She is a different person since accepting Jesus . . .

by compound complex 21 Replies latest jw friends

• stillin
    stillin
    I mentioned once to a Witness that I had some respect for some fundie-Christian contractors that refused to work on a day-care center, based on their understanding of scripture. He looked at me like ," are you out of your mind?" And I said "they're letting their faith affect their everyday lives. That's what we do, right?" But since this particular thing hadn't ever been mentioned in the Watchtower, he just drew a blank.
  • FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

Stillin...yes it's funny. I was always particularly disturbed by Mormon teachings. 'They're so crazy and sexist' etc etc...I think it was a way of deflecting some of the feelings I had for my own birth religion, but wasn't free to express.

And witnesses, they think every fringe religion is crazy but their own. 'Oh my gosh, christian scientists!! Not going to the doctor!!! Extremist!! Amish!!!Get with modern times!!! Mormons!! How can they possibly believe a canoe of Israelities sailed across the ocean?? Don't even get us started about scientologists!! L. Ron Hubbard made that religion up!! What a cult!!' Lol.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

stillin:

"I mentioned once to a Witness that I had some respect for some fundie-Christian contractors that refused to work on a day-care center, based on their understanding of scripture."

Just out of curiosity what was the reason they refused to build the daycare center?

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    Vi I think it's maybe something to do with 'protecting the family unit,' that mothers should stay home and take care of their children full time.
  • fukitol
    fukitol
    I don't understand why she just isn't sacked from her job. But putting her in prison - WTF? Only in America. Black is white and white is black these days.
  • stillin
    stillin

VI, Faye got it right. There's a scripture that reads that women should be "workers at home."

i also held respect for the anti-abortion people. They would go and get dragged off by the police for what they believed. A couple of jerks decide to bomb a clinic or kill a doctor and, in the Witnesses' minds, the whole thing is a bunch of crazies.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

"She is a different person since accepting Jesus..."

Would that be the "judge-not-lest-ye-be-judged" Jesus, or some kind of bizarre "mirror-universe-where-he's-kind-of-an-asshole" Jesus?

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I think she is a different person since accepting Jesus. She has become a self righteous hater of anyone who doesn't dress like her sharecropper husband. Did you get a load of that guy on CNN? Now here are three people that Jesus must be very proud of.

• Perry
    Perry

I have never heard it said among newbie JWs that they had accepted Jesus into their hearts and lives. I simply cannot conceive that would ever be said.

Would the JW equivalent be that an individual, upon learning and accepting THE TRUTH, has made a personal dedication to Jehovah and begun putting on the new personality?

No, Jesus offers the free gift of salvation. It can only be received (believed), not earned. The two paradigms are opposites. Since Calvary, working for your salvation is offensive to God. It is only when a person comes to the end of his or herself that they are prepared to accept the terms of the New Covenant... which offensive to our carnal nature.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, Vidiot, Wasa, and Perry, for your comments.

Perry: Your explanation is an example of how many Christians believe. As a Jehovah's Witness, I would never have had that concept of Jesus and what he offers. Thank you for helping me to see things from a different perspective.

CC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit