Strange utterances of C T Russell

by refiners fire 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• larc
    larc

Refiner's Fire, thank you for these quotes as examples of Russell's goofiness. Rutherford was just as goofy. RF, if you have them could you post the following quotes from Rutherford, Government, 1928, p 226, The Harp of God, 1921 p. 16 and p. 238. If not, I will post with my commentary on this idiocy. I think I will go ahead and do one of these. In an adverstisement for the book Vindication I, it was written that Rutherford as "the world's foremost Bible scholar." This is remarkable, if true, since he had no formal education in Biblical Scholarship. For some of his conclusions a Biblical scholar is not needed to help the reader decide if Rutherfored is correct. In some cases, an average layman can easily draw a conclusion. For example, Rutherford cites Job 38:35 to support a conclusion. Before I tell you his conclusion, let me describe the thirty-fourth and thirty fifth verses. In this chapter in the book of Job, God is telling Job, in no uncertain terms of God's power and majesty, and asked Job if he can do the things that God can. In the two verses in question, he says: "Canst thou lift up thy voice to the clouds, that abundance of water may cover thee? Canst thou send lightnings, that they may go, and say unto thee, Here we are?" I think this is a very poetic way for God to ask Job if he can make it rain and if he can produce lightning. What do you think? Here is Rutherford's interpretation on the sentence about lightning. "It is since 1918 that the Lord has brought into action the radio which he foretold more than three thousand years ago. (Government, 1928, p. 226.) I find this interpreation to be preposterous. (From a 150 page rough draft I wrote in 1996)

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

HOOB..

Im cutting and pasting from here with regard to Russell stuff and WTs prior to 1917...

http://www.agsconsulting.com/htdbnon/indexz.htm

LARC unfortunately Im not aware of any site where I can plunder Rutherford WTs or Rutherford books from. Which is a shame, Cause if i could, thered be some laughs.....

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

could you post the following quotes from Rutherford, Government, 1928, p 226, The Harp of God, 1921 p. 16 and p. 238. If not, I will post with my commentary on this idiocy....

LARC. I wish I could. But I dont have the gear except (maybe) some of it in hard copy (photocopies). You go ahead and do it man, I will read it for sure. Did I tell you my little hypothesis about all this absurd JW obsession with everything in the OT being re fullfilled in the time of the end?? Well, I was wondering if its some kind of throwback to Parallelism. The parallels were pretty big in Russells day, and I just wonder if the Type/ Antitype thing so esteemed by the modern org is a reflection of the parallels. Ive never seen a church so obsessed with type/ antitype as the dubs are

• larc
    larc

Hwy RF. don't worry about a thing. I put up one example of Rutherford's foolishness, and I have several more to go.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Quoting Larc (sort of):

TYPE..."Canst thou lift up thy voice to the clouds, that abundance of water may cover thee? Canst thou send lightnings, that they may go, and say unto thee, Here we are?"

Here is Rutherford's interpretation on the sentence about lightning....

ANTITYPE..."It is since 1918 that the Lord has brought into action the radio which he foretold more than three thousand years ago. (Government, 1928, p. 226.) "

You gotta love that stuff dont you? Any dub reading one of those books...well, youd think it would rock his/ her head a bit wouldnt you?

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Edited by - refiners fire on 30 January 2003 3:47:17

• Prisca
    Prisca

Larc,

What difference is there between the 1921 edition of The Harp of God, and the 1926 edition? Because I have the 1926 edition here at home.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Whoever made that preceeding post, stop screwing around and posting under my name.....

oh.

I should have known. (lol Pris)

Edited by - refiners fire on 30 January 2003 3:52:10

• Prisca
    Prisca

RF, it was your secretary that mistakenly posted under your name

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Yes, Im sure. Well being as incompetent as I am (computerologically speaking) I cant afford to let you go. I need you to fix up all the technical screw ups I make in my posts where Im cutting and pasting. (Plus fixing up my glitchy poster pics which behave very strangely at times)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit