What was Columbia's mission?

by Xander 36 Replies latest jw friends

• heathen
    heathen

Xander-- I just looked up ozone layer in the online world book encyclopedia . You are wrong to say there is no such thing. True they did say that the ozone filters out the infra red rays but my comments are based on a compiling of different sources .I do remember hearing the things about heat escaping through the ozone from some scientists. I do admit that the part about the space shuttle being responsible was a theory I've been toying around with for awhile . I don't have any evidence that the space shuttle produces the cfcs that are responsible for the break down of the ozone molecules. NASA has never stated anything on the issue . I just assume they are keeping us in the dark anyway.

• Xander
    Xander

You are wrong to say there is no such thing

Huh?

I never said that?

What I said is that Ozone is O 3 - it's a gas - a type of Oxygen molecule. It exists, among other places, as a layer in our upper atmosphere. Most gasses settle to a specific layer of our atmosphere, and some - like hydrogen and helium gas - are so light they float right out of the atmosphere.

It's not some magical barrier or made of carbon or anything - it's just another layer of the atmosphere. Because of the nature of the molecules it consists of, it's one that is particularly good at blocking certain bands of solar radiation - one of the most significant health risks astronauts have to face (but we don't, because we have an atmosphere of many layers protecting us, see?)

ozone filters out the infra red rays

Well, no, actually, ozone is primarily known for its ability to block out ultraviolet rays (completely other end of the spectrum).

Here is a (decent) site regarding ozone and the ozone hole:

http://www.theozonehole.com/

heat escaping through the ozone

Sorry, but no reputable scientist would ever suggest that. Or rather, would ever imply that 'escaping heat' is a bad thing that lack of ozone is responsible for. Excess heat bleeds off the Earth through all layers of the atmosphere and into space all the time. As a simplified example of this - why do you think it gets so cold on the 'night side' of the planet vs the 'day side'. Now, imagine if the heat acquired during the rotation through the 'day side' didn't bleed off and kept getting piled on from day to day.

I'm sure you can see that a little heat bleeding off into space is not a bad thing (and certainly not something any particular layer of the atmosphere is responsible for 'preventing')

I don't have any evidence that the space shuttle produces the cfcs that are responsible for the break down of the ozone molecules

1) It's not chlorofluorocarbons alone that are responsible for the ozone depletion

2) Do you know what CFCs are? The shuttle doesn't release any.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Terroisim is not that far fetched

No, but sometimes an "R" is needed. The shuttle was at too high an altitude for any land based hand held missle to reach it. Terrorism is a possibility only insofar as sabotage, not in shooting Columbia down.

NASA has given back to society in ways people take for granted. I think one thing it gives us is hope. One day perhaps we humans can reach out to those stars that we've been staring at all these millenia. What might we find? I would hate to see this tragedy kill the space program. If we can't stand to have a bloody lip now and then, perhaps we should stay in bed and pull the sheets over our head.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Amazing with all the coverage of 'what went wrong', etc, no one has bothered to ask what Columbia's mission was.

It's thirty-year mission is to "blow up where no man has blown up before."

Sadly.

Farkel

• dubla
    dubla

xander (and heathen)-

The facts are that the hole in the ozone is getting bigger

That is exactly the only thing you said in your thread that is correct.

actually, that part of heathens thread was also incorrect. the ozone hole is not getting bigger at all, rather quite the opposite, its shrinking....at least from 2001-2002. the shrinkage was mostly due to warmer than normal weather patterns (hmmm, i thought shrinkage came from colder temps?), so its quite possible that it will begin to grow again.

>>> http://www.newschannel7online.com/news/weather/ozone_hole.shtml

>>> http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/09/30/tech/main523785.shtml

>>> http://www.inform.umd.edu/News/Diamondback/archives/2002/11/20/news10.html

aa

Edited by - dubla on 5 February 2003 10:15:14

• heathen
    heathen

Xander--- Thanks for posting that site . Very interesting . Actually it supports my theory more than you think. The fact that colder temperatures produce more ozone depletion is one that stood out . It also talked about the aviation industry playing an important part in damaging the ecology.

dubla-- I suggest you pay the site that xander posted a visit. They clearly said the ozone is getting bigger .

I did try to get the world book encylclopedia page to work as a link or embeded page but couldn't. It had a very good description of how the cfcs are created in the atmosphere. They did mention that the infra red rays are what make the ultra violet rays way more deadly. The ozone is responsible for blocking both.

• dubla
    dubla

heathen-

and i suggest you pay my links a visit as well. it has been PROVEN that the ozone hole SHRANK considerably from 2001-2002. that was my only point, and its right there in black and white (i gave you three different links that all said the same thing).

aa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit