• Rado Vleugel
    Rado Vleugel

Mandela Sharply Criticises Bush and Blair on Iraq Stance

allAfrica.com

January 30, 2003
    Posted to the web January 30, 2003

Ofeibea Quist-Arcton
    Johannesburg

Former South African president and Nobel peace prize laureate, Nelson Mandela, has strongly criticised the American leader, George W Bush, calling him arrogant and shortsighted. Mandela also hinted that the US president was behaving like a racist in his determination to go to war with Iraq.

Addressing an international womens forum in Johannesburg on Thursday, Mandela uttered his most outspoken remarks about Bush to date, asking, "Why is the United States behaving so arrogantly?"

South Africas revered elder statesman added: "What I am condemning is that one power, with a president who has no foresight, who cannot think properly, is now wanting to plunge the world into a holocaust."

Mandelas strong anti-Bush language coincided with a letter sent to Washington and drafted by eight European countries backing Bushs stance on matters concerning the Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein.

Iraq is currently being inspected for weapons of mass destruction by a team from the United Nations, which issued a generally unfavourable interim report this week. The weapons inspectors announced Monday that they required more time to determine whether Iraq indeed possesses such weapons.

Commenting on Mandela's outburst, White House spokesman Ari Fleischer said: "The president (Bush) expresses his gratitude to the many leaders of Europe who obviously feel differently... He understands there are going to be people who are more comfortable doing nothing about a growing menace that could turn into a holocaust," said Fleischer.

However Mandela rebuked Iraq for not cooperating fully with the weapons inspectors. He announced that South Africa would support any measures taken against Iraq by the UN.

Mandela implied in his remarks about Bush, which were also critical of British prime minister Tony Blair, that American policy on Iraq was motivated more by financial than human rights concerns. "All that [the U.S.] wants is Iraqi oil," Mandela said.

Blair, he added, was simply "the foreign minister of the United States. He is no longer prime minister of Britain."

President Bush insists the U.S. would be justified in taking on President Saddam militarily, even if the UN does not authorise an attack.

France and Germany are among a number of countries publicly opposed to Bushs policy on Iraq. The American leader has indicated that he would like to set a deadline for the Iraqis to demonstrate they have disarmed.

"Who are they to pretend that they are the policemen of the world, the ones that should decide for the people of Iraq what should be done with their government and their leadership?" asked Mandela, accusing Bush of "trying to bring about carnage".

Mandela took issue with both Bush and Blair who he said were disregarding the authority of the UN and undermining its African secretary-general, Kofi Annan, who comes from Ghana. Mandela became personal in his accusations and launched a verbal attack on the two men, asking: "Is it because the secretary-general of the United Nations is now a black man? They never did that when secretary-generals were white."

Africas best known statesman said the UN was the chief reason why a third world war had been avoided and urged that any decisions on Iraq should be dealt with by the UN. Mandela has been consistently critical of Bushs handling of the Iraqi question over recent months, a view widely mirrored in other parts of Africa among leaders, politicians and ordinary people.

Mandelas comments also echo the official view from South Africa. His successor, President Thabo Mbeki, said this week: "We do not believe there is anything that has been said which says there is a need to go to war [with Iraq]". Mbeki is scheduled to meet Blair this weekend, just after the British prime minister has finished a summit with Bush at Camp David on Friday.

Analysts in South Africa predict that another conflict in the Gulf would mean a hike in domestic oil prices and other economic consequences. Similar concern is being expressed in the columns of newspapers in several African countries.

BTW I have great respect for Nelson Mandela! And I hope that Bush and Blair will listen to this old and wise man.
    Rado Vleugel
    http://www.watchtowerinformationservice.org/
  • Perry
    Perry

Mandela took issue with both Bush and Blair who he said were disregarding the authority of the UN and undermining its African secretary-general, Kofi Annan, who comes from Ghana. Mandela became personal in his accusations and launched a verbal attack on the two men, asking: "Is it because the secretary-general of the United Nations is now a black man? They never did that when secretary-generals were white."

I'd like to think that Mandelas racist comments refect his advanced age rather than his real sentiments.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

This was brought to me attention early this morning by a local political activist. Thanks for the printed form.

Guest 77

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

Well, Bush is arrogant and shortsighted so that isn't really anything new but I think Mandela is still off base with these remarks. I wouldn't put too much stock into anything Mandela says. He only has the job because he was a political prisoner. His country is in complete shambles and he's only managed to turn South Africa into a shithole.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Finally a world leader that has some sense. I also hope that Blair and Bush take his advise.

Will

• Grunt
    Grunt

Like many people Mandela finds it easier to be critical of the USA than to do anything with any real integrity. Like help his neighbor, Zimbabwe. They are trucking immigrants back to repression and starvation every day while accusing US of bad motives in Iraq? What a joke.
    The USA will not keep the oil fields of Iraq. It will try to prevent the profits from those fields being spent to poison or blow up our people. We will not make a profit on this war, our boys that are over there will not get rich. They will make the place a better place to live and they will help get rid of people that want to kill us or at least keep they them dodging.

Meanwhile we will continue to send food and money to Africa. Even if the fat leaders refuse it to their starving people.

For anyone to condemn the USA while 7,000,000 in Zimbabwe alone are facing famine due to a black racist president, would be amusing if not so sad. While I hope many lives are saved by my tax dollars being used to fight AIDS in Africa, I can't help but wish they were being spent on people who wouldn't then be starved or enslaved by other Africans. Or used to buy private jets for their leaders.
    If Mr. Mandela would do more to help the blacks starving next door I would listen more carefully to his two-faced political mouthings. As for our aid to fight AIDS in places where they deny so much about AIDS, I would like to see the money spent on zero energy homes for Americans, especially poor Americans which we have too many of.

Grunt

• foreword
    foreword

yeah yeah yeah, haven't you figured out that all that talk in the state of the union adress is only that "talk", especially the AIDS propaganda. Show me the money!

Mandela was right on the money, and besides, the US was really the first nation to use WMD cause they were the only ones to have them. Now that others have them, they're trying to stop them from playing with their toys. Total hypocrits.

• Grunt
    Grunt

Foreword,
    The U.S. wasn't the first to have WMD if you consider germ warfare and chemical warfare to be WMD. As for the money being just talk, I don't know if your country is giving anything, but the US gives plenty every year to a lot of people. If you are going to try and say they don't then you are just blowing more smoke and lies.
    If you really want to talk about mass murder or point the finger at someone guilty killing innocents, check out Jordan, or Zimbabwe. See how many those countries killed of their own people. It might do you some good to read a little history. I know of no country that doesn't have a blemish in their history whether it is the Sepoy Mutiny or Norway's treatment of gypsies and native peoples. What we have to do is try and learn and improve, try to help, not hurt. That doesn't rule out self-defense. Killing people who have issued "fatwas" calling for your death and destruction and the people who give them the means to try and accomplish it comes under self-defense.

Grunt

• foreword
    foreword

Well,

First, I am from the US, and as you can see I don't support them.

Second, the US doesn't give money to help...they buy (with strings attached).

Right now, the whole world (practically) is against us for our motives to do war...oil...

and pretty soon, as a result of not minding our own business and trying to buy with the prospect of control, the ones we pissed off (cause we had no business there) will actually bring the war on this continent.

And quite frankly, I'm afraid of the prospects of that. The ennemy is right here, right now, and are waiting for the first bombs to go off in Iraq just so they can claim self defense.

They are not stupid, I don't support either side, but it's not gonna be pretty.

Why do you think that Saddam is ready all of a sudden to let the inspectors in? His arsenal is not there anymore. His son said that 9-11 will look like a picnic, why? Cause the arsenal is right here in the US. And I have a hard time to believe that our supposedly intelligent leaders have not figured that one out.

Man, it's gonna hurt

• Perry
    Perry

Second, the US doesn't give money to help...they buy (with strings attached).

A totally unfounded statement.

Right now, the whole world (practically) is against us for our motives to do war...oil...

Another false statement. 15 of the 19 members of NATO are with us. France and Germany have been selling WMD technology to IRAQ. The paper trail will really embarass them, and already is.

and pretty soon, as a result of not minding our own business and trying to buy with the prospect of control, the ones we pissed off (cause we had no business there) will actually bring the war on this continent.

Man, I just don't understand your thinking. Tell the relatives of the 3000 killed on 911 that the war wasn't brought to us. It is already here.

And quite frankly, I'm afraid of the prospects of that. The ennemy is right here, right now, and are waiting for the first bombs to go off in Iraq just so they can claim self defense.

That is just total non-sense. We are being bombed already. Trusting in Saddam is not a very good strategy for our nation.

They are not stupid, I don't support either side, but it's not gonna be pretty.

Again where have you ben living. It already is not pretty. It soundds like you don't care how many Americans die as long as you are not one of them.

Why do you think that Saddam is ready all of a sudden to let the inspectors in? His arsenal is not there anymore. His son said that 9-11 will look like a picnic, why? Cause the arsenal is right here in the US. And I have a hard time to believe that our supposedly intelligent leaders have not figured that one out.

That is just pure unfounded phobic rhetoric. But, let's say it is true. When do you think it would be a good idea to start the war against terrorists and the totalatarian regimes that support them. After they get stronger and more organized?

Man, it's gonna hurt

It already does.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit