Normal things you missed out on as a kid (besides holidays)

by Are you serious 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Are you serious
    Are you serious

Since me and my siblings had to go to service every Saturday, and I mean EVERY Saturday, I missed out on something so normal as watching good ole Saturday morning cartoons from the 70's and 80's. I remember wishing I could stay home just one Saturday so I could watch cartoons. But noooo we had to go save lives! I never did save any lives as a result of Saturday service. I was so envious of worldly kids.

What normal thing do you wish you could have done as a kid?

• fulano
    fulano

There are many topics about it.

study

dating

sex

partying

the usual stuff

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Little league baseball

4 H club

Jr. High & High school football

Summer camp

School band

School dances & holiday events

Boy Scout's

All the things that help a person build self esteem and social skills. Instead I got to wear a suit and knock on doors. Still Totally ADD

• Normalfulla
    Normalfulla

I'm with u on missing out the Saturday morning cartoons , i think i saw 1 episode of fraggle rock ha ha

• Cimarrona
    Cimarrona

School dances

Sports

Shameless masturbation

Dating

Sex education

Mini skirts

Carefree sundays

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Speaking of Saturday morning cartoons...

Back in 1965 when I was about 8 years old, (I remember it as if it were yesterday) one rainy Saturday morning, the field service car group I was in, stopped to call on someone who was spiritually weak.

They had kids my age and the kids were watching bugs bunny on TV. I was utterly delighted when the adults got into a long drawn out conversation about the nearness of the end and I got to watch cartoons (out of the corner of my eye) as they "encouraged" the weak parents to improve their meeting attendance.

There were a lot of things I missed out on but mostly I missed out on the peaceful carefree time of life that childhood is supposed to be because on a daily basis, I was reminded that there was death and destruction looming on the horizon for anyone who didn't "Love Jehovah" and "Love being a Jehovah's Witness" and didn't find joy in "serving" him,

Here we are in 2017 and the kid who was never supposed to graduate from high school (1975), went to Bethel, came home got married had a career, had kids and is now a new grandpa (yeah !!) and getting ready to retire. The long dreaded "great tribulation" and the cataclysmic event (Armageddon) never materialized.

The worst thing of all is that (even here on this forum) , none of what I went through really matters to anyone else today. At a certain age, you come to realize that the things you experienced in your past life is sort of dismissed and considered no longer relevant by those who are younger and view the experiences of those who lived in the past as different and less important than their own (things were different back in the olden days). To be fair, I did the same thing myself when I was younger because I couldn't relate. Now I appreciate what the ones that went ahead of me, were taking about. And on it goes....the more things change, the more they stay the same.

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

Friends that could come home with you from school.

A hope of achieving an art career.

Life without the constant fear of God's judgement.

• millie210
    millie210

I remember a play at school. It was Little Women. I auditioned and got a part. Couldnt do it however because the play was on a Tuesday night at our school and of course that was sacred bookstudy night, right?

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

and of course that was sacred bookstudy night, right?

Which was oh so important and life saving that it doesn't even exist today.

• fulano
    fulano

Your longer post about nobody understanding nor caring is so to the point, great!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit