Pioneering---Did It Make A Difference In Your Life

by minimus 27 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Many of us pioneered. Some here pioneered as "vacation", "temporary", "auxillary", "regular" or even "special" roles. Nearly EVERYONE was EXPECTED to pioneer, if you were to stay in the good graces of the congregation. During the month of April, 100% participation in the pioneer work was "encouraged" by the brothers. When the CO came to town, all servants were expected to auxillary for the month. The value of pioneering has been extolled in every publication of the Society. Every Circuit or District assembly has parts geared to making you feel the need and desire to take up the pioneering life. It is encouraged as a "career". And the benefits are supposed to be out of this world.... What were your experiences in performing this life-saving work? Did pioneering make a difference in your life?

• HoChiMin
    HoChiMin

What were your experiences in performing this life-saving work? Did pioneering make a difference in your life?

Never pioneered, never wanted to, always felt it was a waste of time. I would play the role by having the "pioneer spirit", remember that term? The only difference it made in my life was more imposed guilt.

HCM

• LDH
    LDH

Why, Minimus, I'm glad you asked!!! Let me count the ways in which pioneering made a difference in my life!

1. It allowed me the privilege of driving a junky 1979 Chevy Nova for three long years! (you didn't really think pioneers could afford new cars, did you?!?!?)
    2. It allowed me the privilege of being reminded every day that women are not as good as men. (You didn't think a woman could lead the service group, or make up the car groups, did you?!?!?!?)
    3. It allowed me the privilege of spending fine quality time with such spiritual hypocrites as Ken and Debby McCarthy, who never missed a chance to remind me that I was not as spiritual as I should have been! (You didn't think all 17 year old regular pioneers were spiritual giants, too, did you?!?!?)
    4. It allowed me, after a period of three years, to run into a high school friend named Nancy Jordan and give her a fine witness! Yes, this gorgeous blonde who was a scant six months from completing her BSN and advised me she was going to get her Master's (whatever *that* was) was given a fine witness by none other than myself and my sister. We proceeded to tell her how close the end of the world was and how much we were enjoying our time as MISSIONARIES in our own town!!!!

Ahh yes, the memories of my pioneer days.

About the only positive thing I can say for it--I got to spend about three years with my sister. Many times we drove right by the Kingdumb hall parking lot. We went on our own.

What a waste of time.

Lisa

90+ hours Class

• Tulsi Das
    Tulsi Das

The difference it made? When auxillary pioneering it helped me realize that the purpose of the exercise was simply to accumulate "numbers" (hours, placements, RV's). It truly was about keeping busy on the Society's treadmill. The thought of actually helping people in the territory or "advancing Kingdom Interests" was the last thing on my or anyone elses mind. At the end of the month, after spending 60 hours in field service I had little to show for it other than bigger numbers and being really tired.

The only enjoyment I or anyone else seemed to get from it was the social aspect - riding around in the car group, getting to know the "friends" better, trying to get our quota of time in. There is also the recognition factor - having your name read from the stage at the beginning of the month, being interviewed during service meeting parts afterward, the higher visibility among the congregation during that month.

When I hear about ones "pioneering" now, I simply cringe at how (IMHO) they've chosen to waste their time. They think they are doing God's will, advancing Kingdom Interests, earning salvation, whatever. They are simply running in place on that treadmill.

• JH
    JH

I was an aux.pioneer two or three times a year, whenever I could. We had about 25 regular pioneers in our congregation.

It was fun then, because we felt that we were actually saving the world. The end was so close then. We were actually living in the time of the end. Were were seperating sheep from goats. Well, that's what we were told we were doing.

We were all living a lie, all together in the same dream, of seeing the end and being saved.

Today, the same congregation has about 5 regular pioneers. I guess that the urgency is gone. We would go out in the field service all day from (8am to 4pm). Then we didn't want to miss the (4-7pm). And why not finish off the day going in the service in the evening from (7-9). We were fools. Half of these pioneers are DF'd today. What they gave is worthless now.

We were good employees for the Watchtower Publishing company.

• Tulsi Das
    Tulsi Das

The difference it made? When auxillary pioneering it helped me realize that the purpose of the exercise was simply to accumulate "numbers" (hours, placements, RV's). It truly was about keeping busy on the Society's treadmill. The thought of actually helping people in the territory or "advancing Kingdom Interests" was the last thing on my or anyone elses mind. At the end of the month, after spending 60 hours in field service I had little to show for it other than bigger numbers and being really tired.

The only enjoyment I or anyone else seemed to get from it was the social aspect - riding around in the car group, getting to know the "friends" better, trying to get our quota of time in. There is also the recognition factor - having your name read from the stage at the beginning of the month, being interviewed during service meeting parts afterward, the higher visibility among the congregation during that month.

When I hear about ones "pioneering" now, I simply cringe at how (IMHO) they've chosen to waste their time. They think they are doing God's will, advancing Kingdom Interests, earning salvation, whatever. They are simply running in place on that treadmill.

• Mulan
    Mulan

It definitely made a difference in my life. By the end of my second year, I was totally disillusioned. It was such a complete waste of my time, and I realized I really should be home, fixing decent meals for my husband and son..............maybe even being home when my son got home from school (he was 12-15 when I pioneered), so I quit in my third year.

Now, I also cringe when I hear someone is pioneering. Mom proudly announced at dinner recently, that her first Bible student (from over 50 years ago) had two grandchildren who had started pioneering. I don't think I gave the response she expected,,,,,,,,,,,or maybe I did. I said "what a waste of a promising young life..............why don't they go to school, and do something meaningful, rather than driving around all day, knocking on not at homes?"

• justhuman
    justhuman

I was regular pioneer for 6 years. A real waste of time...NOTHING that I was preaching at the years1990-1996 it is been preached now...the generation its gone, the sheep of the goats are not separate of our preaching any more...

SO CAN ANY ONE TELL ME WHAT THE F_ _ _K I WAS PREACHING ALL THIS YEARS

• minimus
    minimus

JUSTHUMAN asks a very important question. Could anyone please answer it???

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

Yes, it taught me the value of doing something totally foreign to every instinct in my being. Such as setting aside every real important task that an 18 - 20 year old male should be doing i.e. going to college, serving his country in the military and trying to sleep with every available female walking the face of the earth. Pioneering stunted my masculine maturity by at least 5 years. So did it make a difference in my life? Combine the pioneering with just over two years at Bethel and you have a complete waste of three of the most important normal developmental years available to a young man. Am I pissed? No, it's too late.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit