Other Religious Denominations

by Plato 12 Replies latest jw friends

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Hi again Plato - since my last post I have become intensely curious about you choice of web identity.

It is most unusual for a JW to admit to any admiration for a Greek philosopher. But that's not what I'm curious about.

I'm curious as to how you reconcile, the idea of a pure strand of truth (isolated into the Judeao-Christian storyline), uncontaminated by Satan's world, and the reality that after the first century, early christian converts were soon incorporating Plato's thinking into developing Christianity?

Or, am I asking something too close to the bone (as the English saying goes).

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Plato, stop wasting your time with Christianity, it’s mostly an evolution of older religious ideas mostly from Egypt but also Mesopotamia, Greece and Persia. The Bible it ripe with older stolen stories from Mesopotamia, Greece and Egypt.

Maybe if you study religion from India or something you’ll find a better idea of spirituality.

• arover
    arover

I found southern baptists in my area to not be dogmatic, not crazy in their belief system, not intervening in my personal conscience and my life, and giving me the space to be myself. That said, my best advise is to sample many places and find one that feels right to you.

It took us a while to find a place, but we have a small group and really enjoy it. It's filling a void that I have.

My main reason: my kids. I think tradition, charity, community and values play an important role in raising good citizens, and I want to expose my kids to the good it can offer while keeping them safe.

Micah 6:8 "he has told you what he wants, and this is all it is: to be fair, just, merciful, and to walk humbly with your God."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit