"I would rather have Questions that I can't answer, instead of Answers that I can't question"

by stuckinarut2 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

How very thought provoking this quote is, especially in the context of witness doctrine!

• stuckinarut2
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice

Yes it's good. One of those quotes where you take the first part, re-arrange the words to make it profound.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I used that quote in a discussion with a JW (conditional) friend of mine. He was questioning me about all kinds of things, basically asking "if this isn't true, what better thing do you have to offer me?" in a bunch of different ways. When I said "I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question." he stared at me completely stunned for a moment. It didn't take long for the indoctrination to kick in, but hopefully that sits with him and is remembered the next time he has a question about something in the cult that can't be asked.

It's a powerful and eloquent quote to be sure. So well said.

• Heaven
    Heaven

It's a keeper for sure!

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

One of my regular favorites!

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

"I would rather have Questions that I can't answer, instead of Answers that I can't question"

Take that quote and put it on every door of every kingdom hall and I guarantee that that would get most dubs to at least think. Even if it is just for a millisecond. That would have to generate something in most of them, right?

Right?

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    That would have to generate something in most of them, right?

Probably not, especially not the current generation of JWs (those under ~35 years old). Most of them don't have questions, they just sort of listen and accept everything in the KH and then they go off and live their lives not thinking about it. The only way this quote is going to make someone think is if they have experienced asking one of the many forbidden questions and being shut down with social pressure and receiving no answer. Without am emotional connection to the quote based on some experience (or some question that they're too afraid to ask) they won't give it another thought.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Maybe use it the next time a JW knocks on your door.
  • stillin
    stillin
    It's so true! Especially since the whole doctrine is like, "this is our best guess"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit