Did the movie Matrix remind you of the Borg

by Fruitcake 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake

I am going to rewatch the movie Matrix, because a member of this board said that it reminded him of the Watchtower, and how it showed the WT to be a controlling entity that brainwashed its meek followers while others saw through the facade and fought against it.

The movie Stigmata, about the catholic church, reminded me of the Watchtower also.....

Maybe Jehovah is using movies to speak to us, especially through R rated movies that they SO warned us against..(or maybe I'm a fruitcake)

My friend elumn8 and I are watching a bunch of R rated movies now that we broke away, and we think we are learning something! hurray...

• D8TA
    D8TA

I guess one could parallel the Matrix as to their WTBTS experience. I have more of an outside point of view of that movie, encompassing everything in general on this planet. One That Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest is the one I relate to, when it comes to the WTBTS and my experience.

And I have my pillow ready for all of ya...heh heh heh.

• cyrano
    cyrano

Yes, the movie reminded me of what it felt like 'waking up' from the watchtower illusion. It was like being in a bubble all those years and then suddenly having it burst.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Fruitcake...this link might interest you.

http://www.envoymagazine.com/backissues/4.5/coverstory.html

Lots of parallels btween the Matrix and the Bible. It does remind me of the society too. We are supposed to know so much and only so much. We aren't supposed to wake up, and when we do, we're "apostates!"

I loved the movie, Stigmata. There was a lesson I learned from it. God (or spirit or higher power) is in every stone, every tree, every piece of wood.....NOT in a million dollar building. NOT in ANY organization.

April

• Gizmo
    Gizmo

Yep, the movie Matrix, definately reminded me of The Society while watching it. Whenever there are episodes of Star Trek featuring the Borg, that also very much reminds me of the Organisation.

As for

Maybe Jehovah is using movies to speak to us, especially through R rated movies that they SO warned us against..(or maybe I'm a fruitcake)

Errr...that is streching it a bit Fruitcake

I think those that have tend to align with the negative manipulative aspects portrayed by those films with what we have been exposed to in the society we were in. The similarities are enormous in a fictional sort of way, however only those that have been trapped inside a society that manifests itself as light, but in reality is darkness can associate the resemblence.

Edited by - Gizmo on 8 February 2003 2:38:1

• FiveShadows
    FiveShadows
    Did the movie Matrix remind you of the Borg

Actually it's life as it is now. I feel like we're dreaming and we're about to become like Gandof (from lord of the rings twin towers) when he becomes the white wizard and/or neo from the matrix. (more like Gandoff though) When we get resurrected.

The movie Stigmata, about the catholic church, reminded me of the Watchtower also.....

well actually the movie stigmata's point was...it's not just the catholic church, but rather all religions if i remember correctly. People start screaming 'DEMONIC DEMONIC' when they see that movie just because the bed catches on fire and the room has fire etc...or the voice is very 'deep for a women' etc. it's all a bunch of crap. They miss the entire point of that movie. i remember the first time i watched that movie i believe was in 2000 and i was with a brother who at the time still beleived in the jw's ...as did i, but we were walking towards the grey area instead of black and white for R rated movies. But anyway He said 'Some demons probably planted scriptures in stone in 1945 to lead people away from the Truth,' Though i believed it cause i didn't know what to believe at the time and he was the one taking care of me, i now see the stupidity in that statement. Seeing how my beliefs right now...are identical to the movie ...(i had forgotten about the movie when i reached a conclusion of my beliefs) and i do believe the message of that movie is Truth. 'The Kingdom of God is inside you, and all around you, not in buildings of wood and stone. Split a peice of wood and I am there, lift a stone and you shall find me. These are the hidden sayings of the living Jesus. Whomever discovers the secret of these sayings...will never taste Death at all.' There's no doubt in my mind whether that is inspired or not. but instead of people focusing on the message...they look at the 'appearance' of things and determine whether it's Inspired or NOT. Failing to see that God does NOT care about the apperance of things but the Heart. (1 Samuel 16:7) It can be the UGLIEST thing in the world but if it has the most beautiful (full of love...compassion..merciful etc..) heart ...God will look at that. If it's the most BEAUTIFUL thing in the world physically...God will still look at the heart. Because apperance can be deceptive. God does not see things the way man does. He created the hippo's...and swine...that live in mud...that people would consider 'ugly' but he also created the butterflies and the horses that people would consider to be 'beautiful.'

Edited to add all this:

I loved the movie, Stigmata. There was a lesson I learned from it. God (or spirit or higher power) is in every stone, every tree, every piece of wood.....NOT in a million dollar building. NOT in ANY organization.

Praise Jah!

Well i personally don't know whether that's true or not (the fruitcake part j/k)

But i do see a lot of similarities to the bible ...Especially in Star wars. 'The force' being 'love' and midi-chlorian being Truth. ("Midi-chlorians are a microcopic lifeform that reside within all living cells and communicates with the Force. Life forms living together for mutual advantage. Without the
    midi-chlorians, life could not exist, and we would have no knowledge of the
    Force. They continually speak to you, telling you the will of the Force
    ." ~ taken from Episode I when Anakin inquires of this from Qui-Gon ) "Jesus said: 'I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one goes to the father except through me' " (John 14:6) and reread the stigmata comment about the kingdom of God, and think about how many times Christ taught us what the 'will of the Father' was. Also Mt 28:27,28

Qui-Gon: "When you learn to quiet your mind you will hear them speaking to you" (Galations 5:17-23, Collosions 3: 9,10)

PadMae) Are you allowed to love? I thought that was forbidden for a Jedi.

Anakin) Attachment is forbidden. (Mt: 6:19-21) Possession is forbidden. ( Mt 10:10) Compassion, which I would define as unconditional love, is central to a Jedi's life, so you might say we're encouraged to love. (Mt 5:43,44 John 15:13)

Being able to move things around with your mind. (Mt 17:20) 'Faith the size of a mustard grain can move mountians.'

There's so much more and soooooooo much more in Star Wars and even Lord of the Rings...that speak Truth...it's amazing. People think it's all 'science fiction' and/or fantasy when in actuality...there's mroe truth in there then people realize...they just need to open their eyes and accept it. Truth is in EVERYTHING...you just gotta listen closely and seek it out. I tried explaining that to a few friends...they just either brushed it off or laughed. =/ the 'fighting' that jedi's do...isn't scriptural of course :-D But i was referring to the knowledge that the Force gave and their abilities.

~FS

Edited by - FiveShadows on 8 February 2003 18:4:56

• FiveShadows
    FiveShadows

Edited by - FiveShadows on 8 February 2003 18:6:18

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit