You'll Never Get Blessings If You Don't Listen

by minimus 13 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

In all the years that I've been a Witness, one thing that I remember is hearing that if we didn't do everything we were supposed to do, we would not recieve blessings from Jehovah. Our performance in fulfilling goals and quotas meant that we must do more in the service so that we could recieve blessings from God. If we ever slacked off, we would be reminded that there would be nothing for Jehovah to bless. If we got sick or developed problems at home, school or work, we were never going to recieve the fullest blessings available. I know many that got sick or became infirm due to age and they always felt guilty because they were not really doing what they used to do for Jehovah. They felt that God would not be happy with their lack of work. They were not refreshed either when all they would read or hear is that we must do more. How happy we are knowing that we don't have to measure up to anyone else's ideals and demands!

Edited by - minimus on 11 February 2003 15:56:30

• Gopher
    Gopher

Yes that principle did put PRESSURE on the ordinary Witness. I remember an elderly fellow in North Minneapolis who became a JW quite late in his life, after years of heavy smoking. He toiled as an auxiliary pioneer for many years after he retired, and was known for placing over 100 magazines each month. In the last 2 years of his life, he could barely manage one hour a month. (No 15-minute rule back then!!) He told me he was so sad that he couldn't do "enough". (Of course I told him I was sure he was doing all he could, and that his past record surely counts for something!!) He went to his grave thinking he wasn't doing enough for Jehovah.

As for this "blessing the effort" nonsense, it sounds like Jehovah is some kind of &%# banker who pays 3% interest on your savings account. No money, no reward. The principle is the same the way the JW's see it, Jehovah keeps track of numbers/statistics and "rewards" you spiritually. Not enough effort, no reward according to the JW's.

But Jesus said that God makes it rain on both the righteous and unrighteous. He gives of himself freely to both, without keeping an accounting.

Jesus said "You MUST be perfect" in this same way as God is perfect. Jehovah's Witnesses in portraying God as so demanding are very far from being "perfect" in their love and giving as Jesus would have had them do.

They're unchristian. They're a heartless publishing corporation, driven by numbers/statistics/quotas. What's love got to do, got to do with it?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Yes, many was the time that a faithful "sister" would confide that she was heartily sick of exhotation to Pioneer when she clearly could not do so. The motivational experiences only made them unworthy.

Thank goodness we are free of all that!!!!!

• crownboy
    crownboy

I know many that got sick or became infirm due to age and they always felt guilty because they were not really doing what they used to do for Jehovah. They felt that God would not be happy with their lack of work. They were not refreshed either when all they would read or hear is that we must do more. How happy we are knowing that we don't have to measure up to anyone else's ideals and demands!

Yeah, it's very sad the way these older ones were conditioned to feel. At the last circuit assembly I went to, one of the speakers talked about the 15 minute rule and the positive effect it would have on elderly ones. He gave the experience of one older one, who upon learning about the new rule said "this is truly a blessing from Jehovah. For years I was unable to be a regular publisher, but now with this new rule, I am confident that I can now have a fuller share in the ministry. If I can't even make fifteen minutes a month for Jehovah, I'd just die. ".

The stress that the JW religion puts on field service is so disproportionately high to the importance the bible itself puts on it, it's just amazing. The poor older person who was practically in some sort of bed ridden condition feels that god would be displeased with her because she couldn't turn in a field service slip regularly (she was a former regular poineer). Even more sick, of course, is the fact that the Society would even use such a noxious experience to illustrate a point. I don't think most Witnesses could go home from conventions thinking they were "doing enough". There is always some "materialistic" persuit that could be eliminated to reach some newer, grander "theocratic" goal. Whether you were an elder or the lowliest irregular publisher, they always made you feel like you could give more of your time to them, and of course since very few actually did that, most had a constant guilt about not "reaching out" enough. I'm just happy my life isn't run by that cooperation anymore.

• larc
    larc

If is very sad indeed. Their religion of works is a sure fire recipe for the lowering of self esteem, increased depression, and even suicide. How sad.

• ChakkaConned
    ChakkaConned

Remember the Awake article about the sister who pioneered while being confined to an iron lung? What a guilt trip that was meant to induce! If she can do that, how much more could YOU do with your HEALTHY sorry ass?!

After a decade of listening to and reading of these *motivating* experiences, I finally began to recognize exactly what the society was trying to do to people. These experiences eventually meant nothing to me and I began to disregard them and all of the other guilt provoking JW propaganda, even long before I left the religion. I wish that those who feel so unworthy would determine not to let other equally imperfect men dictate their self worth regarding their spirituality. A relationship with God should be a source of joy, comfort and acceptance and I believe that is what God wants people to experience....not the self loathing and negative self esteem that the WT continuosly promotes. I feel so sorry for the elderly who have lived long hard lives who can't even have the satisfaction that they have pleased God because they should be doing more than they're able.

These self appointed masters over others faiths have much, much to account for.

• minimus
    minimus

Do you remember the experience of the brother that pioneered while paralyzed? He couldn't move anything but his head. He would get a pencil in his mouth and type up letters so as to witness............If he could preach the good news full-time , so can we.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Yeah the brother who was paralyzed.... I remember that one! I remember thinking, well he's probably supported by government funds, has people caring for him full time, so what else is he going to do with his time? If I had all the money and care in the world, I'd go nuts without SUMTHIN to do.

• minimus
    minimus

C'mon Gopher....Give a paralyzed guy a break.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Oops -- didn't mean to come across as unsympathetic. (I really despise the WTS for using this paralyzed man as a guilt-inducing tool, and not the paralytic himself.) I am walking-impaired myself, that's bad enough. I can hardly imagine how frustrating total paralysis would be. Anyone who makes something out of their life in such a state really deserves credit. (Sorry if it came across differently)

Edited by - Gopher on 11 February 2003 22:8:40

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit