    never a jw
    2 hours ago

SBF I just wonder why... Sam Harris has to... make a pause after every... four words or so... without apparent regard... for sense or normal... speech patterns.

It's for the benefit of his audience so we can fully process his great ideas. Nothing to hide after all.

Peterson is intentionally a faster speaker so he impedes clarity and hides his incoherence

• azor
    azor

I think Peterson might be on to something with evolutionary archetypal mythology as an undercurrent of human development. I was hoping that was what Harris and him would cover.

It appears to me as part of his study into the evil in human nature that he has become a man that sees malice where it doesn't exist. He truly fears the naturalistic/materialistic worldview, and seems to see demons around every corner. Heavily influenced by Nietzsche, Solzhenitsyn, and Hume.

Hopefully they will have another podcast and get into a discussion that moves beyond the definition of truth.

• never a jw
    never a jw

Hopefully they will have another podcast

What's the use. They may live in two different dimensions

• azor
    azor

Then don't listen when they do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit