Death is not something to be feared!

by iconoclastic 79 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• iconoclastic
    iconoclastic

Science can explain HOW of things, but it cannot explain WHY of certain things (For example, why did life arise from non-life and evolved from simpler creatures to more complex life forms only to die and disappear?) So are the conflicted religions whose chief concern is in safeguarding each one’s separate identity.

Next option is to look for pearls among the stones—using power of our own reason. Leave behind even our own old style of looking at death as the opposite of life. Let us start on a clean slate: Though Jesus himself foretold truth will be overpowered by interpolators (Mathew 13:24-30), fortunately his perception of death remains intact: “Unless a seed falls into earth and dies, it cannot produce any grains.” His taking the unmistakable principle behind the eternal seed-tree mechanism makes all the difference—physical apparatus of the seed dies but life continues (which he further reiterated, with absolute clarity, through the famous parable of Lazarus and Rich man). Thus for Jesus, death was an expression of life, the most critical defining feature of life. When you die, you are making the ultimate undeniable assertion that you have been alive. In fact, death is even a precondition to life. You yourself are the proof. When you were in your mother’s womb, you thought it was your only world what you thought as the most comfortable place for you to be in. At the time of delivery, when you were pushed out, you thought in that trauma that you were experiencing a form of death, only to realize later that your life was continuing in a totally different world. This was the guarantee for some thinking people that death is not the end, but only an exit from the world to some other form of life—may be at yet another plane or dimension (which are irrelevant at this time, hence are best left as a surprise).

This type of reasoning will only help us (never harm us). For example William Shakespeare started his life as an ordinary person working for a drama troop, and his work was to raise the curtain and to pull it down at the appointed times. However, at some point of time, he began to think that he was more than his physical body and should tap the enormous power that sustains his mortal coil—and the rest is history. Look at one of his golden words: “What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty! In form and moving how express and admirable! In action how like an angel, in apprehension how like a god!” (Hamlet, Act 2, Scene 2, Page 13) He experienced firsthand another piece of truth hidden in the Bible: “Eternity” resides in each one’s physical body. (Ecclesiastes 3:11)

Kahlil Gibran alludes to the same when he wrote: “Your children are not your children … they come through you but not from you … You may give them your love but not your thoughts, for they have their own thoughts. You may house their bodies but not their souls, for their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.” List goes on and on: “Surely God would not have created such a being as man, with an ability to grasp the infinite, to exist only for a day! No, no, man was made for immortality.” (Abraham Lincoln) “I would love to believe that when I die …. some thinking, feeling, remembering part of me will continue.” (Carl Sagan) “In the end, nothing is lost. Every event, for good or evil, has effects forever.” (Will Durant).

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

stunning post, icon

• Half banana
    Half banana

That’s better Icon, you are at least more focussed. However your reasoning still does not flow from statement based on evidence to a logical end.

Indeed science does have limitations, doesn’t everything? But at least whatever is determined scientifically has to be on a more reliable footing than any religious superstition.

Let me illustrate: You quote Jesus and his quotation inserted into the Biblical text for the purpose of perpetuating and keeping air-born as it were, the hope of immortal life. Jesus could never literally have been quoted in saying this since it was written years after he was supposed to be alive and by someone who never heard him speak. (You cannot believe the Bible for evidence since it is a collection of fables re-worked for historical plausibility). The origin of this idea of the “seed” as an illustration of life continuing after death was part of the agricultural mythos in the religious beliefs of the earliest farmers back in the late New Stone Age. It resonated with all farming folk as their hope for something better than the “short and brutal life” to which they were born. The Goddess Ceres (as in cereal) represents this ancient belief.

You say with reference to the seed myth; “This kind of reasoning will only help us (never harm us)” I have to strongly disagree. Holding on to myths and folk-lore can harm people immensely, it ignores reality. It has no basis for human progress or logical thought. Conversely, “this kind of reasoning” has the makings of collective delusions which result in religious obligations which are then commandeered by temporal lobe defective authority figures to form crazy cults. It results in mental slavery.

Medicine can scientifically i.e. reliably and accurately, describe the process of death, it is emotionally devastating for the bereaved... but it is final, it is an incontrovertible truth. The quest for cheating death is perhaps the driving force for all religious straw-clutching, the very reason why religion exists; to soften the blow of the pain of death.

You are fooling yourself if you think you can overcome death. From among the 105 billion people who have lived so far, there is not one reliably recorded instance of overcoming it. Are you going to be the first?

• Viviane
    Viviane
    In science, "how" and "why" are the same question, "how". Your convoluted mess gets it wrong from the start.
  • The Rebel
    The Rebel

Iconoclastic: " Death is not something to be feared!

And when I concluded there was no God I pondered that question. My answer:-

Why should I be afraid of something that doesn't exist?

The Rebel.

• ListlessWitness
    ListlessWitness

Thanks Icon, I love the way you think. Similar to The Truth Contest, in fact some of your thoughts could fit really well with that material if there is a way to submit them?

Certain things cannot be subjected to the scrutiny of science for complete answers. Love and relationships and emotions for example. But that doesn't stop us speculatively attempting romance and seeing what happens. Why then is it so harmful to speculate about something we cannot know for sure? It is part of being alive, and when you try to stamp out speculation about things that cannot be proven, you are trying to stamp out a part of our very being. I know an Org which likes to do that, and we escaped from it in part to enjoy freedom of thought and expression.

Live and let live ffs, why are some people so bent on being 'right'?

If there are things in Icon's past posts which have jerked people's chains, let it go, it's in the past. Let a person grow and develop even if it is not on your terms or timescale. Why not hold back the urge to comment on something until you have seen what fresh pairs of eyes think of it?

Just my 2 cents. I am probably wrong, but always being right is something I am working hard to let go of so that more harmony can be created with my fellow man.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Why then is it so harmful to speculate about something we cannot know for sure? It is part of being alive, and when you try to stamp out speculation about things that cannot be proven, you are trying to stamp out a part of our very being. I know an Org which likes to do that, and we escaped from it in part to enjoy freedom of thought and expression.

No one said anything about ending speculation. I also know know ab org that likes to pretend to things it can't and doesn't. What's your point?

Live and let live ffs, why are some people so bent on being 'right'?

Prerending ignorance is knowledge is dangerous.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

BK cult drones using this new account..

http://www.brahmakumaris.info/

• Half banana
    Half banana

Religion is fantasy dressed up as real life, the emotionally needy and the gullible fall for it all the time.

• iconoclastic
    iconoclastic
    Half banana

This is an exercise in independence, and it can serve a purpose; because atheist and theist meet at one point—both nurtures a fear deep in their heart unuttered! At some point atheist fears what if there is something immaterial; theist too fears what if there is nothing immaterial! Hence the above mental exercise on fear, and reaching the conclusion that there is no need of fear—if you have sowed good, you will reap good; and if you have sowed bad, you will reap bad—and if you have mixed both, you will reap mixed results, and God plays no part in the Law of Cause and Consequence—Hence the above musing has nothing to do with any religion. (remember, I thrashed the religions in the very first paragraph of my OP)

Besides, when we choose an action (we know the results of action from experience—either from ours or of others), we are also choosing the results. Hence there is nothing religion or God can play in our destiny—we are the creators of our destiny. Problems arise when we choose to be mere reactors.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit