A Techno-phobe seeks advice.

by Phizzy 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Hi all,

this may seem simple to all you young folks(under 50) out there, but this old fart is just wondering, how much can people see on Facebook in the way of comments, if you have privacy up and running so that, I thought, only those you have friended can see what you comment ?

I am not overly bothered, but it occurs to me that since in recent times I have been more active on FB, my outspoken comments against the JW Scam may be visible to those who are not actually "friends" ???

I am just wondering if I should expect (as in Monty Python) the Spanish Inquisition ?

• stan livedeath
  • FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

Facebook is an exJW minefield.

Things can get through to people you don't want them to get through to. However, make sure you go to your privacy settings and choose who can see what. There are things you can do to TRY to keep things from getting seen by the wrong people. But if you are on facebook and living a normal life, that picture of you at someone's birthday party may be seen by some witness somewhere. It's a small world. The 7 degrees of Kevin Bacon and all that. After a few incriminating instances and lots of people unfriending me, I decided to not freak out (tho I'm still cautious.) Like the old adage, the people who matter accept you the way you are. The people who don't dont matter. But as an ex witness it's not always as simple as that. Be careful on FB.

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

Don't forget that even if people don't directly see your comments, those that can may always take a screen cap of what you wrote.

Basically, when you post on FB, you have to assume the entire world can see it.

• Simon
    Simon

Facebook is terrible for privacy - they constantly change the settings and suddenly you are sharing things you never intended to.

Remember: they make their money off your information so they have a vested interest in exposing it.

I'would never recommend FB for any exJW who isn't comfortable with everyone knowing that they are an exJW.

With the internet in general, I think you are best assuming "everyone will see this" and then deciding whether you still want to share it.

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

Phizzy, I have been posting ex-JW stuff on Facebook for four years. My privacy setting is Friends of Friends, and I haven't been outed yet. One thing I did was to BLOCK every JW I knew. They are wiley-- using maiden names, no photos, using work town instead of hometown, etc. Systematically BLOCK them all!

I'm on Facebook for my kids and grandson. Live your life. Just be "cautious as a serpent" as they say.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

Simon's right, they constantly change the privacy settings, and everything goes back to their default (and very open) mode every time they do!! Obviously Facebook doesn't understand what it's like to try to leave a cult! They have this dreamy 'people should be open about their lives' mentality which is just not practical for EVERYONE in the world.

Seriously, if you are going to post stuff, be willing to face what may happen. Sometimes that's liberating, but it's scary beforehand and during.

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy
    Thanks for asking this phizzy, and thanks for the answers folks, I was wondering the same thing....
  • stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i run 3 facebook accounts.

my real --private one is strictly for family and personal friends only--i mean--people i know well in real life. even then my settings are that only i can see these friends--no one else can.

my ex jw site is stan livedeath--and i have 100's of internet friends on it. all visible to each other. so--be aware of that if you befriend me.

my 3rd is a private one i set up to chat to my partner-----but annoyingly the FB phone messenger facility only works with a/c one.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thanks for the answers everybody, it is as I feared, F.B is full of holes.

But really I don't mind any of my comments that i have made so far resulting in some action or other by the JW's. I have been careful to only say what is true, though much of what I say is damning to the Org.

Should they try anything, then FB and the Media will come alight with what I Post and Publish.

I think the JW Org had better let this guy get away with posting what he likes.

Having said that, I would not be the least surprised to see the guys of the Spanish Inquisition (Elders), as above in Stan's Post, turn up on my doorstep someday. Bring it on !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit