Does it matter how long ago a serious sin happened?

by roybatty 19 Replies latest jw friends

• roybatty
    roybatty

My ex and I had an interesting conversation this evening on the phone. We ended up talking about Dfíng and Da'ing and I made some comment about her "turning me into the elders for joining the Y" and then I stated something to effect that "she's lucky I never said anything to the elders about her and I and what we did before getting married." (Basement, alone, dark, - use your imagination). Anyway, she kind of blows it off because it happened so long ago....blah blah.

I was just wondering if anyone had any WT ref. about serious sin and there being no time limit. I was also wondering if anyone else (while a JW) got busted for something they did years before.

Thanks,

Mike aka roybatty

• Wolfy
    Wolfy

Hello Mike:)

I was reproved a few years back for something I had done(7) years earlier. I made the mistake in confiding in someone that I thought was a friend. Well..Instead of calling me he turned me in. I ended up in a JC with 5 Elders.

I do understand that it all depends on your status in the Org. If you are not active and don't identify yourself as a Witness they may not go after you. If you decide to go back they may question you about it. That's what I have been told by an Elder when I asked him. May not be the same in all areas though.

Regards

Wolfy

• roybatty
    roybatty

Yeah, that's what I thought Wolfy. I have to admit that a part of me would be curious to see how her elders would react if I just happened to let them know a few of her secrets. Sometimes that self-righteous attitude really grinds on me. The "oh, what do you know, you're an apostate." Grrrr..

• minimus
    minimus

Roybatty, all you have to do is sound sincere, tell the elders that your conscience has bothered you and that OTHERS know about what you and your ex did. Once they think that OTHERS may know about it, they are obliged to handle the matter. So start spreading the news.....

• roybatty
    roybatty

tell the elders that your conscience has bothered you and that OTHERS know about what you and your ex did. I thought about it Min. I'm just not sure I want to sit on the phone and tell this guy what her and I did. Decisions decisions.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

This is something I remember hearing in a talk then later from an Elder I respected, it lead me to confess a sin I had been covering up.

Prov. 28:13 "He that is covering over his transgressions will not succeed, but he that is confessing and leaving [them] will be shown mercy."

Luke 8:17 "For there is nothing hidden that will not become manifest, neither anything carefully concealed that will never become known and never come into the open.

Luke 12:2 "But there is nothing carefully concealed that will not be revealed and secret that will not become known."

The reason I was so bothered by my past sin was that it seemed no matter how much I prayed, no matter how much I went out in service, to meetings, studied ie; acted in harmony with my prayers my family was still sufferning and in a week spiritual state. I was doing my very best and when I heard this scripture from a talk one Sunday morning a light bulb went off and I felt compeled to confess my sins thinking I was the one holding back Jah's spirit from our family.

Nothing really changed, I just felt better. Later I found out (way later) my husband had MANY sins of serious concern he was covering up.......hummm maybe I wasn't the weakest link after all.

So maybe you could go to the Elders and talk to them or just reason with you wife with the scriptures I mentioned? Eh, it worked for me, played on my guilty conscience enough maybe it will work for her and she'll do her own confessing.

Best of luck however it turns out.

Katie

• roybatty
    roybatty

So maybe you could go to the Elders and talk to them or just reason with you wife with the scriptures I mentioned? Eh, it worked for me, played on my guilty conscience enough maybe it will work for her and she'll do her own confessing.

Hey Biker,

Well, she's not my wife anymore and I'd probably feel like a jerk turning her into the elders. Like I said, a part of me would like to see her taken down a couple of notches but moreso I'm wondering how her being df'd might benefit my kids. It would be impossible for her to take them out in service and ackward taking them to the meetings. Then again, this all could back fire and just cause more harm.

• zev
    zev

roy, imho, dub life is tough enough. i'd leave well enough alone. who knows, maybe someday she'll see the "light" of what she's involved in and make her own way out.

• roybatty
    roybatty

Yeah, I think you're right Zev.

• Swan
    Swan

Mike,

Joining the Y is a serious offense! You should have joined the UN instead. That would be okay.

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit