Black History Month 2003

by sableindian 90 Replies latest forum announcements

• jst_me
    jst_me

You know, black history is US history, and it is a SHAME that there have to be any months set aside for specific races in order to teach us about ALL of this (the US) nation's history.

Read up on white privilege. Educating people about that is the way to bring the country together.

• back2dafront
    back2dafront

I think it's fair to have a black history month. Blacks are a minority in this country and have come a long way in fighting for their rights and freedom as fellow human beings. Don't see anything wrong with having a black history month.

Nothing wrong w/ St. Patricks Day either. There should be some kind of recognition for the Native Americans too.

Hell, give all nationalities a day, I wouldn't care - history is something all should learn.

Animal, if whites were a minority in Asia and fought long hard years to be recognized as fellow human beings and not slaves, would you be asking where the Asian history month was?

Doubt it.

• Beans
    Beans

I think there should be Hispanic month in Texas and Cubanic month in Florida and how about a Redneck month and a Hoser month for us Canadians.

We cannot forget how much the Watchtower loves the coloured bretheren as well.

Beans

• sableindian
  • animal
    animal

Since you already answered the question, Back, I wont bother.

I took most of the comments as meant, tongue in cheek. I am not a bigot, there are as many assholes out there that are white as any other color or race. Life has taught me to trust, or distrust, people based on merit, not skin color.

Question: Why is there no White Caucus in Washington DC?

Animal
    ps.. I know the answer.

• D8TA
    D8TA
    Three words for ya, Einstein....tongue-in-cheek.

When did labeling stereotypical behavior due to one's color of skin become "tongue-in-cheek"?

Ah I get. I see you want an understanding. Well, okay...your rules:

How many white women have you raped this week, while selling crack, juggeling 3 ho's in your white caddy, while eating a tub of buttery grits? I mean black folk do this, right?

I mean after all, these questions are "tongue-in-cheek".

How about saying, "My bad, I messed up...I was stereotyping people due to their skin color"? Kind works better then..say..."tongue-in-cheek", doesn't it?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

What's wrong with you people? "that Negroponte", c'mon, at least give me a chuckle, lol.

• bigboi
    bigboi
    When did labeling stereotypical behavior due to one's color of skin become "tongue-in-cheek"?

As soon as I posted to this thread.

How many white women have you raped this week, while selling crack, juggeling 3 ho's in your white caddy, while eating a tub of buttery grits? I mean black folk do this, right?

I hate grits and I don't own a Cadillac.

mean after all, these questions are "tongue-in-cheek".

Not to mention assinine, stupid and betraying a total lack of insight. Much like your nit-picking posts here.

How about saying, "My bad, I messed up...I was stereotyping people due to their skin color"? Kind works better then..say..."tongue-in-cheek", doesn't it?

You know what, if I had meant Animal or white folks in general any harm I would. I really would.

What is really getting me right now is that my post and Animal's both showed about the same level of insensitivity, and ignorance. I say this mainly because they both oversimplified an issue and showed no insight whatsoever into the reality of the way things are. Maybe, just maybe that has to do with the fact that both of them were said in jest?

I'll tell ya what though. I will say that I'm sorry you are so sensitive in regards to matters of race. Let's just say I met cha halfway.

• animal
    animal

Na... I dont think I was either insensitivite or ignorant. I was sincerly asking a question that no one yet has answered.

When the Black Caucus was made, it was with the rule that there would NOT also be a White Caucus. Making one would be illegal, period.

I have never given an opinion on race or race relations. Many will assume lots, from my questions or lack of comments. That isnt on me, but on the assumer.

We lend lots of time on here to bigotry, without incident. Not the racial kind, but the nationalistic kind... ie anti-USA stuff. I see little or no difference.

Animal

• jst_me
    jst_me

I answered your question. There is no white caucus because whites control everything.

Policy, education, what we are told about history, how we are to act if we are "civilized", all of that has been determined in North America for the past 300 years by whites.

There is a black caucus to bring another point of view to the table. To represent all the people who are not like you.

You do not realize that you have that privilige because of the privilege itself. You have an racially social advantage if your skin is white. You see your likeness reflected back on tv, in the movies, in magazines in books, and never think twice about it. Not so for other races. You think every American shares the experiences that you do, and that is not the case. You can move anywhere in the country that you choose (if you have the money), and that is not true for everyone. You don't have to worry that your neighbors will dislike or distrust you for the color of your skin. When your kid reads a history book in school, you do not have to deal with the emotional impact of dealing with hate words, such as savage, infidel, or squaw. You don't have to deconstruct the historical lies that American children are taught about the beginnings of this country (had to do this tonight with my 16 year old and it HURTS!). You can be successful, without people thinking you are such a good role model for other (insert ethnicity/race). Noone thinks you got into school or got your job thru affirmative action instead of high grades/work.

Anyway, what I am getting at is that there is white caucus in Washington. There is very little representation for those of us in a racially socially disadvantaged state.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit