Hair today, gone tomorrow...

by Carmel 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Carmel
    Carmel

I note since I've been on various JW chat groups that having a beard in some places is a DF'ing offense. I don't recall this being the case when I was a dubby. When did it become such and is there something written in the Witchtower declaring it so?

curiouser and curiouser carmel

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Carmel,

I heard from a good source that a jw just became an elder and he has had a beard for years.

The rationale was explained that there is nothing in writing from the WTS about beards.

I don't think it's ever been a df'g matter. And now certainly with an elder being appointed. But, granted, it IS in California!

Patio

• outnfree
    outnfree

If it just happened in California it won't be accepted on the East Coast for another 15 years or so! LOL

• Carmel
    Carmel

So Patio34,

Is one Df'd for ostensibly for other reasons? It seems I've seen several references to it being the begining of the end for many!

carm

BTW, are you a front deck or a surround for a back yard pool???

• larc
    larc

This was discussed earlier, and in some places having a beard will get you in deep trouble. I dropped in on a convention a couple years back here in Ohio and there was no facial hair on any of the men in attendance, except for me the apostate.

• Simon
    Simon

Where we are beards are not a Df offence BUT you won't have any 'priveledges' (talks, mics, assembly items etc...) if you have one.

I remember a talk at a circuit assembly where they had an example of a brother who wouldn't shave his beard off despite being counceled to by the elders. He left 'the truth' and got a job at Disney World where no-beards were mandatory.

"So brothers... he shaved it off for Mickey Mouse but didn't for Jehovah..." (lol, audience all laughts and claps).

Of course, Jehovah didn't ask him to shave it it off (if he didn't like them why did he create the things and put so many commands in the bible about NOT shaving!?). Also, there are no set commands so it is just some stupid power loving yokel local elder making a rule. At least with a corporation such as Disney they have a published, consistent set of rules.

• cecil
    cecil

Now here comes another beard-story from Denmark:

Brothers have beards, they become appointed as ms and elders with beards, they are allowed to give public talks with beards, and they are even allowed to give talks at curcuit-assemblies.

But district-assemblies?! That's something different. Brothers with a beard are not allowed to give talks at district assemblies - they simply won't be appointed for the talks. BUT A MOUSTACHE IS STILL OKAY THERE TOO - brothers with moustaches are allowed to be part of the program, give talks...

And that's no joke!

cecil

• Carmel
    Carmel

I'm sorry for what seems to be nit picking but one last question. Does the Elders Manual or any other document published by the FDS ever put in print these limitations?

I was going to ask if shaving the palms was manditory, but I'll leave that for 4eyes to ask!!!lol

carmel

• Esmeralda
    Esmeralda
    Of course, Jehovah didn't ask him to shave it it off (if he didn't like them why did he create the
    things and put so many commands in the bible about NOT shaving!?). Also, there are no set
    commands so it is just some stupid power loving yokel local elder making a rule. At least with
    a corporation such as Disney they have a published, consistent set of rules.

Loved your post, Simon! That is so typical of the drivel given in talks at assemblies. It's so
    true about the whole "yokel" mentality.

When I was a kid, my father was reproved and removed from being a servant for refusing to shave his beard off
    (My mother liked it...and the woman doesn't like anything!) She got in trouble about
    the same time for wearing pant suits to the meetings (or pants under her skirts) when it
    was freezing outside. (She still does this, now she wears skirts to her ankles so no
    one can see the pants *lol*)

Out here beards are still against the rules. Mustaches are not.

I've worked for Disney before and had to get used to going without eye makeup. Some of
    the girls hated having their fingernails no longer than a quarter inch past the nail bed. The
    manager of the store would actually get out a ruler and measure. No 'extreme' hair colors (that means no
    blondes with dark roots, also) I think they are the only corporation on earth who has more
    grooming rules than the Society *lol*

Interesting thread. I love your point about men not shaving in the bible. Look at Samson!
    He couldn't even cut his hair! And what about guys wearing earrings? Now there is an idea
    I can get behind *lol*

Essie

The Four Agreements:
    Be Impeccable With Your Word
    Don't Take Anything Personally
    Don't Make Assumptions
    Always Do Your Best

• anglise
    anglise

This I think might be the WT that the beard argument is based on
    WT 1975 8/15 page 500-501

9 Extreme hair styles can easily lead one into a trap of the Devil also, and cause others to stumble. For example, a young man in the United States was making fine progress in his study of the Bible, and he was moved to share with an experienced Witness in preaching to others about the good things he was learning from the Bible. From early youth he had let his beard grow, and since some in the business community wore beards, he felt that his wearing one in preaching to others would be acceptable generally. But in speaking to a lady he was unable to do more than introduce himself, when she said: "I'm sorry, young man, I do not want to become involved in student revolt." No amount of explanation after this sufficed to clear up the misimpression. After the conversation ended with the closing of the door, he asked the experienced Witness what had happened. He was invited to consider his appearance in relation to what he claimed to be, a servant of God. Not wanting to be responsible for even one person's being stumbled so as to miss the way to everlasting life, this new Kingdom publisher shaved off his beard. Would you be willing to do the same or to make similar adjustments if your appearance gave the wrong impression in a certain community?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit