Last Days? Are you serious ....?

by Aleph 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Aleph
  • Zoos
    Zoos

That's IT! I'm returning to the governing body for salvation!

[Now where did I put my credit card?]

• cofty
    cofty
    The numbers take no regard for what they represent as a percentage of earth's population. We live in the safest, most equitable and peaceful generation in all of human history. If you disagree please tell us what time you would prefer to live in. I wonder how much history you have actually read. Please get a copy of "The Better Angels of our Nature" by Steven Pinker" and consider the more than 800 pages of objective evidence.
  • SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass

Perhaps they would prefer to go back to the 1800's and drive a wagon. They could do fun things like get lost in the desert and die, get caught in a blizzard and die, cross a not frozen enough lake and die, run into bandits and die. So much fun don't you think?

• Splash
    Splash

SecretSlaveClass you also forgot 'get a small cut, get it infected and die', or 'have appendicitis or gall bladder problems and die', or 'drink dirty water and die'.

• blondie
    blondie
    Christians have been believing there are in the last days since the first century.
  • Heaven
    Heaven
    Exactly how long is the definition of 'last days'?
  • Bonsai
    Bonsai

I was debating this issue with a friend, who is still in, but partially awake. He said that there has never been a time like now, where humans have the technology to wipe themselves off the planet. In fact, humans have built enough bombs to destroy the planet itself. He believes the last days began when the atomic bomb was born. There really wasn't much I could say for a rebuttal. He had a good point.

I don't believe in there being any "last days" in the biblical sense, but I can tell you that having NK, China and Russia for neighbors doesn't make me feel safe. Living in a country that was nuked twice and had a nuclear reactor leak from a tsunami doesn't make me feel like this is the safest time in the history of humanity. I haven't read Stephen Pinker's book yet, but I wonder how he feels about nuclear weapons and chemical/biological/drone warfare technology.

• Magnum
    Magnum

I'm reasonable and open-minded, and my conclusion is that the video should be totally inadmissible in an analysis of whether our days are worse than previous time periods. It merely shows clips of random events and does no analysis of numbers, frequencies, etc. (I only watched through 7:23 out of 16:44, so maybe that's done later in the video.)

In the last few years, I watched documentaries on the middle ages and the little ice age. It seems that life during those times was basically about just surviving. It was a dark, gray (figuratively and literally) time. The average life span was extremely short. Many (most?) infants didn't survive. Justice was also nonexistent. There was no real police force or justice system. Call the sheriff because your wife is being raped and chances are that he'll come out and finish the job if she's good-looking. People were boiled in oil and all kinds of torture devices were dreamed up and tested.

There were no (or very few) analgesics or anesthetics, no antibiotics. Tooth problems would cause unimaginable misery. Life was brutal.

I think it's ignorant and short-sighted to say these are the worst times in history. I had rather be alive now than at any other time in history.

• Magnum
    Magnum
    Bonsai, I have wondered about that - the fact that humans now have the ability to virtually wipe out their (and many other) species. That, to me, is the best argument for those who believe these are the last days.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit