Getting ready to visit the San Diego area......Any suggestions?

by drewcoul 16 Replies latest jw friends

• drewcoul
    drewcoul

My son is getting ready to move to Hawaii. We are driving from Indianapolis to San Diego next week so that they can ship his car from the West Coast and save about a thousand dollars versus shipping it from here.

I am only going to be there for a few days, Thursday through Sunday and would like some suggestions of what to do while I'm there. If anyone would like to meet up and have an adult beverage or a cup of coffee, my son and I would really appreciate it.

I have never been west of Denver and am a little anxious about it. Especially with him moving so far away at the same time.

Thanks,

-Andrew

• KateWild
    KateWild

My daughter is in San Diego right now. She said she had fun in the zoo. She is there for four more days.

Kate xx

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass

First be proud ofmyourmson man! I said screw my JW family and joined the Army at the tender age of 17, I Was in boot camp on my 18th birthday. I know my dad (non baptized JW only making my mom happy and Royal Navy vet) was proud of me - he hugged me at the train departure and said so.

I loved being a young man venturing out into the wild blue yonder, what an incredible life experience. And my sense of adventure has always been my mainstay to this day with an amazing wife who shares the same passion. Wow to be young and head out on your maiden voyage.

secondly you're going to love the real west drive. The moutains and pink deserts are breath taking. San Diego, La Jolla was the first place I stayed coming to the US (I had connections). It's an awesome place, multicultural, great cuisine and great night life. And the beaches are Caribbean sweet.

The moment I read your thread it struck a nerve. I wish the two of you the greatest father and son journey ever (you're a rock star dad) and envy both your and his proud moments in a young future. Goodluck to him, I toast a glass of Laphroaig tonight!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I'd highly recommend taking the tour of the aircraft carrier Midway. There is also a submarine that can be toured. Seems like it was about $20 for the ticket.

Doc

• ssn587
    ssn587
    San Diego Zoo one if if not the best in the world, Sea World, La Jolla for reasons already given. The Landing in Coronado, and in town a bevy of restaurants and places to visit and see. The drive out, which route are you taking? You could plan a trip to the Grand Canyon, however you go be safe and enjoy yourselves.
  • pronomono
    pronomono

I've heard that jackin' it is popular in San Diego.

"Jackin' it, jackin' it, jack-ity jack, spankin' it, slappin' it, spank-ity slap!"...

lol. I watch too much South Park. I've always wanted to visit there, but haven't had a chance. So no real suggestions except watch the South Park episode on Jackin' It before you go to San Diego.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I'm about 3 or 4 hours away and have to work Friday and Saturday next week. Otherwise, I'd love to get a drink with you two.

What time are you leaving on Sunday (Sept 20)?

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Hi Drew, best wishes to you and your son! I've never been to the Hotel Del Coronado on the beach in San Diego but have read about it online and enjoyed photos. That is the hotel featured in the movie Some Like It Hot. If I was going out there I would like to stay there or at least go for lunch.

Whatever you do I am sure you'll have a great time!

Marina

• just fine
    just fine

Coronado. Balboa park was fun, the beach with the boardwalks and the carnival rides.

One night we ate at a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse near the water, outside on the terrace, and that night there were fireworks..... So nice.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

How's about taking a drive out to 4440 Braeburn Road, San Diego, CA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adB1yw49MyI

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit