She is a different person since accepting Jesus . . .

by compound complex 21 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

This morning, I was working at a home where the TV had been left on. I listened in but didn't watch, for the most part. Ms. Davis was flanked by her lawyer and another gentleman. One of the men stated that Ms. Davis willingly accepted jail time for her beliefs; she has become a different person since having accepted Jesus some three or four years ago.

I have never heard it said among newbie JWs that they had accepted Jesus into their hearts and lives. I simply cannot conceive that would ever be said.

Would the JW equivalent be that an individual, upon learning and accepting THE TRUTH, has made a personal dedication to Jehovah and begun putting on the new personality?

Strange how each religion or grouping of similar faiths has its distinctive jargon and identifying marks.

Your thoughts are welcome.

Thanks!

CC

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

"Strange how each religion or grouping of similar faiths has its distinctive jargon and identifying marks."

Differences in beliefs will create different jargon to state their differing ideas. Even if two groups are identical to each other they may evolve different phrases for the same thing due to their isolation from each other. That would be equivalent to genetic drift where one species develops different genes from her sister species in another continent.

As you Co co are well aware, language is fluid and changes within time and region. Example, British and American English.

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome

compound complex yes, in my day it would be putting on the new personality. However, you omitted a word in the other part about making a personal dedication to Jehovah. Today it would be making a personal dedication to Jehovah's organization.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

I have said and felt the same thing as ms. Davis, and a personal transformation. However it's unfortunate her Christianity had taken on such a fundamentalist stance and intolerance. I suspect it is influenced by her choice of church and what is believed to be 'right' in her community. She has the wrong job if she can't do it according to the law and her conscience.

I do not believe same sex marriage is wrong. Anyone who wants to get married should be able to, and I would certainly have issued that license.

i think witnesses never use that lingo, because they aren't really Christian. They are a cult of Jehovah and 'his organization.'

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, Village Idiot, SafeAtHome, and FayeDunaway:

Your comments are appreciated and have helped me see even more clearly into what was once a faith dear to me. Thank you, too, Village Idiot, for putting that fine point on the fluidity of language.

The spokesman for Ms. Davis repeated, reiterated, and said again that she had accepted Jesus. Really now, what does that mean (rhetorical question)?

Speaking of evolution and change, my baptism is different from that of younger family members: remember the good old-time religion when one was baptized in the name of the Father, the son, and the holy spirit?!?!? Are we even part of the same religion (or, formerly so)? Younger ones have become JWs in association with Jehovah's spirit-directed

Many thanks.

CC

• compound complex
    compound complex

. . . organization.

I give up trying to edit my posts. Something always goes wrong, or remains

CC

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass
    If she reckons she's changed for the better I'd hate to know what a biggot she was at her worst.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

CC: "I give up trying to edit my posts. Something always goes wrong, or remains"

Coco, you have to remember that the edit function has an exasperating quirk. If you open edit for the second time it goes back to the first pre-edited entry.

Just copy the post you first made and when you go into the edit function eliminate the text and paste what you copied. Then you can make your changes.

I know, it sounds confusing even to me.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

"The spokesman for Ms. Davis repeated, reiterated, and said again that she had accepted Jesus. Really now, what does that mean (rhetorical question)?"

It means that she doesn't consider other Christians to be real Christians. These fundies have a saying amongst themselves: "The right kind of Christian".

• compound complex
    compound complex

A point well made, SecretSlaveClass! Thanks.

Thank you, Village Idiot, for both the editing advice and the comment about who REALLY is a Christian. You're rather smart for one so named . . .

As a copy/content editor, I wonder sometimes if hardcopy is, in the main, easier. Fortunately, however, my three computers, in tandem, allow relatively trouble-free work when I'm on a job. Well, so far, after a lot of initial hair-pulling-invective-shouting persuasion vis-a-vis these infernal boxes. Maybe, then, it's only this forum that's quirky!

I want to insert a happy face emoticon, but the page is rent in twain . . . what a cyber world, what a cyber world!

THANKS!

CC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit