Gehena?

by ClassAvenger 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ClassAvenger
    ClassAvenger

I am a christian and yes, I've seen the word Hades in the bible. I do not believe though, that Christian theology developed from a combination of Greek. I checked in a dictionary for the definition of Hades and besides giving me the god of the underworld, and the netherworld kingdom, it also defines it as another term for hell. I believe in hell, yet I do not see why the word "hell" should be replaced with Gehena. I've seen many different translations of the bible, yet I have only seen the word Gehena in the New World Translation. I do believe in hell, but I havent heard the reason why JWs dont believe in it. One of my JW friends told me God was too good to put someone into eternal torture. In my opinion, they only see God's loving side but forget about his side of justice. Wat do you all think?

• onacruse
    onacruse

ClassAvenger:

On Matthew 10:28--

American Standard: And be not afraid of them that kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him who is able to destroy both soul and body in {1} hell. {1) Gr Gehenna}

New American Standard: Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather {A} fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in {1} {B} hell. {1) Gr Gehenna}

Rotherham: And be not in fear, by reason of them that are killing the body,and, the soul, are not able to kill. But fear, rather, him who is able, both soul and body, to destroy in gehenna!

Weymouth: And do not fear those who kill the body, but cannot kill the soul; but rather fear him who is able to destroy both soul and body in Gehenna.

Young: And be not afraid of those killing the body, and are not able to kill the soul, but fear rather Him who is able both soul and body to destroy in gehenna.

Moffatt: Have no fear of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul: rather fear Him who can destroy both soul and body in Gehenna.

New American Bible: Do not fear those who deprive the body of life but cannot destroy the soul. Rather, fear him who can destroy both body and soul in Gehenna.

My belief: I don't believe in hell (other than as a description of non-existence), and I refuse to worship a God who would create such a place for any of His creatures.

Your thoughts?

Craig

• ClassAvenger
    ClassAvenger

My thoughts are that hell exists. I can't understand how people can't believe God will punish you. There is no real base foundation on this belief. I am not seeing this from a close minded point of view but I have not been presented with a big argument as to why I shouldn't believe in hell.

• onacruse
    onacruse

ClassAvenger: I look forward to discussing this with you, but the CBC program that aired tonight:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=45650&site=3

has rather got my attention. May we continue this discussion over the next couple of days?

Craig

• ClassAvenger
    ClassAvenger

Ok. What about heaven? When Jesus was in the cross he said the following to the man next to him which believed in him:

"And Jesus said unto him: Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise." - St. Luke 23:43

I believe that when we all die we go to heaven or paradise, i know the JWs think differently. What is you all's point of view?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit