The Truth About "New Light"

by Farkel 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• simwitness
    simwitness

And the subtle point about this :

In their subtle admission of wrongness, it seems to me they always framed in as "some have gone ahead and wrongly interpreted (or tried to put a date on)." They NEVER seemed to say "WE were wrong," it was the R&F or unnamed "some

Is that most that accept that fail to recognize where the "some" got the information/proof that allowed them to "wrongly interpet".

Last I checked, the Time/NewsWeek/WashingtonPost// CNN news... (etc) never published predictions of armageddon, resurection of the prophets, or forcasted christ's presence... let alone required everyone to believe them, upon pain of disfellowshipping, shunning, everlasting purgatory... wait, the Witnesses don't believe in hell, so, again, what was the punishment for not believing? Sleep? Quiet, undisturbed sleep?

... i done forgot why i was ever worried about following this cult....

• ashitaka
    ashitaka
    They will die disappointed.

NO kidding. I'm about to go to dinner with a dub, in about five minutes, and all they will talk about is their meaningless JW chores, and not anything that matters. This guy, who is talented, will marry an 18 YO who hasn't experienced anything.

My wife and I married at 18, but then again, our love for each other got us through all of the hard times, and we were fading away from the JWs besides.

*sigh*.....that's the phone ringing, my sister is calling again for us to come over....I really don't want to do this.

ash

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

QUOTE:......Each time New Light(tm) arrives ..... the Watchtower Society is admitting they were wrong on a previous viewpoint/doctrine. Yet, they tout this as a BLESSING from Jehovah, who parsimoniously seems to hold back what he really wants to be believed from his Faithful and Discreet Slave CLASS until they are somehow "ready" to know this or that.....

Well I guess thgats why its called NEW light...rather than MODIFIED light , INCREASED light or light focused into ABSOLUTE CLARITY. But we must all remember, we are all being sifted as wheat looking whether there are any fair weather Chriustians in there who will abandon the Lord when their personal expectations are disappointed, or their personal interpretations and understandings are demonstrtated in conflict with what the Lord says. (currently). The Lord wants absolutely obedient ones who love Him unconditionally like a loyal dog who adores a master who constantly kicks it.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Yes, here we go again.

Recycling the old, reforming it, into a different shape and presenting it back to the followers as 'new light'.

It has to be one of the saddest most tragic observations after leaving the Borg. You can totally see it for what it truly is.

How many people were disfellowshipped for their questioning of some of the WTBTS doctrine? only later to find out, that the 'new light' then, is another discardeded burnt out light bulb.

We are baffled, if not wanting to ring up every CLUE PHONE out there, to call in some sense to some of these people. But, you know, we get it - they don't. Mind controlled, seldom penetrated, turns to mush. The ability to make decisions for oneself, becomes property of another.

I kick myself for ever having been part of that organization. Good thing is, somehow, I was able to break free.

New light? No thanks, I have candles that are far brighter.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

On the subject of light and vision....Russells, THE TIME IS AT HAND.... page 15:

QUOTE:.....We find that the end of the Gospel age, like the end of the Jewish age, is called a harvest ... that like that also, it is a period of forty years; and that upon the harvests of the ages the rays of prophetic testimony are specially concentrated, particularly upon the harvest of this age, where even all the light of the Jewish age--because of its typical character--converges in a glorious focus. In this light we may now distinctly see the stately steppings of our God, not only in the long vista of the ages past, but also in the present outworkings of his plan. And not only so, but according to his promise to show us things to come .... we see, with wonderful distinctness of vision, his wise policy for the blessing of all in the incoming Millennial age--even down to its glorious consummation .....

Meister. What kind of light and clarity is there BEYOND "gloriously focused" and "specially concentrated" light??

• Farkel
    Farkel

RF,

:Meister. What kind of light and clarity is there BEYOND "gloriously focused" and "specially concentrated" light??

Bud Lite. I'll think I need one after reading that crap from Chuck Russell!

Farkel

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

hmmmmm. . .Farkel, do you suppose. . .?

The Holy Spirit(TM) coulda slipped up . . . again?

Just wunderin' . . .

ESTEE

• heathen
    heathen

Been working on some hendrix tunes here lately . The wind cries marry , my favorite line in the song is how the traffic lights turn blue tomorrow and shine their emtiness on my bed . If we substitute new light for traffic light I think we get the idea . It really boggles my mind that the WT never publicly appologizes for the incompetence but carries on like it was supposed to happen that way and you can't blame us . How about a little humility with that . It would go over real big such as when Bill Clinton Appologizes about slavery or when Ron Reagan appologizes about bungling a military operation .

• onacruse
    onacruse

Part of the thrill of "new light" is the demand placed upon JWs to unequivocally accept it, on pain of "death." For example, what was said in 1925 about the new "understanding" of Revelation 12. In the article "Birth of a Nation" the WTS said (bold added):

W 3/1/25 p. 67

What is here stated is not dogmatically stated. Trusting in the Lord for guidance, it is submitted for the prayerful and careful consideration of the anointed ones. If there are readers of the Watch Tower who cannot agree with what is here stated, then it is suggested that such calmly and carefully wait upon the Lord, always keeping a pure heart...It seems to be a safe rule to follow, that prophecy can not be understood by us until it is fulfilled or in the course of fulfillment... It seems quite clear that the last three verses of Revelation, eleventh chapter, are a part of the twelfth chapter. If that be true, then it follows that the twelfth chapter of Revelation, under the rule above stated, could not be understood or appreciated until after 1918; that is to say, until the opening of the temple when the Lord came to his temple. If the prophecy of Revelation twelfth chapter began to have its fulfillment at or immediately after that date, then the temple class should now be able to see some of it and to appreciate it. After careful and prayerful consideration, it seems proper here to call attention to some physical facts which seem to be in fulfillment of the prophecy of the twelfth chapter of Revelation. Probably the Lord wants his anointed to see a little more just now, during a flash of lightning, that they may be encouraged to hold fast to the promises and press on in the fight.

Looks so conciliatory, eh? So humble, so open-minded, so brotherly. But what happened? Some of the R&F took this advice and had their reservations. So Ruthlessford follows up a few months later (bold added):

W 8/15/25 p. 246

It has been suggested by some that the article on the twelfth chapter of Revelation in March first Watch Tower is of private interpretation. But it is not of private interpretation; it is merely applying to the Scriptures long ago written in prophetic phrase the facts as we know them now to exist. The time has come for this scripture to be understood; and the Lord promised his people, the church, to convey an understanding of it, and those who appreciate it rejoice. There are some who have no understanding, as the Psalmist shows, and these the Lord must treat like the horse or the mule. They must be guided by the bridle or held by the bit, since they do not recognize that the Lord is instructing his people and guiding them with his wisdom. Not being anxious to walk with the company of the Lords little ones, such accept what doctrines they may choose to accept and walk according to their own individual wisdom...[Psalm 32:9, 10]...This seems to apply to those who have held high places amongst the brethren, who have been privileged to have the truth, but have misused it.

Some things never change.

Craig

Edited by - onacruse on 25 January 2003 23:26:27

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Reborn

... a simple manner so that even Dubs can understand the hypocrisy and folly of their course of action

Somehow I don't think so. You could show a jw a statement like this - "We jws are the most humble people in the entire world! (WT)", and they would think nothing of it, except to agree.

These people are not simply a little misinformed - they are sick people - very sick indeed, and not even in care, but set upon by criminals.

Many on the board know that you cannot reason with the unreasonable. Subtle comments may plant seeds in some, but I think that very very strong medicine is required for many.

Edited by - a paduan on 26 January 2003 3:59:52

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit