Origin of Hydrogen

by Satanus 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Satanus
    Satanus

Most elements on this earth were made inside stars. Stars fuse the lighter elements into heavier ones. Stars, in turn, are born from hydrogen clouds, generally called nebulae. These clouds can be humoungus.

As far as i know, hydrogen is the lightest element, though it has been predicted that there are several lighter ones than hydrogen. But, from where does it come? Any ideas from the student or professional scientists/cosmologists and stargazers or students of life. I did several searches of the net for an answer. Haven't been able to find one, so far.

SS

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

the big bang, produced the three atomically lightest elements.

• Realist
  • Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

After the universe cooled enough, the free-floating protons and electrons came together and formed the hydrogen atoms.

There are no other lighter atoms... only subatomic particles.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    As far as i know, hydrogen is the lightest element, though it has been predicted that there are several lighter ones than hydrogen.

There can't possibly be any elements lighter than hydrogen. Hydrogen is made up of one proton and one electron. Any less and it wouldn't be an atom.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Thanks astros. I think i got it. Here it is---

From 1 to 3 seconds... formation of the first atomic nuclei
    The temperature drops to 10 6 K or 1 000 000 K : this is sufficiently low for protons and neutrons to be able to durably assemble.

Protons alone form hydrogen nuclei.

All hydrogen (at least the nuclei) came into existence during the first 3 seconds or so. Electrons joined them later. Until then they were batchelors. This answer leads to another question, did hydrogen production totally cease after those first 3 seconds?

I think hindus would be interested in how god managed to keep from getting tangled up in this whole process.

SS

• Robdar
    Robdar

Okay Guys,

Dont laugh at me but I have a question. I know that neutrons are used to release energy in an atomic bomb producing a chain reaction. How is energy in a hydrogen bomb released?

Thanks for your comments. And thanks for not laughing at my question.

Love,

Robyn

• JeffT
    JeffT

An "atomic" bomb works by breaking heavy atoms into smaller atoms which results in a release of energy. A hydrogen bomb works by fusing Hydrogen atoms into Helium atoms which also results in a release of energy. Early atomic were very inefficient only about 4% of the material went into the reaction. The rest of it was blown all over as radioactive fallout. Modern bombs are much more efficient (on the order of about 90%), thus they can be much more powerful with less radiation.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Jeff,

Thank you for answering my question. I really should get off my duff and take some chemistry and physics classes at the local Jr college.

Thanks again.

Robyn

• AlanF
    AlanF

Adding to what JeffT said, a hydrogen bomb is actually comprised of a regular atomic bomb and a material containing heavy hydrogen, or deuterium. The atomic bomb acts as a trigger. When it explodes, it floods the hydrogen atoms with neutrons, and produces an extremely high temperature, which causes the heavy hydrogen atoms to fuse into helium and releases huge amounts of energy. Some hydrogen bombs use a foamy plastic material (plastic contains lots of hydrogen) to keep the hydrogen in place in the bomb.

AlanF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit