The time my Jehovah's Witness mom ripped my rock band photos and poster

by RULES & REGULATIONS 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ WingCommander

And they expected you to stay in “The Truth”.

😵‍💫

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Did your parents or you as a parent, do anything that showed your self-righteous disapproval?

I wasn't allowed to have David Bowie LPs because of his ahem, 'appearance' and the word in the Jobots was that he was a homo.

I was even told not to have Donovan LPs.

Of course I had both, just hidden in the sleeves of other artists. I knew my parents wouldn't recognise Bowie or Donavan when played.

As far as Led Zeppelin are concerned, I managed to ensconce a poster on my wall in a position that wasn't really looked at.

I listened to what I wanted despite the Jobots!

• truthlover123
    truthlover123

I remember buying aa book for my child and ripping out the pages dealing with dinosaurs and later not allowing him certain music, which of course, was not a problem for the adults, CCR, EAGLES, MJ, hippie drug era and of course disco.... Donna Summer, Bee Gees Ohh the good times!!

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

The som of the Presiding Overser in my congratulation when I was still in, was a big rock fan. He did a Metallica performance at a school concert. His parents did not object. The som is om and an elder today.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Haha - I had something similar happen to me. I was listening to a cassette of music that someone worldly gave me. My father ripped it out of the cassette player and threw it out. He was yelling that he didin't want anything worldly in his house. When I think about that incident, I feel so sorry for my younger me who only wanted to listen to some music and it wasn't even Led Zepplin :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit