Rebuild of Babylon

by pettygrudger 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

I read this thread:

http://www.purelanguage.net/forums/showthread.php?s=e15a84ab92fd9b2062576836c09de936&threadid=6965

And it got me to thinking - & looking - for information on the rebuild of Babylon......I can't seem to find any "well" researched or informed documents - have any of you looked into this "prophecy" - and what were your conclusions?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I think it would be appropriate for the US to direct a dozen or so BLU-52s to the site of rebuilt Babylon, just as a symbolic gesture.

• Carmel
    Carmel

One could take it literaly, on the other hand, Babylon has a very special place in biblical prophecy that is spiritual. Consider "begotten in Babylon" is a term that occurs many times indicating the "return" will include this concept. Check the OT references to Christ's second coming.

carmel

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

1 Peter 5:13 speaks of the church at Babylon. Now, how could that be if Isaiah said it would be uninhabited? Of course, Catholics say this is an allusion to Rome and doesn't refer to ancient Babylon. The reference to Babylon the Great in Revelation 16:19; 17:5; 18:10, 21 are also said to be symbolical of Rome. What if the Catholics are wrong and this really refers to the rebuilding of the ancient city of Babylon? What, then, of Isaiah's prophecy?

• Carmel
    Carmel

"Moreover the word of the Lord came unto me, saying, The hands of Zerubbabel (Begotten in Babylon) have laid the foundation of this house; his hands shall also finish it; and thou shalt know that the Lord of Hosts hath sent me unto you."

Who laid the foundation of the "House of Israel"? and who will fulfill its completion?

"This is the word of the Lord unto Zerubbabel (Begotten in Babylon) , saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit, saith the Lord of Hosts."

Check out the book of Zechariah. The story of Babylon is as metaphorical as the nation of Isreal.

carmel

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Babylon was never dstroyed it was captured a number of times. It was a great and influential city under the Persians the Parthians and the Greeks. Cyrus the Great used the city as one of the administrative Caitals of the empire. In 275 BC the inhabitants were relocated by it's then Greek governors to Leucia for geo/political reasons. The city was not completely abandoned even then. In fact as late as the 2nd century a thriving community existed. Time changes everything,and atrophy of infrastructure and lack of local resources eventually forced the people to abandon her. As happens to nearly all cities. It is only in the furtile mind of Jewish writers that it was destroyed by the Persians and made desolate never to be inhabited. It is only in the equally furtile minds that it will play some role in Bible. Do not believe that if a passage of "prophecy" obviously went unfullfilled it MUST refer to a yet future event. Especially is this illogical when the Bible erroneously insists it was fullfilled, when this has been proven to have been mere exageration for propagandistic purposes.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I just thought I would show the WT comment on the prophecy, It is not exactly the unbiased info that Pettygrunger requested, but here it is:-

*** it-1 237 Babylon ***

However, the city and a settlement of Jews remained in early Christian times, giving the apostle Peter reason to visit Babylon, as noted in his letter. (1Pe 5:13) Inscriptions found there show that Babylons temple of Bel existed as late as 75 C.E. About the fourth century C.E. the city appears to have passed out of existence. It became nothing more than "piles of stones."Jer 51:37.Today nothing remains of Babylon but mounds and ruins, a veritable wasteland. (PICTURE, Vol. 2, p. 324) The book ArchaeologyandOldTestamentStudy states: "These extensive ruins, of which, despite Koldeweys work, only a small proportion has been excavated, have during past centuries been extensively plundered for building materials. Partly in consequence of this, much of the surface now presents an appearance of such chaotic disorder that it is strongly evocative of the prophecies of Isa. xiii. 1922 and Jer. 1. , 39 f., the impression of desolation being further heightened by the aridity which marks a large part of the area of the ruins."Edited by D. W. Thomas, Oxford, 1967, p. 41.

I seem to remember the recent plans to rebuild it were dismissed as a "Tourist attraction rather than a real city" in a more recent comment .

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Reading the above, if the city did not disappear until sometime in 4th century c.e.,then about 800 or 900 years passed before that time.

Well, nothing is expected to last forever! - hardly a prompt fulfillment of prophecy. The first example of the end being postponed????

It never struck me until now, it shows how you just accepted things when you were a dub.

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

Thanks all for the replies - chalk up another scare-mongering tactic!

• Carmel
    Carmel

Petty,

As you can see trying to understand the prophecy literally has too many contradictions and would have no lasting meaning anyway. Much like the hagiographical stories of raising someone from the dead only for them to re-die later on. So what is the value? If not a spiritual meaning of lasting import then pretty much a waste of time.

carmel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit