A Modest proposal to solve the 1914 problem

by r51785 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo
    They are stuck with 1914, because : No 1914 = No 1919 Choosing by Jesus = Today's G.B are self-appointed Charlatans.

Exactly this, change 1914...1919 fails and ends the self-appointed F&S over the domestics crap.

They can't change 1914 without changing how the big J chose them.

They are stuck.

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

Article 1 is strange and twisted.

Because a made up class called the 'Faithful and Discreet Slave' were not formed until after 1919, anything written before then could not have been true?

The same class today, after over 100 years in existence admits to being un-inspired and having no special knowledge and anything written by them is subject to change. At the same time they expect everything they say to be taken as seriously as if god had said it.

Once again, trying to have it both ways. Article 1 discounts 1914 as a valid teaching and yet article 4 says all of Jesus's prophecies revolve around 1914.

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo
    The controversy over 587 and 607 disappears because 1914 will be based solely on the prophecies of Jesus and not with a 7-time

But becomes far more generic as the prophecies of Jesus were applied to date by believers from the 1700's onwards through 1800's and 1900's. How would they prove god picked the F&S in 1919?

Their argument they were selected becomes far weaker.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

There is always enough flexibility in interpretation to come up with a new explanation for why they are the FD&S that dismisses the 1919 teaching (which itself required quite a lot of flexibility in interpretation!).

I get the feeling that they're running up against a wall, since they are continuing to change what were/are core teachings of the organization. But when you look at those teachings, they were pretty far out there to begin with, and I don't think the rank and file know enough about them anymore. So they can probably change them and it will have relatively little impact, even though it should be a huge deal. If they could slip that overlapping generations nonsense past them, what else can they get away with?

• Leathercrop
    Leathercrop

The issue is not coming up with a plausible reason or even a reason that "makes a lot of sense" for changing the 1914 doctrine. The issue is changing it at all. It will convey the extremely disappointing notion that we really don't know how close we are to "the end". And it will further push the JW religion into mainstream. This could be a good thing depending on each individual's mindset. For the old guard it's the last nail in the coffin. And by old guard I include anyone basically over 50.

• Ron.W.
    Ron.W.

👍👍

And while we're on the subject of pathetic watchtower pronouncement's, if I ever hear that phrase starting with 'Cedar Point Ohio'... one more time I think I will retch!!😉😉

• LeeMerk
    LeeMerk

All this chronology is messy. All they have to do is say the last days are a period of time. A time that started in 33 at Pentecost. The Church age or Age of Grace. In their case, they can call it the Period of Undeserved Kindness. 😆

• Elena
    Elena

Another proposal to solve the 1914 problems would be to admit the men who thought that up have all died and the current GB have inherited this false doctrine.

The truth is everything hinges on 1914. Everything. Elders pray in the name of our reigning king Jesus. They teach that Jesus started ruling in 1914, this was when he battled with Satan and the demons and threw him out of heaven.

I think there is no way they could admit they were wrong about this and survive. All they can do is not talk about it and hope JWs are so stupid, hey this has worked for many decades.

• scholar
    scholar

r51785

Throughout Watchtower history dates have been a problem. The usual solution for failed prophetic dates has been to kick the can down the road. This needs to be done with 1914. The generation that will never pass away is now 110 years old and therefore is past its useful life span. The best thing to do would be to find a more recent date to replace 1914 ( kind of like when the Judge replaced 1874 with 1914). I have a proposal. I apologize if someone has already brought this up, but I haven't seen it mentioned.

---

There is no problem for our dates are based on a sound biblical chronology that has served us well and that of Christendom's scholarship. Nothing needs to be done about 1914 for it is rock solid based on the following key factors:

1. Biblical Chronology
    2. Gentile Times doctrine- Bible Prophecy
    3. Modern secular history

The generation doctrine has 'muddied the waters' but remains one of the key factors that prove that we are living in the time of our Lord's Parousia and the 'conclusion of the system of things'.

----

1914 is based on a period called "The Seven Gentile Times." The Watchtower says that this is the period from the destruction of the Jerusalem temple in 607 BCE to Jesus coming into kingdom power (invisibly) in 1914. The calculation is: seven times equals seven lunar years of 360 days (7 x 360 days = 2520 days). Days are converted to years thus giving us 2520 years. From 607 BCE to 1914 CE is 2520 years. But what if new light reveals that seven times is actually seven solar years? That would mean each year or "time" would be 365.25 days (365.25 x 7 = 2556.75). That means that instead of the "Seven Gentile Times" being 2520 years they would be 2556.75 years. Thus counting 2556.75 years from 607 BCE we would end at the summer of 1951. The generation of 1951 is only 73 years old! No more overlap needed!

---

Good summary! The idea that the 'seven times' can only be interpreted as 'seven solar years' makes no sense, simply fanciful. Far better to stick to the dual application model i.e. seven literal years with Neb's reign and the figurative period of Gentile rule over the potential reign of God's Kingdom typified by the Davidic Monarchy.

scholar JW

• scholar
    scholar

Phizzy

The 1914 Doctrine is complete and utter bollocks from start to finish, start = 607 BCE which has been totally discredited as a date for the destruction of Jerusalem, King neb. was not even ruling then ! It has been proven by several methods that are irrefutable evidence that the destruction the Org. refers to happened in 587 BCE.

--

The only bollocks is that Jerusalem was destroyed in 587 BCE which is impossible because the Jewish Exile under the Babylonians lasted for 70 years and ended with the release of the Jews in Babylon in 537 BCE. Thus counting back 70 years one arrives at the beginning of the Exile in 607 BCE and not 587 BCE. Further, scholars cannot agree as to whether the destruction of Jerusalem was in 587 or 586 BCE so scholarship is very fuzzy here .

The calculated, precise date of 607 BCE for the destruction of Jerusalem and its Temple under the reigns of the Babylonian King, Nebuchadnezzar and the Judean King, Zedekiah is well documented in both biblical and secular history Despite the best attempts by scholars originating with Adventist scholars in Australia and later foolish attempts utilizing so-called 'seventeen lines of evidence', the date 607 BCE is the only possible date for the Fall.

scholar JW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit