Today's JWs

by jws 14 Replies latest jw friends

• jws
    jws

So I posted earlier in the year that one of my son's friends is a JW. He can never do anything on Wednesdays because it's a meeting night. Same for Sunday early afternoons. So it sounds like he's active.

This year, in 7th grade, they can start football. My son reports that his JW friend is on the football team.

Is this allowed now?

Going into high school in the 80's, the coach wanted me to join. My parents wouldn't let me. For one, they heard about injuries and thought my brain and my health were more important. Second, they didn't allow it due to JW reasons. I'd be participating in sports and we all know bodily training is beneficial for little. And I'd be unevenly yoked with unbelievers. And of course, the practice and games might interfere with meeting nights, god forbid.

In a way, I'm glad I didn't join. The more I would have played the more the risk of injury. I see ex players (even just at the high school level) that have lifelong injuries and pros that amble along. My career is programming. I need my brain. And not to mention the association, which probably was bad. More a bunch of macho idiots in a lot of cases. The higher you go, the more gets handed to you without having to earn it. Like passing grades, women, etc. You can begin to feel entitled.

But beside that, is there some new attitude towards sports teams? Back when I was a JW, "suggestions" against something were like a written law. "A good christian might want to consider" means don't do it.

I let my son join. Hopefully he'll decide not to continue and due to his nature, I don't think he will. But I typically let him at least try new things so that he doesn't have regrets. And it's a lot of exercise which he could probably use as well.

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

I don't believe is common but at the same time is not unheard of. I think today is not necessarily flat out prohibited, but sure the father would not advance as quick in the congregation if their children are doing things that are frowned upon.

My brother in law is an exemplary christian in almost every aspect of the JW lexicon. He has been so for many years. I wish I could spill some details but the guy is bullet proof. Such lifestyle has cost him dearly in many aspects of his life. Yet they would not even make him a ministerial servant because his older son is very quite and unsocial with the brothers. The son had no spiritual goals or demonstrated any desire to do anything. He had the hardest time even getting him to participate in the ministry school. However, as soon as the kid turned 18, he was off the hook from his damnation and they made him a MS within 6 months of his son turning 18. Something similar could happen to a father who's children are not following WT advice to the letter.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    Back when I was a JW, "suggestions" against something were like a written law.

It depends on the family and the congregation. If your parents are hard-liners then this is still the case. If they're more social JWs (and especially if the father is either not appointed, or not in the picture) then the kids are more likely to be allowed to do after-school activities. If a kid is doing this sort of thing and seeking any privileges or maybe just if they talk to the wrong person, they or their parents are likely to get a talking to from the elders discouraging it.

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass
    Hmm I knew plenty JWs that played rugby with me in high school, so I'm not sure about that.
  • ToesUp
    ToesUp

This is a good question. I think the answer to the question has a lot to do with WHO you are!

If Daddy is a "spiritual man"....i.e. Daddy does enough tasks in the Congregation! We watched several families allow their children to participate in all kinds of extracurricular activities in school. As long as everything "looks good." You know...the kids go out in service and get the national average in. Maybe even pioneer once a year. We have watched these little spiritual princes and princesses shine on the Convention stage during an interview asking how they maintained their integrity while at school. In the meantime, these cutey pies are applying to college, playing sports at school and performing in the marching band. What a hypocritical lot these people are!

When we were growing up we had the "School Brochure". We were not allowed to attend college, play sports or be involved in any extracurricular activities.

My how times have changed!

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass

Toes:

Possibly. Our eigth man's dad was an elder and the scrum half on the "B" team had a dad who was an elder. Not too sure of the others though.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

ANY extra-curricular activities were forbidden was I was growing up. (I'm 36) Here are the end-all, be-all buzzkill reasons that would squash any such forbidden thoughts of kid participation:

- Bad Association

- Spirit of competitiveness (from Satan)

- Worldly Association

- Risk of injury

- Promotes boasting and a feeling of pride (can't have that!)

- Brings undue attention to yourself, instead of Jah's Organization

- Bad association spoils useful habits! (Gag me with a spoon!)

- Did I mention the worldly people?

- That is time that could be spent saving lives in the "Field Ministry".

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

I have a friend who was an elder and I shared a little bit of ttatt with him sometime back. I found out he stepped down from being an elder and is letting all his kids join all the sports. He still believes "Some of it" is the truth, like the paradise earth, but now feels "Most of it" is baloney.

So it depends on the individual. Is he a 98% jw or a 19% jw. Big difference on what you "WILL" do or not do.

• out4good4
    out4good4
    That is time that could be spent saving lives in the "Field Ministry".

This is the gnaw the keep coming back to me whenever it is mentioned.

I remember back when I was drowning in debt, with no insurance, and my kid was beginning middle school, with me trying to make ends meet with basically a burger flipping job.....

When I decided that I needed to educate myself so that I could make a better living, I had no less than three pairs of elders at my wife's behest in my home over the course of a couple of months trying to sell me this line of bullshit.

Arrrrrrgggghhhh!!!!!!!

• goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

when i was studying and made the biggest mistake of my life...i was told it was a personal decision.

Both our boys do MMA competition and wrestling. i never encourage football because out of the two sports i feel football is more dangerous.

i have played both sports on competition level and have first hand exerience to make this judgement.

but, to each his own

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit