Looking to the FDS for Salvation

by jgnat 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jgnat
    jgnat

Isaiah's Prophecy - Light for All Mankind II Chapter 11, page 164, p. 22

To look to men for salvation is the height of folly.

So the Faithful and Discreet Slave class, admittedly imperfect men, would be included in this statement. Isaiahs prophecy explains why: "Look! All you who are igniting a fire, making sparks light up, walk in the light of your fire, and amid the sparks you have set ablaze. From my hand you will certainly come to have this: In sheer pain you will lie down." (Isaiah 50:11) It is painful, isn't it, for the FDS to have set themselves up as the sole mouthpiece for Jehovah in these last days, only to find themselves facing painfully human humiliation (and painfully expensive lawsuits) in the light of the scandals on how brave survivors of sexual abuse are treated within the society. "Judge not, that ye may not be judged; for with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged; and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you." (Matthew 7:1-2 ASV) Human leaders come and go. A charismatic individual may capture the imagination of the people for a while. But even the most sincere human is limited in what he can accomplish. I imagine Billy Grahams lifetime accomplishment can be written off as a mere spark, huh? Instead of lighting a roaring fire, as his supporters expect, he may succeed only in igniting a few "sparks," which give off a small measure of light and that but soon die out . ...such as the 1975 non-event? Yes, the FDS leadership was lulled in to silence by the encouraging growth figures of the WTS leading up to 1975. Did they own up to their error afterwards? How does Jehovah judge those who do not humbly repent of their error? On the other hand, those who put their trust in Shiloh, God's promised Messiah, will never be disappointed. Amen to that! Three hurrahs for independent bible study!

22. Why is it the height of folly to look to men for salvation?

Note:
    Mr. Graham has preached the Gospel to more people in live audiences than anyone else in history -- over 210 million people in more than 185 countries and territories -- through various meetings, including Mission World and Global Mission. Hundreds of millions more have been reached through television, video, film and webcasts. Since the 1949 Los Angeles mission vaulted Mr. Graham into the public eye, he has led hundreds of thousands of individuals to make personal decisions to live for Christ, which is the main thrust of his ministry.

Red is direct quote, bolding is mine

Edited by - jgnat on 2 February 2003 21:42:47

• Warrigal
    Warrigal

Thanks jgnat for posting that. Just wanted to add that Billy Graham has reached more people with his message by going on TV than the JWs do preaching from door to door.

I know it'll never happen, but can you imagine the FDS in an hour-long TV program telling folks about the marvels of the new world society. Wouldn't it be fun if they let viewers call in and ask questions?

Warrigal (who knows why that'll never happen)

• jgnat
    jgnat

hahahaha Warrigal. An hour would put everybody to sleep. I think 15 second commercials would be smarter. They could then introduce the weird stuff slowly without people noticing. A call-in program. Now that would be priceless. I think the Apostates would jam the phone lines as soon as it came on the air.

...unless it was a highly controlled pre-screened call-in program...

I better stop giving them ideas.

• TR
    TR

I really don't think that the WTS wants a high profile of their work. They are satisfied with secretly prying loose adherents to suck dry, low profile style. If they REALLY wanted the attention to their work, they certainly have the money to produce an hour long infomercial.

But now, especially with all the WTS sponsored mayhem going on in the news these days, surely it behooves them to keep their corporate asses shut as to avoid any adverse publicity.

TR

• jgnat
    jgnat

Early on I was puzzled by the ineffective evangelism techniques used by the WTS. "Cold Calls", door-to-door work is not known for its efficiency. A lot of hours for low return. Otherwise, a lot more people would become vaccum-cleaner salesmen. Also, the WTS has not kept up with the times (multi-media, music, etc. etc.).

I figure they were in trouble as soon as the membership passed 144,000. After that, did they really want to invite more in to their exclusive club? The society still has an air of exclusivity about it. Do they really do not want to share the promise of future blessings with the great "unwashed"?

I figure slow growth is preferred, so that current members can feel appropriately martyred, confirming the "us-and-them" mindset, and the profit-making machine can be kept humming.

• justhuman
    justhuman

can you imagine after 15 years from now what excuse will the WT have for the anointed class???Since the doors closed in 1935 no should be alive...

• jgnat
    jgnat

My prediction is they are going to tell their followers that they are living in paradise right now. That the heavenly rulership has started, only it is "invisible". Only the paradise is figurative and spiritual rather than literal. "Aren't we all joyful about Jehovah's provisions, brothers and sisters?"

• heathen
    heathen

jgnat- I find it hard to sit thru one of Billy Grahms TV spots.He is just one of those mainstream ear tickelers .IMO He lives the life of luxury like all the rest of the hypcrites.

edited to add --- jgnat - the WT has been saying that for quite some time now. They believe they live in a spiritual paradise and that God is ruling in their lives invisably. Only the WT receives direct spiritual direction from God .

Edited by - heathen on 3 February 2003 16:34:0

• jgnat
    jgnat

heathen, Billy Graham is the only evangelist I can listen to. My point is, with his record, it is hard to characterize him as a "spark" with no lasting impact.

...and about paradise right now, all I am suggesting is they can manage to justify the non-existence of the anointed on earth by simply extending their "invisible presence" idea a little further. I understand the 144,000 anointed go to heaven to co-rule with Christ. All the WTS has to say is, "All right, they are all up there now. Don't you notice the lovely heavenly co-rulership we are enjoying now?...oops. Did we say Armageddon would be here by now? I am sure you are simply mistaken. Keep up with the new light!"

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello jgnat,

a good post indeed.

I've liked TR comment:

"I really don't think that the WTS wants a high profile of their work.

They are satisfied with secretly prying loose adherents to suck

dry, low profile style."

It's true, already the Internet, the so called "apostate", "dissident"

etc. have unveiled quite a lot about the past - nonsense prophecies

and all the other everchanging present -doctrines/ideas/views

that they, the mighty WTBS Inc. (corporations) don't want to risk

more of their vast multibillions dollars Empire.

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit