I Was Treated Nice, by a JW

by LB 9 Replies latest jw friends

• LB
    LB

We went to a movie this evening and while standing in line I look over to the line about 50 feet away and see a pretty woman waving at me. I have no idea who this is. She looked familiar but I was clueless. So she yells hi Al and I get out of my line to walk over. Then I recognize her. She's a young married JW I know. Nice lady. Anyway she knows I'm DAed yet wanted to chat. What was fun is her sister, husband, brother in law and kids are all waiting for her to make the purchase. Her MS husband doesn't look very happy to see me chatting with her. She looks over, smiles at him and continues to chat, ask me how I'm doing.

Anyway it's funny how things go. I'm actually getting more attention from JW's now that I'm DAed than when I was just an inactive fader. Now this young lady never did shun me, she is very nice. Good to see that there are a few thinking caring JW's running around that don't have pure fear running through their veins.

• Buster
    Buster

See, now this stuff confuses me. How can I be expected to have a 'tude toward all JWs with this kind of thread? Next thing you know, we'll be maintaing a balanced attitude and seeing the still-actives as individuals. That doesn't sound like much fun at all.

• LB
    LB

Yep, always tough when you meet a nice active JW. But I have to admit that I liked the vast majority of witnesses I knew. I just feel a bit sorry for them these days. Trapped and no way out.

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

*shrugs*

The other day I took my little brother to the movies and the group of people I used to hang out with when I was active sat right next to us. Out of the 6 people that were there, only 2 would even say more than hello to me.

They were not so nice. On the other hand, I got to talk to an MS from the Spanish hall that I used to go to and he invited me in his home and we had a pretty good time. I even got him thinking about the whole 144,000 bit.

I guess it just depends on the person.

Eric

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

This must have been about 10 years ago. Don't ask me why I remember, but just reading these threads, it came back to me.

When I lived in Atlantic Canada, I remember a particular brother & sister. They were actually really decent, kind of 'hip' if it's humanly possible while being a JW. The brother had been disfellowshipped before, was reinstated, and every once in awhile, I'd get to talk to him. He was a really great person. (1981/82/83)

I move to Toronto years later and working late one evening, I board an all-night bus here in the city, only to stare face to face at the bus driver who happened to be that 'brother' I was talking to you about who used to live in Atlantic Canada.

I saw him more than a few times, but being that I was fresh out of the organization, I was quiet, paid my fare, didn't utter a word. What a shame. But there was no way of knowing then. I figured EVERYONE who was a JW knew I was either DF'd/DA'd or inactive. So being the good 'ex-JW' I was, I didn't want to make this brother uncomfortable or me having to face rejection.

Years later I saw him driving the Rapid Transit train in the eastend of Toronto. That was a few years after seeing him drive the bus. I haven't seen him since.

I cannot say I've run into anyone as of late. I look so different now I'm sure, no one would recognize me. I just rethink my visit back to Atlantic Canada this past summer, and I figured that I could walk smack dab into a JW there, and they wouldn't even recognize me.

Oh well. Interesting reading these messages. I actually get a kick out of this stuff.

As years go by, and I realize the conditional terms of association or even acknowledgement (generally speaking) - if some of the people I once knew are still JWs today, friendship as I know it today, would be NON-EXISTANT.

But I one day hope I'll run into someone from 'way back' who is no longer part of the Borg.

Thanks for sharing, I love these threads.

• shera
    shera

For the most,many JW's donot bother with me..the way I want it,but my daughter's family is made up of many JW"s,they still talk to me but its not the same as it used to be.I think they do it just for my daughter,they know it would hurt her if they shunned me.

• Inquiry
    Inquiry

Hi LB...

Since I left the witnesses, there have been a brave few who continue to greet me and associate, albeit quietly. It's very difficult for them because it's a small town area and witnesses know every other witness... so meeting in the area is problematic. The elders here are in everyone's business and run a very tight ship... they are quite self centred and power hungry egomaniacs for the most part. I remember back to one old sister who saw me at Harvey's and she was with another sister, this sister came right up to me, just after the "announcement" and gave me a huge hug and said, "I don't care what they say, I will see who I want to see, when I want to see them." She almost made me cry. The other sister looked very disapprovingly at her, and she said, I dare them to try to tell me what to do. I still see her occasionally and she's still that friendly.

Some have though, because of the new emphasis on hard-lined shunning have become a bit scarce.. I understand it but it is a bummer at times... I hope that someday these friends will feel free from fear and be able to act on their own feelings rather than tow the cold and domineering WT line.

I kind of snicker when someone shuns me, cause I think of that older sister and how feisty she is compared to these arrogant young bucks who cower and shudder at the elders... lol wimps...woosies.... pansy arses... lol

okay... had my walk down memory lane...

have a great day

Inq

• freedom96
    freedom96

I do believe that there a few witnesses that have common sense, and they realize that the whole DFing and DAing stuff is crap.

I know a very few witness, that though active, will associate even if on a limited basis with friends that have left the organization. Don't talk about it, don't announce it, but they will do it.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

"She is very nice, because she talked to me" - this must sound pretty strange to an outsider.

And she talked to you out of concern for you - or for her own sake to appear normal, or even a bit defiant, daring and autonomous or something - a show of her own liberty perhaps, or dignity.

So was it that, in her heart, you were her concern - can you say that?

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

I know it's cynical, but was she pretty as well ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit