Inside Africa

by Vee 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Vee
    Vee

HI there to all,

Not sure if any of you remember reading my previous post but I was leaving to work in Ghana, West Africa for 3 months. Well I am here, and have been for a few days now.

It is great to finally be expereincing something I have been planning for many months now. It is an amazing place just buzzing with life. The people are extremely friendly and this makes adjusting much easier.

I started at the school today where I will be teaching some of the time and it was quite an experience. The children are very difficult to control, and the main way teachers keep them in control is with physical discipline which is going to be very difficult to adjust to. The children have lovely natures though, they all cling on to me and call me teacher! They're extremely affectionate. As for my experiences in Ghana so far, well I would have to say they've been a real culture shock. There is nothing western about the way of life here. There is a large amount of poverty and many familes live in very basic run down dwellings. The climate is very warm, and almost nothing I have brought with me is very practicle to wear. My one white cotton skirt is now a merky shade of grey!

I am living with one of the local Did's (a yogic nun) and the organisation is AMURTEL (Ananda Marga). Where I live is also a childrens home where 10 young girls who's parents could not afford to care for them have come. They're lovely girls and the speak much better English than the children in the school.

It has been a tough few days here, I've never felt more isolated in my life. There is nothing and no-one familiar to take refuge in. But I will stick it out and do my best, and I know that it will pay off its own rewards.

Thanks-you for taking the time to share this with me. This board has been a refuge for me before and now I can see that it will be again but for different reasons this time.

All my love, V**

• Francois
    Francois

Man, what an opportunity! You get to hang out here and feel some "home vibes" and we get to pick your brains about Africa! What a trade-off! How long are you going to be there? Perhaps you should read some of Wilbur Smith's books, historical novels about Africa. Some are serials with up to six or seven books and deal mainly with Rhodesia and ultimately with Zimbabwe. Helps you to really understand what's going on with Robert Mugabe.

Hope you will hang out a bunch, so we can really pick your brains while we're making you feel at home.

francois

• expatbrit
    expatbrit
    I've never felt more isolated in my life.

Glorious feeling, isn't it?

Expatbrit

• Mulan
    Mulan

What an incredible adventure. I would love to have done something like that in my youth.

My son has friends, who are missionaries (not JW's) in CAR (Central African Rep.). They wouldn't trade their life for anything (maybe safety). They raised their sons in Zaire, and left when the unrest forced all Americans out of that country. That's when my son met them, at high school here. As soon as the boys graduated, they went back to Africa. The eldest son flew back to the States to be best man at our son's wedding in 2001, and the other son was an usher. Both boys are in college here now though. The parents are lovely, and we've talked for hours about the JW's, and compared notes. They have concerns about their religion too, believe it or not. The mother loves the African people, and has conscience problems about telling them their religion is wrong (most are Muslim), when it makes them happy, and they are such good people. She wondered if Christianity really is the only way God will recognize you. A real revelation I thought.

Take care, and stay well. Tell us more. I love this stuff.

• Mary
    Mary

Hi Vee;

Yep, I remember your posting here just before you left! Any time we make big changes in our lives, it's always difficult to adjust. Give it time.......and I know you'll be very glad you went. Not many people get an opportunity to do what you're doing.

All the best,

Mary

• nightwarrior
    nightwarrior

Wow Vee

I have not read your previous postings, but still I hope that we will hear more from you, remember the web makes the world a small place, and you will always have someone here to talk too.

Before you know it, it will all be second nature to you, and you will wonder as to what you really miss from home..... in that when you go home you will miss the Ghana!!!!! funny but true..... stick it out and live for the experience....just think of those children who will benefit from you....again what a wonderful experience...live it and enjoy it....

Hopefully speak to you soon

Mrs Nightwarrior

• nightwarrior
    nightwarrior

Hi Vee

I have not read your previous postings, but what a wonderful experience you will have . be patient and stick it out and think of the good that you will be doing.

Before you know it, you will be wondering as to what you are missing from home, in that when you go home you will miss Ghana....believe it or not.....

Enjoy the privilege that has been extended to you, and enjoy teaching the children in your charge, and the difference that you will make in the lives of these children.

Remember the web has made the world a smaller place, and that someone on this site will always be here to talk to you and encourage you.

Hopefully we will speak to you soon, but remember to keep us all posted on your big adventure.

Hugs

Mrs Nightwarrior

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit