Christopher Hitchens Vs Armageddon

by The Marvster 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• The Marvster
    The Marvster

I've just spent a big part of today watching interviews, debates etc with Richard Dawkins. When I was a JW I used to hate this man with all my energy, I looked on him as the devil's offspring, he represented an idea that totally terrified me.

today I found myself saying I love the man. Anyway a Richard Dawkins video was linked to Christopher Hitchens videos and I found this one particularly interesting. He was basically talking about how he detests the whole attitude in certain religions, i.e., that longing for god's great day to come when billions will be destroyed while the faithful stand by gleefully watching, awaiting their salvation to eternal bliss, while 99.99% of mankind experience gruesome divine execution.

This is a subject often mentioned on this forum so thought I'd post this vid (of course it might be 'very' old news already seen by many, if so, sorry)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2LehsA1dk

• The Marvster
    The Marvster

By the way,

something that has been 'bothering' me lately is the question; 'am I technically an APOSTATE' now I'm sharing these ideas with people on this forum?

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt
    ...'am I technically an APOSTATE' now I'm sharing these ideas with people on this forum?

Yep you're done for.

I used to hate Carl Sagan and Dawkins.

But now I love them both. Carl Sagan in a sexual way (just kidding), no like a gentle and kind friend, and Dawkins like a cantankerous uncle.

I respect and admire Hitchens very much. An exceptional and funny orator/writer but he also could become very personal when he was confronted with some questioning or facts he did not care for.

I would have liked to have had a fist fight with him when he was still alive and healthy.

Sadly not to be so I declare myself the victor by default... ah hahahaha... take that Hitchens.

• The Marvster
    The Marvster

Shoot, I'm done for.. damn it... lol... I was hoping there was still some sheep in me (erm, not the other way around of course)

But now I love them both. Carl Sagan in a sexual way (just kidding)

Lol, I forgot to mention that my 'love' for Dawkins is 'as a friend'... today was the final straw when I found out that while he was a young researcher, the mathematics was slowing him down so he started to use the then 'only computer' at Oxford University... he then taught himself programming language using zero's and 1's so he could make the computer do his calculations, and then ended up 'teaching' his fellow scientists the programming language.... my respect for him suddenly went through the roof... this guy is the man's man for sure...

yeah Hitchens definitely seems arrogant at times and definitely polemic... I recon you would have won the fist fight, he was pretty out of shape in a couple of the vids i watched... LOl

• clarity
    clarity

When I finally 'found' Hitchens I was blown away by his mind. Nothing much stopped him. Loved his arrogance and cried when he died.

Yes you have stepped over the line Marv......but in a good way!

clarity

• The Marvster
    The Marvster

Clarity..

yep, I've only seen little bits, and found his thinking 'devastating' when he analyses bible logic etc... but OMG, glad I didn't ever meet someone like that when I used to do JW recruiting... My faith would have probably ended that very day...

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt
    ...at Oxford University... he then taught himself programming language using zero's and 1's so he could make the computer do his calculations, and then ended up 'teaching' his fellow scientists the programming language.... my respect for him suddenly went through the roof... this guy is the man's man for sure...

Check out the documentary on YouTube called: Nice Guys Finish First BBC (Richard Dawkins) 1986.

There you'll see how he used evolutionary algorithms to produce a fascinating variation in body shapes. He was a pretty good researcher (kid playing with cool stuff) back in the day.

• The Marvster
    The Marvster

thanks Saintbertholdt...

will check it out, there were a few clips from it on the interview I watched... I think I'll end up watching these guys for most of the rest of my Saturday evening.

• cofty
    cofty

Hitch had a formidable mind.

Like all really intelligent people he wasn't afraid to change his opinions about things.

• Splash
    Splash
    A bit like the WT do you mean?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit