Reading Older Publications Can Be Hazardous

by blondie 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Jacqueline
    Jacqueline

Their 99 WT cd has all Watchtower publications...clear back to 1950. Pretty hard for them to get the info back now that hey have distributed all this info via cd. Also they have nearly almost every book, KM, publication written since 1950 on the same cd.

• blondie
    blondie

Sorry, Beans, I forgot that wonderful site. I use it a lot. I was having a senior moment.

http://Quotes.JehovahsWitnesses.com

Soledad

, I thought they had the gall to put it in in the first place.

Warrigal

, I have heard unsubstantiated rumors that the WTS did have old copies of the Studies in the Scriptures turned back in Rutherfords time. But then others say they were on the literature list into the 50s. I have heard that the book "The Way to Paradise" was treated the same way. That is another publication that puts forth 1925 as when Armageddon would come. The best thing to do is put them in the KH library where no one bothers to look at them.
    Knorr, telling us not to keep Watchtower and Awake magazines older that eight years.

Belbab

, he was probably just pushing publishers to get bound volumes which were big ticket items back them and kept the presses rolling during the slow times. Or he was worried about the lack of space at the Gilead homes if all the missionaries had the WTS and Awakes back to the dawn of creation.

Kenneson

, the life at Bethel was and is like being on another planet, hey, even another universe. I always took anything I heard unofficially (not through the publications) with a grain of salt.

Ash

, it is one of those circular things, "If you think it is the true religion, why are you investigating it? If you think it isnt the true religion, then why are you investigating it?"

RF

, I stumbled to the fact that it was back when I was checking my favorites to see if they were still viable. Yes, I enjoy using that link too although I have most of the older publications, except "The Way to Paradise." I have a relative who has willed it to me, otherwise I have to ante up $200 to $300.

Reporter

, that would be an interesting study project for me. To see what has changed over the last 8 years.

Nickey

, you might be thinking of this. Was that in 1989? Thanks to Quotes for this.

*** Watchtower 1989 January 1 p.12 "The Hand of Jehovah Was With Them" ***
    [Note: not available on 1993/1995/1999 CD-ROM]
    [as originally published in Watchtower magazine]

The apostle Paul was spearheading the Christian missionary activity. He was also laying a foundation for a work that would be completed in our 20th century.

[Emphasis Added]

*** Watchtower 1989 January 1 p.12 "The Hand of Jehovah Was With Them" ***
    [as it appears on Watchtower bound volumes & CD-ROMs]

The apostle Paul was spearheading the Christian missionary activity. He was also laying a foundation for a work that would be completed in our day.

[Emphasis Added]

Jacqueline

, the publications that are missing are interesting. The Divine Purpose book which the Proclaimers book replaced has some interesting comments and flipflops from that books accounts. The book that started the 1975 phenomenon in 1966,

Life Everlasting-In Freedom of the Sons of God (Book) is not there although older books like the Your Will Be Done Book (1958) is in there and the Awakes from 1950-1970. One of the Awakes in the 1960s is especially derogatory about women.

Blondie

• Nickey
    Nickey

That just might be it Blondie.

Being that I was younger and still thought I was in the "Truth" at the time, it never occured to me that they were trying to hide something. Nobody stepped up and openly questioned it.

We were asked to throw away various publications at one point. I believe they asked us to do that on two different occasions. Saying our "enemies" could use something against us that was written in the publications.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Blondie, and many others on here: How true this is.

I do recall comments made from the podium, way back, about not delving too deeply into past publications.

The wonderful thing is, and I guess I am stating the obvious: The existence of this board, and the internet in general.

The information sharing, and exposing of WTBTS gobbledegook.

Former JWs, and those that are still connected to the Borg., can now share their 'truth' with others seeking, honest answers, and confirmation of their 'questions' or 'doubts'.

I remember studying an old publication that someone gave me (mistakenly) and I found it fascinating (then), and I would often be confused, but thought I was misinterpreting the WTBTS publication. I was no biblical genius or scholar, but just a regular average Joe trying to put together the pieces.

Oh well, I'm out of there now.

But a great topic Blondie, thanks!

• blondie
    blondie

RAYZORBLADE, I am 3rd generation JW so the old publications are in the personal libraries of my mother and aunts and uncles. I read voraciously and quickly so started reading the 1950 WTs. What a hoot.

I can remember trying to find something about "miracle wheat" when someone at the door brought it up. It was carefully concealed. I think the internet forced the publication of the history of JWs by the WTS, the Proclaimers book.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit