Professors and Students Defend Evolution

by Sea Breeze 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sea Breeze
  • mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

This video is such bull shit. Its a ken Ham type cherry picking moments to make it look like people who see evolution as fact are incapable of defending it.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

SB, you know there is also tons of videos where they ask Christians to PROVE that the Bible is inspired of God.

Besides giving a tons of anecdotes,----- none of them could give any proof that the Almighty God inspired ancient men who lived thousands of years ago, to write down God's thoughts on a number of little books that contradict each other.

The absolute proof would be for God himself to speak out----but instead SILENCE!

If evolutionist can't give absolute proof of evolution, neither can Christians give ABSOLUTE PROOF that the the bible is inspired of God.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Mickbobcat,

I’m curious; Which of the questions that the interviewer asked was offensive to you?

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    If evolutionist can't give absolute proof of evolution, neither can Christians give ABSOLUTE PROOF that the the bible is inspired of God.

Pistolpete: In a sense I think you are confirming the gist of the interviews: And that is to demonstrate that in the absence of observable evidence, atheist evolutionists live a life of faith, just like any other religion.

But it is much bigger than that. The larger umbrella of Materialism states that it only allows for material causes and testable scientific evidence. It holds that matter is the fundamental substance in nature, and that all things are results of material interactions.

So, the atheist, materialist, evolutionist worldview is objectionable on grounds of being inconsistent, arbitrary, and contradictory to itself.

Because:

1. It goes beyond observable science

2. Regularly recognizes and uses things that are not material such as:

- Ideas

- Codes like DNA

- Consciousnesses

- Mathematics

- True false statements

- Faith

- Information

- Evil

- Morals

- Ethics

These are all non-material things selectively used by materialists to try and prove materialism. This lack of congruity is contrasted with Christianity, which is a much more consistent worldview. For instance, evolutionists have a problem finding a basis for describing evil and dealing with evil.

Many universities either have a class called something like "The Problem of Evil" or at least spend some time on this topic in Philosophy.

There is no "problem" of evil from a Christian perspective. God can either 1.) Enable evil by forever doing nothing about it. 2.) Prevent it by taking away our free-will. 3. Or Judge evil.

Christians maintain that evil will be dealt with by option # 3 - Judging it. What makes Christianity so spectacular, is that Christians maintain.... with much evidence, that God took on human flesh and judged evil as worthy of death and actually took the punishment for it Himself.... because he loved us so much that he couldn't bear the thought of us having to pay the penalty for it ourselves.

To prove it all, He walked out of a tomb and presented himself openly and thus changed the course of human history forever.

Born again Christians will testify (which is powerful evidence in a court of Law) that Jesus is actually living inside of them, sculpting an image of himself from the inside. So, they know God as much as they know their wife, boss, friend or husband and don't doubt his existence and less that anyone else they know.

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

I consider this a BS issue, the only motivation for Christian opposition to evolution is a herd mentality motivated by the question of authority and big money. As the Ham says himself, if the young people can not get their (absolute) answers from us, who can they get them from. Imagine Christians actually read biblical creation prose and eschatology with the glasses originally intended. But few understand this, both the creationists and the evil apostates have their agenda

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I think an important exercise to have with anyone prior to entering into a conversation such as this would be -

If you believe in the Biblical creation account as having taken place in the literal sense and do not believe in evolution, what evidence (if any) would you accept that would change your mind?

If the answer is "none" I would recommend you exit the conversation with some pleasantry and be about your business. You are dealing with an individual who is closed minded.

What is evolution? In this context it is only a slow change to an organism to adapt to its environment. Evolution is not life from lifelessness. That is abiogenesis. Amino acids form a single, one-celled life form. Abiogenesis. That one-celled life form turns into a complex lifeform over millions of years - macroevolution.

Just because evolution is real doesn't preclude a creator. The evidence of evolution exists in DNA.

The "Problem of Evil" is no problem at all. What is "evil"? That depends on your cultural upbringing. However, it is generally accepted as a lack of empathy and being self-centered. So, if there is an all-powerful, benevolent creator, why is there evil? The thought process on this is either A) The creator is not all-powerful, B) the creator is not benevolent, or C) there is no creator. Even atheists are coming around to the fact that this philosophy given to us by Epicurus is flawed thinking.

I like the way philosopher Alan Watts puts it -

The next problem where they differ so sharply is, Why have things gone wrong? Why is there evil; why is there pain; why is there tragedy? In the Christian tradition you have to attribute evil to something besides God. God is defined as good, and He originally created the scheme of things without any evil in it. But there was a mysterious accident, in which one of the angels, called Lucifer, did not do what he was told. And there was the Fall of Man. Man disobeyed, he went against the law of God, and from that point on evil was introduced into the scheme of things and things began to go wrong, that is to say, against the will of the will of the perfectly good creator.
    The Hindu thinks in a different way. He feels that the creator or the actor is the author of both – good and evil for the reasons, as I explained it to you, you have to have the evil for there to be a story. In any case, it is not as if the creator had made evil and made someone else its victim. It isn’t like saying “God creates the evil as well as the good, and poor little us are his puppets and he inflicts evil upon us.” The Hindu says, “Nobody experiences pain except the Godhead.” You are not some separate little puppet who is being kicked around by omnipotence. You are omnipotence in disguise. So there is no victim of this, no helpless, defenseless, poor little thing. Even the baby with syphilis is the dreaming Godhead.
  • Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    The "Problem of Evil" is no problem at all. What is "evil"? That depends on your cultural upbringing.

I believe atheists have trouble identifying evil and figuring out what to do about it.

In an interview in The Times magazine on Saturday (Sept. 7), Richard Dawkins, 72, he said he was unable to condemn what he called "the mild pedophilia" he experienced at an English school when he was a child in the 1950s.

Referring to his early days at a boarding school in Salisbury, he recalled how one of the (unnamed) masters "pulled me on his knee and put his hand inside my shorts."

He said other children in his school peer group had been molested by the same teacher but concluded: "I don't think he did any of us lasting harm."

"I am very conscious that you can't condemn people of an earlier era by the standards of ours."

Amino acids form a single, one-celled life form....That one-celled life form turns into a complex lifeform over millions of years

truth_b_known,

Can you point to any observable science that supports these conclusions?

• jhine
    jhine

" Just because evolution is real doesn't preclude a creator "

As a Christian who takes this view ( as l have said l , like Sea Breeze , do not see this as a salvation issue - it's a personal choice ) l would say that l agree with that statement.

On another thread l recommended the writings of John Polkinghorne and Hugh Ross on this subject . Both are or were ( Polkinghorne died recently) prominent scientists in their disciplines who are Christians.

They bring together faith and science in their writing .

Jan

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

SeaBreeze:

The Miller-Urey Experiment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNijmxsKGbc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit