Half Way Done

by LB 4 Replies latest social physical

• LB
    LB

My boys highschool basketball team just completed the first half of their season. We beat every school so far and we play them all again in the second half. The pressure is really on right now. Everyone knows we're good and they are all up for us. Saturday night we beat the other undefeated team on their court.

The final goal is state championships. I'm lucky in that the 12 boys on the team are very equal in ability so we are very deep. I move them in and out as fast as we can. They also are most likely the most fit of all the teams we play. We do a fast break game and can normally run the other team to death in the first half.

This may be my last season though. The pressure is amazing. I can lay awake all night long thinking about this stuff. I'll be doing plays in my mind, working on different drills to keep it interesting and thinking about what to say to certain players to better motivate them. Some guys need a little confidence boost, others need an ass chewing.

Ok, I have to get back to the video to review the team we're playing friday night. They are very tough and it was a close game last time we played. We are on their court this time. Have to make a couple of changes so they won't know what hit them.

• Makena1
    Makena1

LB - very impressive! Congratulations and best wishes for a continued undefeated season.

Warm regards,

Mak

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

LB- sorry I missed this- god this board moves fast !!

It's great to see your team going all the way here !!! Those small town teams are great with the entire community rallying around them.

I have a visual of you on the sidelines !! Please be sure to take lots of photos to post !!!

Good Luck - Kick some butt!!!

XW

• LB
    LB

Thanks. I haven't got a single photo of me coaching yet. But my wife has a zillion videos of me marching up and down usually looking like I'm about to pop a gasket.

Tonight I pulled a couple of strings and got several current and ex college players to come up and scrimage. We turned on the scoreboard and kept track. These guys are big, fast and shoot the lights out. At first it started to get away from my boys but they lifted themselves to the competition. It was a great workout. Final score at the end of regulation was highschool kids 84, college guys 87. Those college guys were totally impressed at the fitness and skill level of these kids. They want to come back once a week to help out.

I told the college guys that I wanted my big guys hammered underneath the hoop. That I wouldn't call them for fouls if they manhandled my kids. They did a great job of it too and enjoyed every minute.

I'm really pumped right now. We had some mental lapses but they are very tough and ready to win it all. I doubt I'll sleep a minute tonight.

• ITguy
    ITguy

LB, I had no idea you were a hoops coach. Sounds like a good one, too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit