GEEK Mail help please?

by SixofNine 10 Replies latest jw friends

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Quick, before Comf sees that I've posted a computer question on a JW board.

So my Outlook mail program is crashing... BAD. Can't seem to fix it. It will open, but the second I click on anything, an error window pops up that says "Outlook.exe has errors. An error log is being generated". The really frustrating part of this is that Microsoft puts all mail, all contacts, all everything-outlook, in one big file called a pst. A few other programs can import that file (outlook express is the only one that did it correctly, however), but they can only do it by using Outlook. So if outlook won't run.... you're screwed from accessing your mail or contacts.

I used another computer to load outlook and my old .pst files. from there I imported into outlook express for the mail, and another program for the contacts. I'll just copy my "notes" into a word document. So, my old information is safe, and of course I'll never use Outlook again anyway, so I don't care so much that it won't run on my main computer.

My problem now, is that hotmail is crashing as soon as I try to type out a reply. First time, it waited till I was done with a long reply.... since then, it is crashing quickly whenever I even begin a reply. It will let me forward messeges so far.

Could this be part of the same problem? The error messege is essentially the same, "Internet explorer has errors. an error log is being generated." Is this some freakish Windows mail problem underlying the operating system?

Also, I tried to reinstall my windows 2000 operating system, and it immediately came up with an error. How afraid should that make me? How stupid was it for me to try doing that anyway?

Btw, I tried repairing and then reinstalling Outlook, to no avail.

Damn the JW's for not giving me a good enough computer education!!! (that was for comf

• Gig
    Gig

I wish I could help you...my only comment is that you are not alone with your Outlook Express problems, it's verifiably a bad system...which I know doesn't help you. If this is just a personal account then you might consider switching to another e-mail account. Your friends will understand, especially your JW friends, they're good at following. (For the record, my post had JW in it too)

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I recently had this problem, after installing Kazaa, for downloading music.
    I closed the Kazaa icon, from the System Tray (bottom right), and it stopped crashing.

You may find that you've got some piece of software that is conflicting with your browser and email client. Stop that, and it'll probably work again.

Another option is to download the latest patches for Internet Explorer. There have been a few, recently, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that one or the other of them makes systems unstable. It's a common problem, usually fixed by the next release.

Hope this helps...

• Valis
    Valis

Hey sixie...some questions that might help you solve your issues..

Do you have up to date antivirus software? If not your answer might be an easy one...

When you reinstalled Outlook did you uninstall it first? Give this a while...just back up your profile folder first...then again your profile files might be the issue at hand..for Outlook anyway.

If IE is acting up a couplethings might be going on...you could have hard drive issues realted to your browser cache and how much disk space you have left on your hard drive. Also the obvious scandisk and defrag may be in order.

How many other programs do you have running at the same time and how much memory do you have? Might be time to go and spend 50 bucks orless and get more. Nothing like getting a bigger stick huh sixie? eheheh

You also might want to update your browser if all else fails...but I'm thinking this is either a memory, virus, or disk space issue. If

Internet Explorer 6

Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (Includes Internet Explorer 6)

Click here for the latest Outlook update as well..

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=f20a2e4b-e458-48f0-b0cb-7e73c0bb4884&DisplayLang=en

Hope this helps.....don't make me come over to the house and fix it myself!

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• bigboi
    bigboi

Dude I have friend that is having the EXACT same prob. She has a Dell system running Windows XP Home. The folks at Dell are replacing her hard drive today I think. That may be the only way to deal with this.

• Xander
    Xander

What I was going to say. That you've listed three things you've done (Outlook, email, installing Windows) that give you errors makes me think one of two things:

1) Bad virus (BAD! BAD Virus!! Go to your room!!)

2) Going bad hard disk or - more likely - flaky RAM

• SLOAN
    SLOAN

I'm soo sorry I can't help; I'm not a geek!!!!!!!!!!

• Solace
    Solace

Had a similar prob Six, it wasnt a virus.

Im not a computer geek, so bare with me, k?

We installed a router for our new laptop and my husband lost access to his e-mail account in the process. Strange because mine and my daughters were still working fine.

Anyway, we think what happend was the router, or the new program was installed, put up some kind of firewall, created an error message and denied access to his account.

Try this.

Open Outlook Express, click off the error message, click on tools, click on accounts. (If it shows "POP 3") delete the "3". Click on apply, click ok, then close outlook express.

Hopefully when you reopen outlook express, it will work.

Fuss with it a bit. Since I was pulling this off the top of my head, I may have missed some basic promts, but just go with it.

Good luck.

• b_ster
    b_ster

How about not using Outlook? Try Eudora.... Or just search google.com for "windows mail client"

or search www.download.com or www.tucows.com

Cheers,

b_ster

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Tanks everyone. Now please come fix it Valis.

Edited by - SixofNine on 7 February 2003 21:54:23

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit