Harry Potter ``imbued with Christian morals''?

by Derrick 14 Replies latest jw friends

• dmouse
    dmouse

Harry Potter?

October 15th 2002, page 11. Watchtower

• Xander
    Xander

Ding!

That's what I had in mind (for the first movie, IIRC).

See - they don't mention it by name (of COURSE not!) yet..."No true Christian would deliberately dabble in Satanism or spiritism....some unwittingly let their guard down when it comes to films...and even children's books...anything that is very popular could hide one of his traps"

Gee, I WONDER what they are talking about...

October 15th 2002 Watchtower

USA14 November 2002(premiere
    Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets )
  • nelly1
    nelly1

well after i left i booked harry potter on sky box office, and i dont give a rats ass I watched it, and it was good...

no more harmless than snow white or cinderella or any of those other films i saw in the video libraries of most jehovahs witnesses i knew.

i rest my case.

nelly( who may be blonde but is definately not stupid)

• dobby
    dobby

Harry Potter is the BOMB!! Reading those books was the first thing I did after leaving the Borg last year.

My husband is now a fan and i can't wait for my son to read the books one day.

The books teach wonderful values of loyalty, friendship, courage, hard work, etc. However, I would be very surprised if any JW parent would let their kids read the books just because of the magic theme. They are probably going to spawn their own set of JW urban legend like smurfs and Queen records.

• Derrick
    Derrick

I appreciate the candid and forthright response thus far to what some parents in the organization consider the Harry Potter debacle. The Disney analogy and comparison is quite relevant because it illustrates the manic depressive state of the organization in its love/hate relationship with Disney ideals. For instance one respondent in this topic noted a Circuit Overseer's aversion to Disney and feeling compelled to eliminate their library of Disney video tapes/DVDs to satisfy the Xenophobic nature of the CO and congregation. However, this is in sharp contrast to many parents in my congregation who have expressed an appreciation for the wholesomeness of Disney movies and their timeless themes that provide good moral entertainment for their kids. Every congregation seems to have its own views on what is "allowed" and what is "taboo" it seems.

Also interesting to note is that many Witnesses consider Disneyworld and Disneyland as metaphors for the new world and global paradise that will bring perfect closure to mankind's history of suffering and death. I heard one of the friends exclaim at a District Convention over dinner with a group of the friends, for example, that it's awesome to imagine the entire world becoming like "a global Disneyworld." A sister even opined that unlike Disneyworld everyone would live in the park year round and enjoy permanent free Park Hopper Passes to every continent. The conversation went into overdrive when a young science fiction buff in the group speculated that if Jehovah allowed scientists to build "stargates" to other habitable planets throughout the universe then the possibilities for new Disneylike theme parks would be limitless.

Of course, the Harry Potter films seem to introduce a parallel universe that Harry Potter enters so you'd think they'd love it.

Derrick

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit