POLL: Where would you start?

by truthseekers2 10 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseekers2
    truthseekers2

My husband's parents are open to a discussion about our doubts as long as we do not offer them anything except information from the NWT and the Watchtower publications. We cannot quote or refer to anything outside of all this.

Hubby and I have felt like we are on information overload. We've gone through a traumatic time with my family. We've been left feeling mentally and emotionally drained. Hubby said the other night in bed, "Who knew it would be so difficult to leave?! We couldn't just make a decision and then move on in life. It's really taking it's toll!" He is right. I can't begin to tell you how we've been feeling. I would imagine it has to be something like PTSD!

Anyway, here we have his family open to a discussion and we haven't been able to muster up any energy or brain-power to write them and begin presenting the issues to them as to why we've left. All the inconsistencies we've witnessed in the Watchtower teachings after we went back and read through all the old literature. We left due to the "new understanding" of the word "generation", the 1975 info, the Beth Sarim stuff, the old light/new light/old light issues on so many things (organ transplants, rape, Sodom and Gomorrah), and the issue of whether the Org claims it's a true prophet or not and the scriptures in Deut.

So, where would you begin? What information do you think might be the smartest place to start in trying to make them begin seeing the TRUTH? I am going to ask, can hubby and I please turn to you for help with all this? We feel so overwhelmed! TIA!

Edited by - truthseekers2 on 3 February 2003 12:22:59

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Picking apart the "lie" is like picking apart a stack of "pick up sticks" without knocking it down (scaring off the person you are talking to).

Deciding which stick to pull out first can be quite difficult.

• email
    email

We cannot quote or refer to anything outside of all this.

That is like them telling you..."get me out of this dark dungeon but please don't use any flashlights or any light of any kind..."

The first thing I think you must do is show them how they can NOT trust EVERYTHING that the WTS publishes. After that is accomplished THEN I would take them to see other reliable sources like newspapers, books, etc...

I would sart by looking up info on http://quotes.jehovahswitnesses.com/ (sorry beans... I knew you would post this anyway )

• JT
    JT

ck your email

• Introspection
    Introspection

There is a big difference between getting someone to see the truth and seeing what is not true. Ultimately, the truth is not to be found in that kind of information - but that's another story.

Of course they're really the same thing, but I'm talking about getting someone to see how this teaching is not true, they have been inconsistent with this, etc. etc. This seems to be the typical approach used by exJWs. That is trying to get someone to see how something is false, seeing that it's just not true. If you want to get someone to see the truth - and I do encourage that one does both - then I say show them both how what they've been thinking is not true AND reinforce that which is true. Since you're dealing with family here, why don't you emphasize the truth about love? Don't do it unless you really feel its true of course, but I'm guessing you do. Also keep in mind that this truth doesn't need a lot of verbal content, most likely much less - or rather it may be implicit in just the way you speak rather than what you talk about. In any case, just want to point this out as I usually do, work from both sides of the coin.

• JT
    JT

ck your email again -

thanks

• Francois
    Francois

email beat me to the punch. There's nothing at this site http://quotes.jehovahswitnesses.com/oral.htm

BUT JW stuff. So they may think they've hog-tied you. But in reality they've done no such thing. Let us know how it goes?

francois

• truthseekers2
    truthseekers2

Thank you so much for your replies so far. Yes! I will certainly let you know how it all goes. :) I am going to work on posting my biography soon. I think you'll find it very enlightening, and for you that still have family and friends trapped in the Org, you may find it hopeful! Do any of you know my Aunt and Uncle in Indianapolis? They have become a huge support to us over the past two weeks. I got in touch with them and now know they have been so instrumental in helping many JW's escape. They attend conventions and have even marched in New York. Don't know if I should give their names on this board, but ah well... First initials are F (him) & B (her) and the last name is Singleton. If I understood her correctly, some of you may have even been guests in their home (Randy Watters for one). Anyway, I'm more closely linked to ya'll than I realized! :) I am becoming less and less afraid (remember my scaredyetresolved screename at first?!), so I'll be coming out more and more over the next couple weeks.

Keep sending the suggestions on how to help hubby's parents. I called him and let him know I posted and what the replies have been so far. We can't thank you enough for your help!

Edited by - truthseekers2 on 3 February 2003 13:31:44

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Introspect, had a good point and that is, "...why don't you emphasize the truth about love..." This is a good suggestion because the witnesses constantly stress love, yet, they fail to pratice it. This is a positive quality and it is sadly lacking, why? Cite/give examples. Then again, your in better position to know how to handle the situation. I'll leave it at that.

Guest 77

• hooberus
    hooberus

My husband's parents are open to a discussion about our doubts as long as we do not offer them anything except information from the NWT and the Watchtower publications. We cannot quote or refer to anything outside of all this. Here is a little morsel from both!!!

"The wild beast that you saw was, but is not, and yet is about to ascend out of the abyss, and it is to go off into destruction. And when they see how the wild beast was, but is not, and yet will be present, those who dwell on the earth will wonder admiringly, but their names have not been written upon the scroll of life from the foundation of the world." Revelation 17:8 NWT

"We cannot but admire the high principles embodied in the proposed League of Nations, formulated undoubtedly by those who have no knowledge of the great plan of God. This fact makes all the more wonderful the ideals which they express. For instance, it has been made plain by President Wilson and the advocates of his ideas that the proposed League of Nations is more than merely a league to enforce peace. They would not have us consider it to exclusively from the standpoint of politics or of military relations. It should be considered as fully from the economic and social points of view. The President's idea seems to be that the League of Nations which he proposes would stand for world service rather than mere world regulation in the military sense, and that the very smallest of nations shall be participants in its every arrangement. In other words, his idea undoubtedly is that the league shall not be established merely for the purpose of promoting peace by threat or coercion; but that its purpose, when put into operation, will be to make all nations of earth one great family, working together for the common benefit in all the avenues of national life. Truly this is idealistic, and approximates in a small way that which God has foretold that he will bring about after this great time of trouble." Watch Tower February 15, 1919 p.51 reprints page 6389

Comments: The Watchtower loves to quote the beliefs of other religious organizations regarding the Leage of Nations. The Revelation (1988) Book quotes from several church's their endorsement of the ideals of the League. However as seen by comparing the above Watchtower quote to Revelation 17:8 the watchtower actually is closer to the exact words of Revelartion: ("wonder"- "wonderful")("admiringly"-"admire") than the other organizations which they condemn!!!!!

Edited by - hooberus on 3 February 2003 19:40:13

Edited by - hooberus on 3 February 2003 19:41:14

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit