Peshitta, Aramaic New Testament

by Connie 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• smiddy
    smiddy

Connie ,

Stop wasting your time trying to figure out ancient writings , of either the Hebrew scriptures ( O.T. ) or the Christian Greek Scriptures ( NT ) When its all boiled down it is nothing more than human interpretation .

Instead think about this .

GOD , by whatever definition or name you want to call him , is the ALMIGHTY , all knowing , pre history , present history , and future history .

We are living in the 21st Century : We can communicate with anybody in the world in a matter of seconds with the technology available today .

So where is GOD today , is he so far backward that he can not keep up with technology ?

Why is he still wanting people to rely on ancient writings which are open to interpretation even in this day ?

Why did he communicate in the first Century , but not after ? What changed ?

And why was he so racist as to single out Jews for salvation to the exclusion of other nations around them .? Favouring the Jews and exterminating nations around them ?

Doesn`t anybody ever think that the ALMIGHTY GOD can use modern day technology / communication to convey to the world of mankind , what he expects of them ?

And the fact that he hasn`t done this suggests he is a figment of the imagination of those who want to believe in an all knowing GOD.

smiddy

• Connie
    Connie

Thanks Smiddy,

Sometimes I do feel like it is a waste of time. In fact a JW once questioned my motives about this line of research instead of answering my questions. I do believe Almighty God is still communicating today. In prayer before the Blessed Sacrament I often have quiet moments when I really feel I am being comforted. I also have had very clear feelings come over me after receiving Communion when I am in silent prayer, once directing me to consult my priest. There have also been modern day messages communicated through Mary, such as at Fatima and the present day she is appearing to visionaries in Medjugorje. I also am aware of the messages given to Saint Faustina, from our Lord, which are available to us in The Diary of Saint Faustina. I continue to research many aspects of my faith and although it may seem to bring me to many dead ends, I certainly have a better understanding of the Bible because of my studies. Thanks again for your comments.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Worth reminding people that Christianity was here for hundreds of years before the new testament was compiled. Jesus started HIS church on the apostles and THEY decided what was to be promoted and what was not.

The last verification of the cannon of scriptures happened around 393ad. The cannon followed what the Christians already knew through the words that the apostles. The WORDS spoken is how Christianity was spread, not through the written word which came later.

Jesus said that no one knows the name of the Father except those whom HE tells.

just saying

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Fatima? Are you kidding me? It's an hoax from 1917 that can be exposed by reading the Catholic Church's own documentation. Read "Fátima nunca mais" and the recent "Fátima S.A." ( in portuguese ) by catholic priest Mário de Oliveira and you will be thoroughly convinced of the abhorrent fraud that was perpetrated in 1917 and continues to be perpetuated.

Eden

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Science has proven that if you put a magnite on the front of your head feelings and beliefs about God go away. Spirituality, God, is a man made concept.
  • Connie
    Connie
    Thanks for the comments TTWSYF, it is true that the Bible was produced as we now know it much later. Thus we have oral tradition much as the Jewish teachings were given orally, then later written. I am keenly interested in the Early Christian times and guess that is why have started looking into the Peshitta. It really started with textual criticism research and I accidently stumbled on this. I even spoke with a Rabbi concerning the verbal use of the Divine Name and whether it had ceased to be spoken as of the Babylonian exile. Ultimately my research is leading me in a direction to prove to myself if the Divine Name has a place in the New Testament other than in the locations where it is a direct quotation from the Old Testament. In the name of Jesus every knee should bow and that is really where I am headed now, I see Jesus as the one we look to for salvation, whether he was given the name above all names YHWH, I feel helps to show a JW that their beliefs are in error as their text is corrupt and biased.
  • Connie
    Connie
    Thanks EdenOne I will look into Mario de Oliveira. I am probably one of the biggest skeptics, really, so I appreciate the information. I also researched Lourdes and found it quite remarkable that the visionaries body has not corrupted. I am still journeying, but find it very interesting especially the monthly apparition in Medjugorje. I guess my comments directed to Smiddy were more to show my belief that God is still working through people today. Maybe not in a big way, but when we get the inner nudge to do a good deed, I think we should follow that, and not miss the opportunity to let God work through us. I think that was the message, do good to others as you would have done to you. Love God with all your heart and love your neighbour.
  • Connie
    Connie

Hey Crazyguy, is that why the name, Crazyguy?

I never heard about the magnet (magnite?)before, maybe I could get by without my faith, but I went down that road for ten years, without belief in God, and it has been a long journey back. I have seen too many coincidences in my life now that science would have no explanation for, little things that have caused me to believe. So I keep plugging away with my studies. Praise the Lord. I am a Christian and love God.

You made me smile today,

Thanks.:)

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Eden one- If I may, the Catholic Church does not like these Mary sightings. They deny every instance of any supernatural apparition until it gets to the point that they can no longer deny it. The Christian faith is set and has been since the apostles started the church some 2000 years ago. Fatima (in Portugal) , like Lordes (in France) had so much evidence as a real supernatural event that the Church HAD to accept it.

Fatima in particular had over 60,000 witnesses. Not just Catholic brain washed minions, but lots of skeptics and doubters looking to discredit the children involved and the Church too. The kids involved announced that God would give proof to the crowd on Oct13th. Tens of thousands arrived...thousands to discredit, yet every single person declared the same experience. Some as far as 20 miles away. More likely something supernatural happened there than a big hoax. At least according to those 60k witnesses.

just saying...cause I looked it up too

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

The so-called "miracle of the sun" has been the subject of brazen hype of the highest degree from the Catholic authorities that were interested in promoting the supernatural nature of what might have happened in Fátima.

"there are many factors that prevent us drawing the simple conclusion that a divinely-inspired miracle took place. Firstly, there were many representatives of the press present at the Cova, both journalists and photographers. There are many photographs of the crowd witnessing the vision; but in spite of the presence of cameras there is no photograph of the event that is even vaguely authentic... What were the photographers doing? How could anyone miss a scoop like that? Secondly, it is clear that only a proportion of the crowd, probably less than half, actually witnessed the miracle... Thirdly, the accounts of the miracle, of the 'dance of the sun,' are simply not consistent... these contradictions must raise some doubts as to the objective nature of what was seen." (Pg. 78-79, The Evidence for Visions of the Virgin Mary, Kevin McClure, Aquarian Press, Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, 1985).

Also the Catholic church claims there were 70.000 people present, but even the contemporary pro-Catholic newspaper "O Sèculo" from the following day mentions only 30.000.

Also, the Catholic church LIES when it claims that the miracle was witnessed and attested by a portuguese scientist. In fact it was witnessed by the son of a portuguese scientist, who was an attorney, not a scientist.

Besides, less than half of the present people actually saw anything, and those who claim they saw "something" cannot agree on what exactly they were seeing. Distortion, momentarily blindness can be caused by staring straight at the sun; peculiar athmospheric conditions may cause strange momentary effects of the sunlight; all these combined with credulity, religious fervour and hysteria (people wanted to validate what the children claimed to have seen and they have been prepped to expect a great miracle) did the rest.

A close look at the crowd from the pictures taken during the "miracle" shows many completely oblivious to anything happening in the sky, while the faces of the others who look up reveal not awe, shock, or religious ecstasy, but an intrigued expression, consistent with what you would do when you attempt to stare directly at the sun. Also, pictures taken of the sky during the "miracle" reveal nothing special going on.

The Church report was only written post WW2, therefore 4 decades after the events took place. Hardly the most objective and well-documented account, especially given the fact that there was only one living witness of the original visions (Lucia) who was known for having delusional inarticulate ramblings that are more consistent with schizophrenia than a genuine revelation.

Eden

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit